PDA

View Full Version : Sugestion: Alt names linked to Main name

Deamus
06-26-2010, 05:42 AM
My suggestion is simple: Can you please link the names of the alternate characters to main character?

I was playing 5 years ago Guild Wars and it had this feature which helped identify who is playing that character if you knew his main .

Atm many have problem even to distinguish the persons in their guild cause some people try to variate their names which is very good. Some people like me try to keep a pattern of naming so people can recognize us .Its very confusing...

You could create a pop-up like there is for items so when you click someones name it show you all his alts .

Imo this could be a really nice addition. And it would stop questions in guild chat like : "Who are you ? Are you new to the guild ? " to a player that might be your leader :P

LordRavnos
06-26-2010, 05:43 AM
would not bother me as long as I had the option to turn it off. Sometimes I run to an alt for a few hours of playing without people asking me to heal or be a haste bot

hecate355
06-26-2010, 07:06 AM
i agree, if its optional, its ok

only leads to further isolation and countless quarrels about 'i know what you did last summer,' if cant be turned off

there is flip side to what i say, but we really dont need people calling you names before you entered their group or did quest with them (flip side is, sometimes im quite sure i dont wanna group with said person ever again, no matter what char hes on, just that having such tools would raise more problems than its worth)

Deamus
06-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Well imo keeping anonymity like above you described , it causes so much problems . People behaving badly just because you know only 1 of his alts so they can use another alt to scam/harass or even take advantage of you joining your lfm .

I was in Europe and it wasn't so bad as you think where everybody knew each other , it was actually far much better with tighter community and believe me way more polite !

Why do this optional ? Are people so afraid to know who their alts are ? And if yes why ?

PS. I always keep my name pattern and i have my alts in bio .

Claver
06-26-2010, 07:24 AM
This would have to be optional

I would be extremely upset if this was a mandatory feature

flynnjsw
06-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Well imo keeping anonymity like above you described , it causes so much problems . People behaving badly just because you know only 1 of his alts so they can use another alt to scam/harass or even take advantage of you joining your lfm .

I was in Europe and it wasn't so bad as you think where everybody knew each other , it was actually far much better with tighter community and believe me way more polite !

Why do this optional ? Are people so afraid to know who their alts are ? And if yes why ?

PS. I always keep my name pattern and i have my alts in bio .

Why optional? There are people that like to play anonymously. That's what the Anonymous button is for.

itatchi83
06-26-2010, 08:54 AM
It is an option.

It is called the Bio...

Crazyfruit
06-26-2010, 09:12 AM
This is already an option for the MyDdo section if you choose to use it :)

FrozenDonkeyWheel
06-26-2010, 09:23 AM
There's lots of reasons why this should be optional. Maybe I'm experimenting with a weird, intentionally gimped build. I don't want that character associated with my mains, because I know how people are, they'll assume all my characters are gimped.
Or maybe I'm creating one for a static group, RP group, or PD group. I might want him to be completely independent of every other character.
Or maybe it's just a favor runner, with a nonsense name and a "zerg and leave everyone behind" attitude that doesn't fit my mains.
Like someone said, just MyDDO the character, and if the account is attached to it, you can see all the characters that person plays. At least the ones they choose to display.

Deamus
06-26-2010, 12:00 PM
There's lots of reasons why this should be optional. Maybe I'm experimenting with a weird, intentionally gimped build. I don't want that character associated with my mains, because I know how people are, they'll assume all my characters are gimped.
Or maybe I'm creating one for a static group, RP group, or PD group. I might want him to be completely independent of every other character.
Or maybe it's just a favor runner, with a nonsense name and a "zerg and leave everyone behind" attitude that doesn't fit my mains.
Like someone said, just MyDDO the character, and if the account is attached to it, you can see all the characters that person plays. At least the ones they choose to display.

Ok i have to admit you have good point there . As someone mentioned there is the anonymous option which people could use so it can be optional .

Myddo is not the same as the feature i mentioned above . That feature is much more user friendly.

Stormwine
06-26-2010, 12:13 PM
It is an option.

It is called the Bio...

Between the bio and my DDO do we really need anything else. There are time when people may just want their guild and/or friends to know their on this seems a lil to "big brother" to me.

Ssmooth
06-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I kind of see this as a non-issue. Between sigs and MyDDO, if they want who they are made public they'll easily be found in either location. Adding another tool the game that'll probably end up broken anyhow I think would be a waste of game resourses.

Besides, it would have to be an optional feature and the people who are now anon, will remain anon.

Tinrae
06-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Well as far as making it optional, Guild Wars had the option to mark yourself offline, so if you wanted to be left entirely alone while playing you would be shown as being offline to everyone including your guild.

I think another idea would be to allow for player notes on the guild menu. Many other games let you do that. IE: an officer can write a note to the side that a character is an alt of whoever so anyone in the guild could read the note.

Deamus
06-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Well as far as making it optional, Guild Wars had the option to mark yourself offline, so if you wanted to be left entirely alone while playing you would be shown as being offline to everyone including your guild.

I think another idea would be to allow for player notes on the guild menu. Many other games let you do that. IE: an officer can write a note to the side that a character is an alt of whoever so anyone in the guild could read the note.

What he said : /signed

Yes good point about GW and making that feature optional which people are so worried about "big brother". The above posters made it clear there is a reason for this to be optional.

Can we have that feature Devs ?

donfilibuster
06-28-2010, 06:17 AM
The anonymous function is a different option.
With anonymous u want to not show up at all in the group ads, who list, and friends list.
With another toon you want to show up in the group ads, who list, and friends list under that particular toon name.

Quijonsith
06-28-2010, 06:22 AM
I just wish the guild window could have comments under character names just like the friends window does. Then I could go through my alts in my guild and put my main's name under them for easy association.

This would also help us weed out our inactive players vs. less active alts of active players.

redgod
06-28-2010, 06:27 AM
My suggestion is simple: Can you please link the names of the alternate characters to main character?

I was playing 5 years ago Guild Wars and it had this feature which helped identify who is playing that character if you knew his main .

Atm many have problem even to distinguish the persons in their guild cause some people try to variate their names which is very good. Some people like me try to keep a pattern of naming so people can recognize us .Its very confusing...

You could create a pop-up like there is for items so when you click someones name it show you all his alts .

Imo this could be a really nice addition. And it would stop questions in guild chat like : "Who are you ? Are you new to the guild ? " to a player that might be your leader :P

i love it i want to squelch a player not their toon same deal

MyersVandalay
06-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Being able to put notes in guild, sounds like a good nice touch, for those who want to do it.

Alts being forced to be traceable to their mains = bad. Lots of people play alts for the sole purpose of not having to deal with their main's stresses. Quite a few clerics get fed up or tired of getting flooded with PM's to go to X, or go to Y, maybe they just want to sign on and hang with a few friends without getting flooded by PM's saying "hey man can you log onto your main, we really need a X for Y".

Many people log onto their alts because, they don't want to be on their main's at the moment, and I think that should be respected.

Someone brought up scamming/spamming/harrasment, that's what reporting is for, the GM's can certainly trace it to the main, and if the scammer etc didn't want to be traced to his main, he would just make a new f2p account to hide from players (GMs obviously could still at least tie it to the same internet connection)