PDA

View Full Version : Armoured Mage?

AnarchistHero
06-24-2010, 04:52 AM
Just a quick one, didn't there use to be feats or enhancements that lessened, or removed the arcane spell failure?
Combat Caster?
You could sue medium armour with no chance of failure?
maybe I'm thinking of NWN, but thought Id ask, any at all?
X

Rusty_Can
06-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Elf and drow: Arcane Fluidity (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Enhancement:Elven_Arcane_Fluidity_I).

Warforged: Inscribed Armor (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Enhancement:Warforged_Inscribed_Armor_I).

Symar-FangofLloth
06-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Also, armor with Twilight or Arcane Sigil abilities. Mithril is a plus as well.

sirgog
06-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Just a warning tho - these builds used to be quite viable, even strong, back when the cap was 14, as AC requirements were not extremely high.

Since then, however, the amount of AC required to be effective at reducing damage has skyrocketed. I'm not sure that arcane casters can achieve useful ACs any more.

GhoulsTouch
06-24-2010, 06:27 AM
That's why they should throw in DR at different stages of AC, or at least a base DR for different armor types.

Kriogen
06-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Just a warning tho - these builds used to be quite viable, even strong, back when the cap was 14, as AC requirements were not extremely high.

Since then, however, the amount of AC required to be effective at reducing damage has skyrocketed. I'm not sure that arcane casters can achieve useful ACs any more.
I had amored wizard with solid AC. It was good. Even got Titan gloves for -10% ASF. Really made a difference. And yes, that was when cap was 14.

In Vale (when cap was increased) I give up. I was just not worth it. I even have Chattering ring and other raid stuff. Its ... not profitable. I made a DT pyjama with healing amp and +1 exceptional CON. That did made a difference.

I tried. Really tried, but ... its was like dude that has to push a big rock on top of the hill.

oweieie
06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Fanged gloves as well.

You really want to shoot for at least a 70 AC at the higher levels, which is unrealistic for a pure wizard. You could probably get it with splashing other classes and a lot of other things that will be detrimental to your ability as a wizard and in the end not be worth it.

xanvar
06-24-2010, 02:16 PM
You could always keep your AC high for as long as it is effective. Feat and gear swaps are easy if you find the AC not worth it after say level 16.

oweieie
06-24-2010, 05:05 PM
You could always keep your AC high for as long as it is effective. Feat and gear swaps are easy if you find the AC not worth it after say level 16.

I do that with TRs, but you want to feat swap at 13 or before (DDOWiki Fred). After that it starts to get relatively expensive once you've used up your 1 free feat swap.

samthedagger
06-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Feat swap at 13 uses the same shard as 16. Perhaps you meant 12.

Twilight mithral full plate with Arcane Fluidity III gives you 5% ASF. The right gear (as others have noted) get that down to 0%. That plus a lot of other stuff and you can have decent AC. Plus, if you are arcane, you can keep displacement up. So it's possible to have good AC for normal and hard, but you won't be a master of AC. If you go with a sorcerer and multi-class as a paladin you can get your AC up a little bit higher. I've been looking at building a battle mage and you can get your AC up to respectable, but not incredible levels.

oweieie
06-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Feat swap at 13 uses the same shard as 16. Perhaps you meant 12.

Yeah, http://ddowiki.com/index.php?title=Fred&

darkforest
06-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Try it out for the glee of feeling invincible throughout low to mid-high levels. When AC no longer works, simply switch gears.

If I recall correctly,

Base
+5 mithril twilight FP
+5 mithril heavy shield
7?
Weapon of Greater Parrying
+5 barksin potion
+5 protection item
haste spell

46 so far

And if you want to go above the magical '50 AC or don't bother' cliche,
ChaosGarde
chattering ring
combat expertise
and other exceptional boni

Talon_Moonshadow
06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
One problem I see is that a Wizard who focuses on AC can actually get a higher AC without amor!

And one who does not invest heavily into it, will not get a emaningful AC for high level quests.

Although a moderate AC does make doing favor runs easier......but hardly needed there either.

Calebro
06-25-2010, 12:32 AM
You really want to shoot for at least a 70 AC at the higher levels, which is unrealistic for a pure wizard. You could probably get it with splashing other classes and a lot of other things that will be detrimental to your ability as a wizard and in the end not be worth it.
My 1rogue/2monk/17wiz has a theoretical AC of 72 on paper, fully geared and buffed.
He sits at about a buffed 49 or so at the moment, because he's missing that gear. Good enough to handle melee in GH, but I'd be comfortable with a little more for the Vale. Useless after that, unless I can get the gear I'm missing.

But still, having a respectable AC on a caster (respectable, not great) for 17 levels or so isn't bad at all. I highly doubt I'll find the gear I need before TR'ing him, but the next life holds a TON of promise. :)

IronClan
07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
My 1rogue/2monk/17wiz has a theoretical AC of 72 on paper, fully geared and buffed.
He sits at about a buffed 49 or so at the moment, because he's missing that gear. Good enough to handle melee in GH, but I'd be comfortable with a little more for the Vale. Useless after that, unless I can get the gear I'm missing.

But still, having a respectable AC on a caster (respectable, not great) for 17 levels or so isn't bad at all. I highly doubt I'll find the gear I need before TR'ing him, but the next life holds a TON of promise. :)

Curious what kind of stats did you choose? I have a 1 rog 2 monk 17 Wizard build that I want to have AC and extremely good saves.

I never have enjoyed "endgame" levels in D&D games much, so epic is totally unimportant and even running level 19-20 stuff on harder than normal/hard isn't a big concern... To my way of playing a character is pretty much over then (I like the journey more than the destination). TR seems like a possibility too.

Asketes
07-04-2010, 12:10 PM
And if you want to go above the magical '50 AC or don't bother' cliche,

it's more like 70 now, 50 is sooo Gianthold

:p