PDA

View Full Version : Human-Heal bot build

xzabitor
06-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Hello, this is my first build i have posted here, and though it may be similar to others. I built this primarily for healing, but it leaves out the balancing factor of offense to defense. Its more of a full time heal-bot more than anything. Give me your thoughts on what may need changed. Thanks.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 True Neutral Human Male
(20 Cleric)
Hit Points: 262
Spell Points: 1757
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 5
Will: 20

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 10 10
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 18 27
Charisma 12 12

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 1 10
Bluff 1 1
Concentration 6 25
Diplomacy 1 1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 1 1
Heal 4 8
Hide -1 -1
Intimidate 1 1
Jump 0 0
Listen 4 8
Move Silently -1 -1
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 -1
Spot 4 8
Swim 0 0
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I

Level 2 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I

Level 4 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Mental Toughness
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning II

Level 7 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I

Level 8 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery II

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III

Level 10 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III

Level 11 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration II

Level 13 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III

Level 14 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot IV

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery III

Level 16 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery IV

Level 17 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning III

Level 18 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration III

Level 19 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning IV

Level 20 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Intervention
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality II

gwlech
06-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Hello, this is my first build i have posted here, and though it may be similar to others. I built this primarily for healing, but it leaves out the balancing factor of offense to defense. Its more of a full time heal-bot more than anything. Give me your thoughts on what may need changed. Thanks.

(20 Cleric)

Strength 10 10
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 18 27
Charisma 12 12

Balance 1 10
Bluff 1 1
Concentration 6 25
Diplomacy 1 1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 1 1
Heal 4 8
Hide -1 -1
Intimidate 1 1
Jump 0 0
Listen 4 8
Move Silently -1 -1
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 -1
Spot 4 8
Swim 0 0
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Cleric)

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Cleric)

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric)

Level 16 (Cleric)

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)

Level 19 (Cleric)

Level 20 (Cleric)

I would take Maximize, Extend, and Quicken before level 12. Toughness at level 1 looks good. Mental Toughness is generally considered not worth its own salt, however, for a cleric that focuses on healing, its...ok.

Keep in mind that you really shortchange good groups and yourself if you always heal. I prefer to play my divines as an offensive caster moreso than a healer, as I find it to be much better to a group. Another point to mention, is that in MOST cases, if all you do is stand back and heal, you are not really contributing to the group very well, and may be shunned, blacklisted or criticized for piking. This won't be evident in lower levels, as most groups haven't really learned self-sufficiency yet, so they expect you to be their personal band aid dispenser.

Empower Heal is mostly worthless at lower levels...if you plan to take it, I would recommend you do so at level 15 or 18.

phalaeo
06-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I would take Maximize, Extend, and Quicken before level 12. Toughness at level 1 looks good. Mental Toughness is generally considered not worth its own salt, however, for a cleric that focuses on healing, its...ok.

Keep in mind that you really shortchange good groups and yourself if you always heal. I prefer to play my divines as an offensive caster moreso than a healer, as I find it to be much better to a group. Another point to mention, is that in MOST cases, if all you do is stand back and heal, you are not really contributing to the group very well, and may be shunned, blacklisted or criticized for piking. This won't be evident in lower levels, as most groups haven't really learned self-sufficiency yet, so they expect you to be their personal band aid dispenser.

Empower Heal is mostly worthless at lower levels...if you plan to take it, I would recommend you do so at level 15 or 18.

Why not Empower Heal at lower levels? You get enhancements to lessen the SP cost, whereas you have to pay "full" SP to use Empower. Also Maximize is too SP costly to be using at lower levels.

I agree with you when you tell the OP that you short change yourself by being a "healbot". Focus towards either Offensive Casting or Melee capable- remember that the faster the mobs die (or are CC'ed), the less healing you have to do. :)

gwlech
06-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Why not Empower Heal at lower levels? You get enhancements to lessen the SP cost, whereas you have to pay "full" SP to use Empower. Also Maximize is too SP costly to be using at lower levels.

I agree with you when you tell the OP that you short change yourself by being a "healbot". Focus towards either Offensive Casting or Melee capable- remember that the faster the mobs die (or are CC'ed), the less healing you have to do. :)

At low/mid level, Player hitpoints are usually not high enough to even warrant using meta-magics. If you get the best ardor item you can, max out your devotion line, and use maximize for burst heals when there is an emergency, then your spell points will be better spent, and not really wasted at all. Supplement with some CMW wands. (free and easy to get if you don't mind a tiny grind)

Taking Extend early on helps to save alot of spell points by extending low level buffs, and later on blade barriers.

Taking Maximize and Quicken before blade barrier helps to make the spell actually effective and great for processing meatloaf. I like to take empower as well, but its not necessary.

Empower heal becomes a crutch for a poorly played/geared cleric at low levels for the most part. This leads to rapid spell point exhaustion. You might be hard-pressed to actually fit the enhancements for cost reduction at lower levels as well, if you plan on maxing out toughness, devotion, and other enhancements.

At higher levels, (i.e. epics and elite raids) empower heal is worth using, because your heals may not actually fill up someone's hit points....this is provided you have suitable melees present.

EKKM
06-23-2010, 04:04 PM

(20 Cleric)

Strength 10 10
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 18 27
Charisma 12 12

Balance 1 10
Bluff 1 1
Concentration 6 25
Diplomacy 1 1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 1 1
Heal 4 8
Hide -1 -1
Intimidate 1 1
Jump 0 0
Listen 4 8
Move Silently -1 -1
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 -1
Spot 4 8
Swim 0 0
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Cleric)

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Cleric)

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric)

Level 16 (Cleric)

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)

Level 19 (Cleric)

Level 20 (Cleric)

I have a different opinion than Gwelch but see his points.

IO also agree with the above, don't be a pure heal bot, clerics can be very good cc casters and even have some good DPS spells (although bladebarrier is pretty situational in groups as it requires kiting)

Your stats are good.

I'd take these feats in this order:

1: Toughness, empower healing
3: extend
6: maximize
9: spell penetration
12: quicken
15: spell pen II
18: extra turning * see below

I don't like mental toughness at cap as the amount of spellpoints is not that significant. Especially with the new radient servant PrE. You will get more spell point savings out of the increased spell pen as it will save you from recasting offensive/cc spells.

I love empower healing at all levels (above 4ish) and haven't turned it off much since level 8-10 or so. For a non-twinked character sometimes you just dont have the right devotion/potency item for you best spells and the extra kickerreally helps in those tough fights.

You don't need quicken prior to level 12, even then its primarily for bladebarrier IMO. Its helpful in the shroud and really becomes essential only when you get mass heal. Before that you can chain all 4 mass cures pretty quickly. I maxed concentration and have an item so I'm also never interupted due to damage (or so rarely I can't recall it happening)

The extra turning is for the Radient Servant PrE, it has two types of healing powered by turn undead, one of which is a AOE heal over time that is affected by metas. We'll have to see how it works though (lammania seems to like it though). I believe that a RS turns regen over time so this feat my not be needed anyway.

If either the bursts aren't that impressive or you don't need the extra turns I'd take heighten spell with your last feat.

petegunn
06-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Whilst I won't go into the ins and outs of healing nor will I recommend builds, for me the most boring type of cleric/ fvs is the healbot. The reasons why are imo you need to be able to swing the odd melee weapon, if you pigeon hole yourself to strictly only healing, you close that door down. Then all you have to keep you interested is watching peoples red bars.

Being able to melee does not necessarily mean you have to splash other classes, divine power and divine favour can be used to bring your bab up.

My ideal cleric or fvs would be capable of swinging a sword or a axe of some description, when the going gets tough, but you play whatever makes you happy

Darwinnon
06-23-2010, 05:13 PM
The build seems pretty solid to me (and I've played a few healer types). :)

Most good groups love a good healer.

The Clerics that get shunned and blacklisted are the so called 'Battleclerics' who are neither good healers (IF they heal at all) nor good fighters (hint : 'Cleric' is a Caster Class, NOT a 'Melee Class) .

No self-respecting group will take offense to a Cleric keeping back from the fight and restricting himself to healing/buffing.

That said, even if you focus on healing your Cleric can and will make an offensive difference. Just be sure to cast a Bladebarrier or Greater Command at the right moment and you're group will love you for it (some more handy offensive spells besides those 2 though).

If they don't, then seek another group - cause you're pugging with morons then (DDO has a few of those running around - a lot of them 'battleclerics' themselves)... =)

xzabitor
06-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback all. Yes i noticed that i can do some offensive spells such as Destruction, which comes in handy for bosses/named imo. As for Mental Toughness, i believe it is very helpful. I took it for SP, although there could of been some better choices. Spells take sp, especially if a target gets a save, reflecting back to Destruction. I didn't include armor though so i could of took out those feats. A nice wizardry X which is extremely rare to come by would definitely get another cleric to what this one has. The circumstances of that are low from what I've seen on Argonessen so its server dependent i suppose. I agree with everyone on the offensive stance though. I love using the death pact spell, some of the wards, and other things when doing slayers. Blade barrier i have on hand regardless if i'm heal-bot very nice for raids. Also if you are a more offensive, i'd change up some of the stating, and add some to jump. Can't always rely on a caster for a jump spell, all though there is clickies. It's really all what you want to play. I prefer slight offensive spells but mostly heals. I will re-edit the build to best suite what was stated here, and will have it up soon.

ArloOne
06-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I have played pure healbots. The build you have posted looks like a solid healer and would be an asset to a party.
Even with focusing on healing as you have, you wil still be very effective with your offensive spell casting.

I say go for it. It looks fine. Some people enjoy the challenge of keeping a not so self-sufficient group alive and turning the tides with a few quality DV's.

I would build it just how you layed it out. It will be fun and rewarding.

Just my opinion.

Noctus
06-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Just keep in mind when playing, that the rightly times occasional Destruction, Comet Fall, Command or Greater Command can saves big amounts of SP for healing.

--> Switch out 1 MT for Heighten Spell, so you can do some offensive casting, should the need suddenly arise.