PDA

View Full Version : Spell Selection Advice

blumsborres
06-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi there,

I'm a human Sorcerer and I'm 10k XP away from level 13 and i'm having some trouble choosing spells. Swapping spells is very expensive at my level so I want to make the right choice. Please help me out. If you have any suggestions not in my list please let me know. Thanks.

-------------------------
Level 4
I have:
Phantasmal Killer
StoneSkin
Wall of Fire

Choosing between:
Enervatiion (build recommended)
Fire Shield
Level 5
Ihave
Cloudkill
Cone of Cold

Choosing between:
Ball Lightning
Break Enchantment (build recommended)
Hold Monster
Protection from Elements
Level 6
I have
Disintegrate

Choosing between:
Chain Lightning
Flesh to Stone (build recommended)
Greater Heorism

English_Warrior
06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Get Greater Heroism...best buff ever...and has benefits for all classes:

Fear Immunity
+4 To Hit
+4 Skills
+4 Saves
Temp HP

blitzschlag
06-23-2010, 08:47 AM
as lvl 4 i would not take stoneskin as you can buy wands in the 12. granted, those don't scale with level but still better than nothing.

Enervation can be used from scroll
Greater Heroism can be used from Scroll aswell

as lvl 4 i'd suggest going
WoF
DDoor (as Scrolls are rare and the spell is pretty helpful)
FireShield
Phantasmal Killer

lvl 5
Cone of Cold
Teleport
Break Entchantment
Hold Monster

lvl 6
Disintegrate
Flesh to Stone
Reconstruct/Chain Lightning (depends if you play with lots of WF or are a WF)

Rusty_Can
06-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Get Greater Heroism...best buff ever...and has benefits for all classes:

True, but you can buy scrolls.

Depending on your resources, you might dump some "buff" spells which are available via scrolls and wands, such as Greater Heroism and Stoneskin.

Lvl 4 spells: I would get Wall of Fire, PK, Enervation and Fire Shield (this spell might save your life in several situations); PK and Enervation can be dropped later, when you get Finger of Death (lvl 7) and Energy Drain (lvl 9). If/when you drop them, get Dimension Door.

Lvl 5: I like Break Enchantment.

Lvl 6: being your sorcerer human, I would get Flesh To Stone and resort to scrolls to cast Greater Heroism.

bradleyforrest
06-23-2010, 09:21 AM
lvl 5
Teleport

lvl 6
Reconstruct

You mentioned that you can scroll GH & Enervation, then recommend 2 more spells that you can scroll without a problem.

I'd take Break Enchantment or Protection from Elements at level 5 and Flesh to Stone at level 6. There are a few quests that, while you may not need it, it makes it much easier. Chain Lightning isn't bad, either.

blitzschlag
06-23-2010, 09:28 AM
You mentioned that you can scroll GH & Enervation, then recommend 2 more spells that you can scroll without a problem.

I'd take Break Enchantment or Protection from Elements at level 5 and Flesh to Stone at level 6. There are a few quests that, while you may not need it, it makes it much easier. Chain Lightning isn't bad, either.

you are absolutely right about teleport but i still take reconstruct on my wf casters. scrolling is to unreliable for a in combat repair (and it takes to much time anyway). seeing the poster is a fleshy i stand corrected ;)

Dozen_Black_Roses
06-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi there,

I'm a human Sorcerer and I'm 10k XP away from level 13 and i'm having some trouble choosing spells. Swapping spells is very expensive at my level so I want to make the right choice. Please help me out. If you have any suggestions not in my list please let me know. Thanks.

Level 4
I have:
Phantasmal Killer Keep this until you get finger of death then swap out for
something else, as creatures save too much from this as you
get higher levels.
StoneSkin Swap out for something else such as Dimension Door, you can use wands of stoneskin you can buy from the 12 vendor for. You can not buy scrolls of dimension door except from the auction house. It is a useful spell through end game.
Wall of Fire

Choosing between:
Enervatiion (build recommended) I would pick this spell, but be aware that you can use scrolls just as easily as there is no save for this, only spell resistance so the DC does not change whehter you cast it from scroll or spell, only that you could cast it faster from a spell due to scroll cooldowns
Fire Shield Definitely take this spell, put it on hot bar, with one space for fire and one for the cold version
Level 5
Ihave
Cloudkill
Cone of Cold

Choosing between:
Ball Lightning I would choose ball lightning as it is usefull on mobs that wall of fire wont injure such as the blackheart skeletons, and is a nice AOE alternative spell
Break Enchantment (build recommended)Second choice, nice to have but not essential
Hold Monster Another nice spell choice, this allows your party members to always land criticals on their attacks of held monsters, and can be another form of cc, and/or give you time to then cast more offensive or insta-kill spells
Protection from Elements
Level 6
I have
Disintegrate

Choosing between:
Chain Lightning
Flesh to Stone (build recommended) I would choose this, very helpful from your level to end game.
Greater Heorism can use scrolls of this

Answers in purple. Remember you are a sorceror, you have limited spell selection, but more spell points; and should focus on offensive or cc spells, not buffs. Also you keep saying build recommended, if you are following a posted build,keep in mind that is what spells that person chose as they like those and fits their playstyle. My answers fits my playstyle, and also fit with my financial ability to buy scrolls for certain spells, others dont have that resource. When I say focus on offensive or cc spells, that is my opinion, others like being buffers or de-buffers and may choose spells along that route.

tinyelvis
06-23-2010, 10:01 AM
4th level
PK is double save spell. Not a very good spell unless you are super spec'd DC build, or plan to fight a lot of low level easy stuff. Stone skin can easily be cast by wand. So, consider swapping these two

Charm monster is probably the best 4th level spell, certainly the best that you dont have. DDoor is also incredibly useful.

5th level
Break enchantment really is not needed anymore. Any one of the other three are much much better choices. Hold monster will make most quests so incredibly easy for your melee since held mobs are auto critical hit. Ball lightning is great if you spec for it. Among other things it can be used to kill fire/cold immune massed mobs. At some point, protection from elements is kinda a must have unless you want to spend money on pots or rely on others.

6th Level
Flesh to stone is a fine suggestion here. It essentially is an instant kill spell and can be used on most mobs immune to death spells.

Spells you pretty much always want to scroll cast
Teleport, Greater Heroism

Spells on your list that you will not want to scroll cast
Enervation....pretty much any time you need to use enervation the mob has spell resistance. If you scroll cast this, it will then be very ineffective when really needed. Plus scroll casting is slow and since you almost always want to follow up enervation with a spell, this delay can be costly especially if you need to swap back to a weapon set before casting.

blumsborres
06-23-2010, 11:06 AM
thank to all those who replied! :D

if i get Flesh To Stone doesn't that take the place of Hold Monster?

blitzschlag
06-24-2010, 01:52 AM
thank to all those who replied! :D

if i get Flesh To Stone doesn't that take the place of Hold Monster?

hold monster has a will based save while fts has a fortitude based save.

so generally you might want to use fts on castertypes and hold monster on melee types...

blumsborres
07-15-2010, 11:28 AM
well here i am again not knowing what spells to go for... need some insights especially about what's needed for higher level quests.... please advise me especially if the spells you recommend are not in my list of choices

I'm leveling to 15 Fire/Ice speced and I like instakills and some crowd control.
(I was Fire/Ice and Elec/Acid speced... but i dropped Elec/Acid for Spell Penetration cause i didn't have any elec/acid spells anyway.)

Level 5
-------
I have Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, Hold Monster

Protection from Elements seems to be my only choice here. Can you suggest something else?

Level 6
-------
I have Disintegrate and Flesh to Stone

Should i get

Greater Heroism
Reconstruct
or something else?

Level 7
------
I have Finger of Death

Should I get Banishment, Delayed Blast Fireball, Ottos Sphere of Dancing, or Waves of Exhaustion?

Rusty_Can
07-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Ok. I'll try. Anyway, be aware that much boils down to personal preference and playing style.

Level 5
-------
I have Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, Hold Monster

Protection from Elements seems to be my only choice here. Can you suggest something else?

Since sorcerers haven't many spell slots, they should try to resort to wands and scrolls when possible. Protection from elements is one of those spells.

I like Break Enchantement: it helps getting rid of hostile Walls of Fire, Blade Barriers and such; just remember that it's an AoE spell and it will dispel also yours .....

Wave of Fatigue is another option, especially if you haven't Wave of Exhaustion.

Level 6
-------
I have Disintegrate and Flesh to Stone

Should i get

Greater Heroism
Reconstruct
or something else?

Uhm.... if you were WF, Reconstruct without any hesitation. Anyway, as arcane caster, you will be often asked to help repairing WF melee characters tanking raid bosses (many raid bosses deal cursed wounds which prevent healing; Repair spells aren't affected); the spell is much more effective than scrolls. You might consider taking this spell when you start raiding (e.g. VoD, Tod).

As for GH, scrolls.

Level 7
------
I have Finger of Death

Should I get Banishment, Delayed Blast Fireball, Ottos Sphere of Dancing, or Waves of Exhaustion?

Banishment is nice in some quests, but I would skip it on a sorcerer.

Delayed Blast Fireball: keep casting Wall of Fire .....

Otto's Sphere of Dancing: nice spell; it works even in epic content; get it if you can.

Waves of Exhaustion: very nice debuff spell, which works on almost any high-end boss; get it if you can.

shagath
07-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Delayed Blast Fireball: keep casting Wall of Fire .....
Nice reply overall but this DBF diss I don't agree. If you keep yourself only doing WoF, you will end up using lots of healing resources(cleric/fvs sp) with non-epic content. 2000dmg fireballs, yes please! :)

blumsborres
07-18-2010, 11:29 AM
TYVM for your insights. I would like to point out though that I don't think Break Enchament affects WOF and Blade Barrier since it only affects enchantments transmutations and curses

Spiffyspiffy
07-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Since sorcerers haven't many spell slots, they should try to resort to wands and scrolls when possible. Protection from elements is one of those spells.

No, it's not. The recast cooldown is significantly higher when using a scroll, and its the same cooldown for -all-scrolls-, meaning if you're using Heal scrolls as a fleshie, you're stuck with a choice of Heal or Protection instead of casting both.

Scrolling protection from elements is only feasible when you have protection from energy. But that's a full spell level.

I like Break Enchantement: it helps getting rid of hostile Walls of Fire, Blade Barriers and such; just remember that it's an AoE spell and it will dispel also yours .....

While its undeniably a useful spell, this is oddly the opposite of the above. It's just as useful from a scroll.

Wave of Fatigue is another option, especially if you haven't Wave of Exhaustion.

They actually stack, but level 5 is just too crowded.

Banishment is nice in some quests, but I would skip it on a sorcerer.

Banishment is a will save, wail is a fortitude save, use it on orthons. Banishment can also be used at range and is achieved many levels earlier.

Waves of Exhaustion: very nice debuff spell, which works on almost any high-end boss; get it if you can.

If you intend to do vod on anything higher than normal, epic dq, or several other quests then you can fit it. If you intend to quit ddo or TR as soon as you hit level 20, then you don't need it.

TYVM for your insights. I would like to point out though that I don't think Break Enchament affects WOF and Blade Barrier since it only affects enchantments transmutations and curses

Break Enchantment absolutely dispells wall of fire and blade barrier.

Rusty_Can
07-18-2010, 07:19 PM
No, it's not. The recast cooldown is significantly higher when using a scroll, and its the same cooldown for -all-scrolls-, meaning if you're using Heal scrolls as a fleshie, you're stuck with a choice of Heal or Protection instead of casting both.

Scrolling protection from elements is only feasible when you have protection from energy. But that's a full spell level.

1. Well, in my experience, 95% of the time, you need protection from a specific elemental damage type (often fire or electricity, a few times acid or cold); thus, you can keep casting Protection from Energy (lvl 3 spell).
2. Protection from Energy is also available on wands, which don't share their cooldown with scrolls; yes, switching gear can be annoying.
3. Anyway, when you are buffing your party, cooldown doesn't really matter.
4. If you are talking about combat situations, then you will probably want the Mass version of the spell.

Btw, as I said, it boils down to personal preference and playing style.

While its undeniably a useful spell, this is oddly the opposite of the above. It's just as useful from a scroll.

No. The scroll is caster lvl 9, but the spell caps at caster lvl 15. Scrolls are waaaay less effective.

They actually stack, but level 5 is just too crowded.

They used to stack; do they still do?

Anyway, my advice was to get at least one.

Break Enchantment dispels walls of fire, blade barriers, fogs, webs, charms and a lot of other stuff.

Last but not least, I'd like to see even more useful spells, so sorcerers could regret even more they didn't roll a wizard *grins*.

Spiffyspiffy
07-18-2010, 08:16 PM
1. Well, in my experience, 95% of the time, you need protection from a specific elemental damage type (often fire or electricity, a few times acid or cold); thus, you can keep casting Protection from Energy (lvl 3 spell).
2. Protection from Energy is also available on wands, which don't share their cooldown with scrolls; yes, switching gear can be annoying.
3. Anyway, when you are buffing your party, cooldown doesn't really matter.
4. If you are talking about combat situations, then you will probably want the Mass version of the spell.

In my experience:

1) Sorcs can't fit protection from energy
10) Protection is used as a stand in for HP and recast often.
11) If you could fit protection from energy, having both would be useful due to cooldowns.
100) The primary reason to recast Protection often is to save the sorcerers butt and its just a mana waste to use the mass version. A wiz/cleric/fvs has them for zone-in-and-buff periods. Also, good luck fitting another level 7 spell. [Fod, Waves, Hold monster mass, Ottos]
101) The spell caps out at 120hp protection, but the scroll at caster level 9 only provides 108. Protection from energy scrolls/wands are even worse, giving only 60hp of protection.

Rusty_Can
07-19-2010, 06:58 AM
10) Protection is used as a stand in for HP and recast often.

I know only few quests where casters continuously receive massive elemental damage and many of those are fire-themed; Fire Shield can help there.

100) The primary reason to recast Protection often is to save the sorcerers butt and its just a mana waste to use the mass version.

The single target version is lvl 5 and its base cost is 30 spell points; the mass version is lvl 7 and its base cost is 40 spell points: considering that the mass version can actually affect the whole party, it seems much more efficient.

Ofc, if you are planning to cast it only on yourself, then I agree ....

Also, good luck fitting another level 7 spell. [Fod, Waves, Hold monster mass, Ottos]

Yes, this is an issue for sorcerers and I'm glad it is ...... all the spells you are listing are useful indeed, but I've seen sorcerers without some of them and still doing their job.

101) The spell caps out at 120hp protection, but the scroll at caster level 9 only provides 108. Protection from energy scrolls/wands are even worse, giving only 60hp of protection.

Uhm.... just for the record, there are caster lvl 10 wands, which provide 120 points protection for 10 minutes.

Anyway, I'm not saying that the lvl 5 spell is useless; I'm just saying that you can live without .....

drachine
07-24-2010, 07:21 PM
well i can't remember level 10. but for me i use the following spells and pretty much every spell on the list is essential for different reasons.

1st
hypnotism
jump
nightshield
tumble

2nd
blur
resist energy
scorching ray
web

3rd
chain missiles
displacement
haste
suggestion

4th
dimension door
fire shield
phantasmal killer
wall of fire

5th
ball lightning
cloudkill
cone of cold
protection from elements

6th
chain lightning
disintegrate
flesh to stone

7th
delayed blast fireball
finger of death
waves of exhaustion

8th
otto's irresistible dance
polar ray
repair critical damage, mass

9th
energy drain
hold monster, mass
wail of the banshee

with the current content and fixes and everything, many of these i find essential, i can't think of anything i would take in the place of any of them

Sweyn
07-24-2010, 07:43 PM
My Sorc's spells :

1st
Jump
Merfolks
Nightshield
Magic Missles

2nd
Web
Scorching Ray
Knock
Resists

3rd
Haste
Displacement Don't have blur becasue it doesn't stack with displace
Rage If you are caster and don't have this spell, I will not invite you back to my groups
Halt Undead- Yea i know it can be cast from scrolls just fine but other level3 spells are meh

4th
PK If you have a high CHA fleshie, the DC on this can be fairly high, and it is on a different cooldown than FoD which allows you to spam it
Ddoor
Fireshield
Wall of Fire

5th
Break enchantment Too lazy to get scrolls and level 5 spells suck anyway
Cone of cold
Protection from Elements
Cloudkill

6th
Disentigrate
Flesh to Stone
Reconstruct

7th
Finger of Death
Waves of Exhaustion
Delayed Blast Fireball

8th
Otto's Dance
Polar Ray
Trap the Soul Extremely useful, but expensive, spell. It's a will save based so works better than FoD on a lot of things, also works on undead and living spells

9th
Wail of the Banshee
Mass Hold Monster If you run epics at all, take this!!!
Energy Drain

Thesoulgazer
08-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Try Aspenor

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=175911

soulaeon
08-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Learn Necrotic Ray instead of Enervation, if you really want something like that.