PDA

View Full Version : 2 Quick suggestions for Masters Touch...

knightgf
06-21-2010, 10:57 PM
I've heard about the new changes to master touch, and while it may be disappointing to many, at least I can use it with little consequence, and it can still have the potential to be improved.

From what I understand, the change gives you proficiency in whatever simple, martial or 'normal' shield weapon you may have in your hands. And furthermore, this enchantment does not bind the weapons and can be traded to another player. Well, if that's going to happen, I have 2 suggestions I hope you can quickly add to Masters Touch before it is released:

1. Allow masters touch to be a 'touch' range ally spell alongside a self-cast spell. That way, genuine requests to grant proficiency in a simple, martial or normal shield weapon can be processed faster, and safer. After all, the spell would live up to its name if it required you to touch the mentioned weapons in order to grant proficiency in them.

2. The timer on masters touch on the affected items should ONLY run down while the weapon(s) and/or shield are equipped, and pause while it is /sheathed or in your inventory. This can increase the lifespan of the spell, especially for secondary weapons that players may use.

These additions would be nice to masters touch, as it would make the spell more useful for those who currently use it already, and make the proposed changes to the spell safer to use, without worry or risk of your weapon(s)/shield(s) being scammed from you.

Alabore
06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Stray thought.
Rework martial proficiencies so one "grand" proficiency covers them all.
Add specific proficiencies for rogues/elves/bards/monks.
One switch, less lag; didn't NWN1/NWN2 work this way?

:)

Eladrin
06-22-2010, 08:49 AM
1. Allow masters touch to be a 'touch' range ally spell alongside a self-cast spell. That way, genuine requests to grant proficiency in a simple, martial or normal shield weapon can be processed faster, and safer. After all, the spell would live up to its name if it required you to touch the mentioned weapons in order to grant proficiency in them.
I really like this idea. I've put it into the "to-do" list, but it won't make it to U5.

gwlech
06-22-2010, 08:52 AM
I for one will be glad at least not to have my client freeze up for 5-20 seconds every time Master's Touch toggles. :p

Seriously, I have to watch the timer on Master's Touch and make sure that it won't run out while I am kiting or zerging...otherwise I could get killed. Sometimes, my reaction is "oh ****!" then i swap to a tower shield and just hold down block till the lag clears.

bradleyforrest
06-22-2010, 10:37 AM
I for one will be glad at least not to have my client freeze up for 5-20 seconds every time Master's Touch toggles. :p

Seriously, I have to watch the timer on Master's Touch and make sure that it won't run out while I am kiting or zerging...otherwise I could get killed. Sometimes, my reaction is "oh ****!" then i swap to a tower shield and just hold down block till the lag clears.

I've noticed that this lag is entirely based on your computer. I have a pair of computers that my wife and I play DDO on. One of them is a system that has nothing older than 6 months in it. The other is 4 years old with a 6 month old video card. On the old computer, Master's touch lags me for 30 seconds. On the new computer, I may see a stutter, but not more more than a second.

I suppose my point is, why does anything have to be done client-side on this? Certainly the client isn't telling the server what I'm proficient with. That would just be begging for someone to exploit.