PDA

View Full Version : how do you move - aiming wall of fire

Setin_Myways
06-21-2010, 06:49 AM
I am beginning to change my approach to how i navigate the game. I have been a melee for quite some time, so for me, I use the 'T' key and run rampant. I really like this approach and have grown accustom to it.

Well, now i am playing a caster and I am finding more people tell me I need to give up the 'T' key and go back to using the wsad (mostly the ad) to navigate and then i can click and 'aim' my spells, particularly firewall (is this a carry over from WOW? it is wall of fire right?) I still use the "t' key and right click when i need to click on an item, and use the f# to select a party for buff or just use my # and scroll bars, but i am finding as my spell book gets larger, this is getting harder and harder.

So, i am asking, what do you all do and what do you think is best? I think there are + and - to both approaches and I am hoping that the new functions that allow you to scroll weapon sets might also allow the mouse scrolling of spells as well...

So do i need to relearn how to navigate the game or is there hope to remain a 't' key type of caster?

Aurora1979
06-21-2010, 06:53 AM
personally i have mouse in my right hand, hold left butto to pan around, right button to swing attack.

I use left hand for arrows keys to navigate and keypad. I have block and use on right ctrl and 0. I then put whatever spells or items i need to quick swap on 1 tool bar and use 1-9 to activate them.

I have about 8-10 tool bars on my screen at a time and i find i have to shuffle some bits around occassionally but in battle its very effective.

Setin_Myways
06-21-2010, 06:57 AM
So you can use the number pad to select a toolbar rather than the ctrl + #? did you have to remap that or is it default. I know you needed to remap the right ctrl.

very interesting.

toastjeff
06-21-2010, 06:59 AM
i can click and 'aim' my spells, particularly firewall (is this a carry over from WOW? it is wall of fire right?)

To answer your other question politely, before others potentially jump down your throat for it, no, firewall is not a holdover from WoW, it is a holdover from PnP D&D from the early 1970's.

sirgog
06-21-2010, 07:02 AM
For Firewall - Always cast while jumping unless you have a compelling reason not to. Use 'WASD' to move, position mouse over the area you want the centre of the firewall on, then hit '3' (my FW hotkey). The location of the centre of the firewall is now set - next, you decide the direction it faces.

While it is casting (takes 0.7 seconds, 0.35 if quickened), hold left-click and spin the mouse to control the direction you face. The firewall will appear at right angles to the direction you are facing when you finish casting the spell.

Example: Consider a clock face. You are at the centre, and want a firewall that is centred at the 12 and reaches to the 4. Point your mouse over the 12 and hit your FW button (the number key 3 in my case, just above 'e'). Before casting is complete, turn to face either the 2 or the 8 (you'll need to mouse turn to turn around quickly enough). Bingo, done.

Aurora1979
06-21-2010, 07:02 AM
So you can use the number pad to select a toolbar rather than the ctrl + #? did you have to remap that or is it default. I know you needed to remap the right ctrl.

very interesting.

yea, if you go under key mapping, its...... about half way down i think. be warned though, if you have multiple hot bars open check which one is bordered in white..... thats the one the keys will use..... many a time ive rushed in, joined a group ran to the quest, entered, caught up with the group then started spamming potions of blindness removal :D

Krag
06-21-2010, 07:06 AM
I can't imagine how you guys can navigate without wsad. Maybe I have played too much FPS.

Kelavam
06-21-2010, 07:10 AM
I guess my approach is a little different. I have never really seen a need to cast while jumping but in a select few circumstances.

I am sure you have noticed that the wall will appear horizontal to the way you are facing. I target the monster I am aiming at (set up my scroll-wheel button to target closest enemy, then one of my side buttons to next/previous enemy), and then turn in my current position to face the wall the way I want. As long as the monster is not behind me, I can cast, and the wall will appear horizontal to the way I am facing.

I have not noticed many casters actually caring to face the wall, they just cast and go. Sometimes, though, it helps when you have 3 missile monsters, in an odd angle, firing at you.

atxken
06-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Another thing some people do is Assign shift #, alt #, cntrl #, win #. I think my 5 th bar is win. Anyways what this allows u to do is have instant access to 6 different bars. Your highligted bar for 1-10 plus the others. You do have to remap the keys for the 5 bars you will commonly use. Other thing I do different is I use a joystick then I can move jump, tumble, look, loot all from my joystick. Of course I also use a nostromo n52 for selecting potions, stances, strikes, gear swapping, etc.
If your using your number pad for your 1-10 you could use -, +, and the other non 1-10 keys for the dual key selection

Daggaz
06-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I play on a laptop with no mouse, just the crappy pad. It makes targeted casting a pain (one of the reasons i went with a battle cleric), but I kind of prefer it having played so much DoomII and such, before the advent of the mouse.

I use the arrow keys to move and have a bunch of hotbars. The main hotbar has three slots for weapons, some permanent spells (heal, mass cmw, blade barrier etc), and a couple spots for switch out spells like break enchantment and greater command, depending on quest. So I can use the F keys and the 1-0 keys to do most of my dirty work quickly and efficiently while still moving, but for anything not "hot" I have to take a few seconds to hunt it down and click it, which admitedly does suck sometimes. Need to work on key mapping actually, im just waay to lazy to get around to it.

sirgog
06-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I guess my approach is a little different. I have never really seen a need to cast while jumping but in a select few circumstances.

I am sure you have noticed that the wall will appear horizontal to the way you are facing. I target the monster I am aiming at (set up my scroll-wheel button to target closest enemy, then one of my side buttons to next/previous enemy), and then turn in my current position to face the wall the way I want. As long as the monster is not behind me, I can cast, and the wall will appear horizontal to the way I am facing.

I have not noticed many casters actually caring to face the wall, they just cast and go. Sometimes, though, it helps when you have 3 missile monsters, in an odd angle, firing at you.

I tab-target when absolute precision isn't needed. But sometimes, you are best served by a Firewall that's not centred on a particular mob (particularly when trying to kill two archers with one FW, and they are almost a full FW length apart).

Facing walls intelligently is a huge advantage in certain areas - particularly when running down a somewhat narrow corridor. Setup a Firewall that extends down the length of a part of the corridor, and you make quite a large area lethal to mobs.

Lithic
06-21-2010, 08:09 AM
I tab-target when absolute precision isn't needed. But sometimes, you are best served by a Firewall that's not centred on a particular mob (particularly when trying to kill two archers with one FW, and they are almost a full FW length apart).

Facing walls intelligently is a huge advantage in certain areas - particularly when running down a somewhat narrow corridor. Setup a Firewall that extends down the length of a part of the corridor, and you make quite a large area lethal to mobs.

Firewall actually has a haste-sized (or slightly bigger) circle of doom centered around the target you cast it on. The orientation of the firewall has no bearing on the shape of the damage area, unless the monster is directly in the wall itself, in which case it takes the increased damage rather than the "splash".

You can test this with any monster firewall. Go stand right at the edge of a firewall along the axis as such: (x is you, ----- is the wall orientation)

X --------------------

You will be unharmed as long as you don't touch the fire itself. If you face the firewall instead:
X

--------------------------

Then you must be very far away from the wall to avoid damage, and the closer to the middle of the wall you are, the further you need to be:

1 2 3 4 5
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

In the above, wall C would hit all 5 targets, while wall B would only hit 2-4, and wall A might only hit target 3.

sephiroth1084
06-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Yeah, firewall really needs to be manually targeted much of the time.

How you go about dealing with reconciling your most comfortable way to play, and adjusting to the way spellcasters function in space is likely going to involve a great deal of trial and error.

As for me, I use a gamepad (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=153100).

Setin_Myways
06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
To answer your other question politely, before others potentially jump down your throat for it, no, firewall is not a holdover from WoW, it is a holdover from PnP D&D from the early 1970's.

Hmmm, what version are you talking about? is this a chain mail thing? I have been playing PnP since 1977-78 and in the original (or the first i owned) box set (the blue and white one with the dragon on the cover) I do not think it was in there ( i do not remember it going above lvl 3 spells, but it was a long time ago and it was the '70s and i was in Jr high... so lots of confusion :}) , but i know that from 1st ed Ad&d, it was wall of fire, or wall of ice or wall of force...this would be true for every Crpg version of D&D from the SSI gold box sets, through baldurs gate, and both NWN 1 & 2... so i would hardly think this is the common way to refer to the spell.

I have never heard it called firewall before playing DDO.

Kelavam
06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
I guess I never did clarify. Left hand on the WASD (I use E and Q to strafe right and left), click the middle mouse button to target, and my wall of fire quick slot. If I need to target between two, say, archers, I use the quick keys.

Gorbadoc
06-21-2010, 11:32 AM
WASD
Personally, I move everything one key to the right; ESDF replace WASD, and W and R are used to strafe. I bind Q, A, and Z to hotbars, and my pinky has something useful to do besides hit tab.

'Firewall' versus 'Wall of Fire'
If you were wondering about the etymology of calling it 'firewall' rather than 'wall of fire', this probably isn't the best place for an informed discussion. Five minutes with Google hasn't given me a conclusive explanation:
The term first came up in the 1700s. It's a structural device to prevent the spread of fire. Eventually, it was applied to automobiles and airplanes, as well.
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, the term came to be applied to a computer network security device.
This may all be irrelevant; I found no connection between DDO and the above usages.

Here's my theory:
When a term is used frequently, shortened versions or shorter synonyms tend to prevail. For example, former Everquest players would refer to player characters as 'toons'. The term became popular throughout DDO culture, in large part because it's much shorter than 'character' or 'player character'. All the official documentation still uses the terms 'character' and 'player character', though.
Same story with 'firewall'. Wall of Fire became the single most important spell available to wizards and sorcerers. Not surprisingly, the spell was referred to all the time. If someone said 'firewall', everyone knew what they were talking about, and the term prevailed over the longer 'wall of fire' in common usage. I have no idea whether it started with one person using the word 'firewall', or what inspired the person to use that term, or whether multiple people independently started using the term without having previously heard it used that way. That's the way it often is with word histories.