PDA

View Full Version : New player needs direction

vaidd1986
06-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey all,

I finally decided to give DDO a try, i have downloaded the free play client and now i need the normal guidance:

Which server is best to roll on(for GMT raiding)?

Which class would be best for a new person to the game but still a desired asset end game?

Finally is the a "things i wish i knew before thread as i havent seen one yet"

zorander6
06-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Pick a server any server (and run to 100 favor.) If by the time you have 100 favor you don't like the server move to the next one. :)

Pick a class, any class, run it to 100 favor, if you don't like the class roll another (you can have 2 chars if you are F2P.) - Without knowing more we really can't make suggestions so all I can suggest is trying different classes. ;)

Beyond that have fun and keep asking questions.

vaidd1986
06-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Without knowing more we really can't make suggestions.

Well I have been playing MMORPGs since 99, played a little DD (but was more into warhammer fantasy). In MMORPGs i have played all types in raids, but mainly support or healing classes. Not really a main tanker but have done that before.

As for server i just want a populated server and one that will have raids or groups going at my peak time

Internetisrsbsn
06-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Well I have been playing MMORPGs since 99, played a little DD (but was more into warhammer fantasy). In MMORPGs i have played all types in raids, but mainly support or healing classes. Not really a main tanker but have done that before.

As for server i just want a populated server and one that will have raids or groups going at my peak time

Just a tip for you: Support and healing characters are expected to do more than just support/heal. I know in games like WoW, you're limited to only one role, but that's not the case in DDO. If you decide to go a healer, you will want to be able to do damage as well unless you want people not grouping with you. The cleric's spellcasting stat is also their spell DC stat so if you want to roll a cleric, learn what offensive spells/CC spells are most useful for said quest.

Edit: Same thing for rogues. I will never ever let a rogue who can't melee into my group. If you want to roll a rogue, get some strength and constitution. Just because rogues can disable traps and open locks doesn't mean that's all they do. Rogues who can dps as well as disable traps are far more favored than rogues who can only disable traps.

Irinis
06-20-2010, 01:09 PM
If you are F2P roll one different character on each server, as the first server bonus will get you free Turbine Points you can spend on adventure packs. You have to have packs to do any raids other than Tempest Spine (lvl10 free raid).

There are a bunch of new-player friendly builds in this thread. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660

Really the class you build that will be viable at endgame is one you like to play. So you will need to try a few different things. If you can do that as a free player while earning free points, then you'll have a headstart on someone who just rolled one character.

DDO is complicated and having some idea of the different classes will help you to be a better party member as well. Many classes are capable of crossing over in roles. So you'll see healers who can also tank pretty well, or bards who can main heal a raid, or fighters who take a couple of rogue levels for evasion and open locks.

There are some changes coming in the next update that may affect builds, for one Clerics are getting a PrE.

It's free to try out everything, so take advantage of having 2 character slots on 7 different servers, and don't be afraid to delete and reroll before lvl6. Once you have an idea of what you like to play and which server you feel most at home in, you can roll up your main.

xanvar
06-20-2010, 01:09 PM
All of the servers are pretty well populated. Clerics and Favored Souls are the two main healing classes in DDO. Favored Soul requires either purchase or unlock through favor, os you would be looking at playing a cleric as a healer most likely. Bards, Rangers and Paladins can heal but do other things much better than healing so they usually concentrate on healing themself or emergency save the party if things go bad healing. My best advise to you is branch out and try multiple characters and classes on different servers. By the time you figure out what you really like best you will have acquired some free turbine points. Enjoy the game and good luck.

vaidd1986
06-20-2010, 01:26 PM
I think I will take your advice and roll on several servers, but i take from everyones responses healers are needed over trap disarmers?

I may pay for my sub if i get into DDO, guess that removes the need for building favour?

Internetisrsbsn
06-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I think I will take your advice and roll on several servers, but i take from everyones responses healers are needed over trap disarmers?

I may pay for my sub if i get into DDO, guess that removes the need for building favour?

You always want a healer and a trap disabler. Both are equally needed in *most* quests. You also always want an arcane caster. They can save the cleric mana by buffing the divine/arcane mixed spells and they can nuke enemies pretty easily, assuming they have a high DC on their spells. Then you need some form of a tank to make the cleric's job easier. Then you need people who straight-up dps like a barbarian or kensai fighter.

And no, you still need favor for 32-point build, drow elf, favored soul, and veteran status, but you can just buy them. Then you need favor for the various houses for access to buffs, more bag space, more bank space, or more vendors. P2P gives you Warforged, Monk, access to all adventure packs, 10 character slots per server, and 500 DDO points per month in addition to everything a free player gets.

Irinis
06-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Healers find it easier to get groups on the whole, because some people don't realize rogues can DPS and some other people take offense at wiz/rog mixes. :)

If you go VIP right now you get bonus points, and you also get 10 character slots (4 of which would stay active if/when you unsub). So if you go VIP then you could just choose a server and roll up a bunch of characters to test things out. Wouldn't hurt to check out the different servers as f2p first though, at least until lvl4-6 or so and you know what you want to roll for your main.

sirgog
06-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Classes most in demand are generally Bards first (excellent buffers, good healers from level 1-10 and OK backup healers from 11-20, they can also choose one of melee and crowd control and be good but not great at it), healing classes second (Cleric and Favored Soul, both can and should do more than just heal - they can either be good but not great at melee or at crowd control), and the higher DPS melee classes (Barbarian, Paladins specced as Knights of the Chalice, Rangers specced as Tempests, Fighters specced as Kensais, the best Rogues, and many multiclasses).

Arcane casters are generally less in demand, although there are many endgame situations where they shine.

Internetisrsbsn
06-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Arcane casters are generally less in demand, although there are many endgame situations where they shine.

I always get an arcane caster in my group. I find them very useful for saving the cleric mana by buffing (this is separate from the rest of the list), nuking, and 1-shot spells if they have them and the DCs to efficiently use them.

Adarro
06-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Also, (I just wanted to start a post with 'Also')

If push comes to shove, you can transfer your toon to a different server (albeit not free), swapping out feats is relatively cheap at low levels (and you get one free swap) and finally there are lesser / greater / true-reincarnations that will let you tweak/rebuild/pseudo-restart/improve/fix/alter your toon in most ways imaginable even after you've reached cap.

Seeing as you've check these forums first, you're already far ahead of most people who start here.

Cleric is a very popular choice to start out with as healing is almost always needed with low-level (new) groups. If you're running solo, it's fairly easy to hire a contract meat shield.. um.. i meant hireling fighter to stand in front of you. That said, I've tried every class BUT cleric, and finally started one last week, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Good luck.

vaidd1986
06-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Thank you for all the responses, i think i will start getting into the game tonight. After reading through the abundent supply of new user posts on the forums.

JollySwagMan
06-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Howdy :).

First off: http://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide

Roll characters of all types, in addition to gaining favour/turbine points from the different servers you'll get an idea of what the different classes can do.

There will also be threads on most of the class forums that provide guidelines for new players.

Cleric is a solid choice for new players, because playing them effectively doesn't rely as much on great gear or optimal stat/feat/skill allocation so much as your playstyle. As a new player you'll want to have balanced groups to ease the burden on your spellpoints - try and ensure that there's at least one other caster in the group to help with crowd control or buffing.

You will find that most of the quests in the game can be completed with any type of group - the most common obstacle is that players may be unaware of how to complement each others' strengths.

Bards can be underrated at low levels, but are much loved at higher levels, especially the 'Warchanter' types. Bard can be tougher to plan out, but are relatively new player friendly if you want to play a pure support character.

I'd recommend doing some research first before levelling up a melee character - while the playstyle may seem simpler, melee characters have to plan their builds out carefully to avoid being dramatically underprepared for higher level quests.

theb
06-20-2010, 05:42 PM
(Copy/pasted from a similar thread)

In my opinion, what is best as a first character depends on how far you plan on taking the character, which levels you want it to be useful for and/or able to solo in, etc.

Drow are unlocked with 400 favor, earned from completing quests. The have higher base stats (are like a 32 point build instead of 28), and if you want two characters-one to get to know the game, another who is a melee to play to level 20-I would recommend getting 400 favor with a cleric and then making a drow paladin (what drow are best at is restricted as their stats are specifically allocated). Paladins are an excellent choice as a first level 20 character because they make their own very serviceable high level weapons, but are weak without drow or 32 point builds as they depend on multiple attributes. Higher favor will unlock 32 point builds, and even higher favor unlocks favored soul.

As a first character to dabble in the game or get to 400 favor, I recommend a pure cleric. At early levels, everyone melees, and spots are reserved for clerics in all low level groups that can't handle quests without one. Many quests need a rogue, but rogues depend on their gear to unlock traps, which you will not yet have.

As a first character to last to 20, I honestly recommend an 18 cleric/rogue, with rogue levels taken at 1 and 13. Rogue gives maximum use magic device skill and evasion, losing some casting ability. UMD is *always* extremely useful, but its importance for a first character cannot be underestimated. UMD allows use of more/cheaper/more powerful gear. The 1d6 to attack from level 1 is also good. Casting will be one level behind, only really significant at level 11 (when the other clerics all have the heal spell). 20 levels of cleric would be more conventional.

Healers are the best caster class to start out with, as other casters depend on gear to overcome the various resistances/spell resistance of enemies. Clerics simply cast on their party. Also, they don't have to worry about being locked into spells like a sorcerer or favored soul, and don't have to worry about inscribing spells and finding spell scrolls like a wizard. In any case, casters should probably be warforged, drow, or 32 point humans regardless.

Any melee AC build is totally gear dependent and entirely out of the question. Damage dealing builds are more realistic, as they mostly depend on weapons. Consider going for two handed fighting as two weapon fighting requires dexterity (spreading your ability points thin) and two weapons (spreading your resources across weapons). Barbarians use few stats, and if you really want to melee I recommend a dwarf or human (the human recommendation is for healing amplification and is idiosyncratic advice, much like my recommending an 18/2 cleric over a pure one). Barbarians are the least self sufficient class, but hireling cleric NPCs are cheap-much cheaper than heal potions. Learning to use them effectively is tricky, though, and good PC healers are better.

For someone totally new to D&D and MMORPGs a halfling fighter has the spare feats to take self-healing halfling dragonmarks and is the best choice (even more so than cleric, so no one else will depend on his heals) but that doesn't apply to you. They are good at soloing as they are self sufficient, even more so than clerics, though non-casters lose the ability to universally solo any quest around level 10 or so.

For someone with extensive gaming experience, like you, bard may be the best choice. They are squishier than true melees, but played with skill they provide abilities no other class can, and more abilities than any other class does. They have great UMD and are the most in demand/least supplied class-at level 20. Anything before then, not only are they not appreciated, but the mechanics of the game make having two bards in one party undesirable. The class is flexible, although your build should be less so: find a template that suits your style. Once again, I am going to recommend drow or 32 point dwarf.

If you want to splurge, 32 point warforged wizards with a rogue splash (18/2 is standard, but I prefer 17/2/1 wizard/rogue/barbarian (still get level 9 spells, get 10% speed boost, get toughness enhancement and hp from the barbarian level, get ability to whack things early on with an axe). Warforged repair themselves with an arcane spell, and the wizard's high intelligence meshes well with rogue skills. Rogues are unavailable as hirelings currently, and this is an excellent solo build. This character has evasion and can take a feat to use its intelligence modifier as its reflex save!

A brute force version of an arcane is a pure sorcerer. Two levels of rogue give that character evasion, albiet coupled with a lower reflex save (the most important save), but combine high charisma with rogue's full UMD ranks. 18 levels are required for level nine spells, and two levels of rogue are required for evasion.

Monks (light side) are an awesome solo class that also needs buying, as they can self heal in two ways, run faster than any other class, and go dexterity/finesse for AC. Halflings get even higher AC and can get halfling dragonmarks for a third way to heal.

Repeating crossbow builds get progressively less useful as the game proceeds and require a small investment from a higher level character, but if you want to dabble with one character, amass some money, and then make a repeater build to get to 400 favor, that would be a fine choice.

Whatever you do, follow a template exactly, or ask what you will lose by making a specific departure from it. If what you will gain is fun for you, go for it even if it is impractical (whirlwind attack on your ranger, etc.).

Welcome to DDO. Consider the Orien server ).

sirgog
06-20-2010, 08:38 PM
One option that hasn't been mentioned - play something (anything) until you have 400 favor, unlocking Drow. (Most people achieve 400 favor around level 7 or 8). Then, roll a two-weapon fighting Drow Paladin. Search the forums for Junt's 'Guide to playing Paladins'.

Paladins are the easiest melee class to equip, at level 14 you can conjure an almost raid-loot quality weapon for each hand, and as long as you invest at least six build points into Constitution, start with a 17 Dexterity (16 if you are willing to count on getting a +1 Dex tome), put most of your other build points into Strength with some in Charisma, and take the feats Toughness, Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, you cannot go wrong.

vaidd1986
06-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Just a thank you for everyones responses here i have decided after trying most classes to go with either a Trapbreaker Rogue or Aoe Barb.

I have looked into servers and from the forums majority say Thelanis or Orien

does anyone know which would be best for an EU player?

Also if you run a guild and would like a rogue feel free to mention, i may roll on your server ;)

tihocan
06-22-2010, 11:03 AM
does anyone know which would be best for an EU player?
I don't know about Orien, but there are a few good EU guilds on Thelanis.