PDA

View Full Version : Are you supposed to make keys for all the actions and learn them?

justinsean
06-15-2010, 12:45 AM
I was lookin through the action command keys. I realize alot are blank or voided or whatever. Am I supposed to create the keys for the action and learn them? so the good players make keys for all the actions and master them? or what. Is that the reason they are blank? I noticed lock on opponent seems to help or is this stuff for begginners? Can someone point me in the right direction for the controls and buttons since so many arent even active. I am confused.

can you tell me or point me in the right direction.

Someones input could save me hours of tinkering.

DoctorWhofan
06-15-2010, 12:47 AM
I was lookin through the action command keys. I realize alot are blank or voided or whatever. Am I supposed to create theys keys for the action and learn them? so the good players make keys for all the actions and master them? or what. Is that the reason they are blank? I noticed lock on opponent seems to help or is this stuff for begginners? Can someone point me in the right direction for the controls and buttons aince so many arent even active. I am confused.

Someones input could save me hours of tinkering.

I made a new Push To talk button.

That's it.

I can do everything with the key commands aready set up. I use the arrow keys to move and do just fine, abit slightly handicap. Try the game as is first, then adjust accordanally.

justinsean
06-15-2010, 01:06 AM
now no matter what
I do I just keep floating on the water and swimming forward I cant look down even tho I knwo the camera down option? Or am I wrong. I got the key one time then It wouldnt open the door so I quit and she keeps sayin go down their And I cant It wont let me swim down

DoctorWhofan
06-15-2010, 01:08 AM
now no matter what
I do I just keep floating on the water and swimming forward I cant look down even tho I knwo the camera down option? Or am I wrong. I got the key one time then It wouldnt open the door so I quit and she keeps sayin go down their And I cant It wont let me swim down

push down the mouse wheel or hit the T key. That's mouse look and it allows you to dive. Pressing on the space bar makes you swim to the surface quickly. It takes a little practice.

justinsean
06-15-2010, 01:46 AM
I got the up down for 2 and 8 keys on num pad then left right stopped but I dont need them.

On 1 player on the main world is the people running around real people or computer?

DoctorWhofan
06-15-2010, 01:51 AM
I got the up down for 2 and 8 keys on num pad then left right stopped but I dont need them.

On 1 player on the main world is the people running around real people or computer?

people. There are some NPCs mostly people. This is Korthos Island, pretty easy to solo, and pretty newbie friendly. Just read everything that NPCs say, they explain alot of thegame.

justinsean
06-15-2010, 01:56 AM
people. There are some NPCs mostly people. This is Korthos Island, pretty easy to solo, and pretty newbie friendly. Just read everything that NPCs say, they explain alot of thegame.

yeah tru thanks again I did notice most of what seemed to be AI guided in what seems to be almost a tutorial. im in armmeggon or something accualy.

It's taking forever to get places but Im on the learning curve.

DoctorWhofan
06-15-2010, 01:59 AM
yeah tru thanks again I did notice most of what seemed to be AI guided in what seems to be almost a tutorial. im in armmeggon or something accualy.

Jeets and the Warforged and the cleric? you will meet them again before you "offically" get to the city of Stormreach. And again if you stick around to high levels and buy the adventure pack.

The Grotto was a tutorial. This is lovingly called "n00b" island, or rather Korthos Island. Stay here to about level 3. This wil make the next part, the Harbor easier to tackle, cuz the quests are out to get you there. Not so much in Korthos.

justinsean
06-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Jeets and the Warforged and the cleric? you will meet them again before you "offically" get to the city of Stormreach. And again if you stick around to high levels and buy the adventure pack.

The Grotto was a tutorial. This is lovingly called "n00b" island, or rather Korthos Island. Stay here to about level 3. This wil make the next part, the Harbor easier to tackle, cuz the quests are out to get you there. Not so much in Korthos.

Right now I'm supposed to go in the bar and talk to the gaurds dad but I did and am running around talking to tons of people not really doing much but racking up quest and wandering around icebergs lol!

DoctorWhofan
06-15-2010, 02:02 AM

It's taking forever to get places but Im on the learning curve.

DDO has a high learning curve. But you did the right thing and came to the forums. As I said, we will try to help.

Final note: All quest are instanced. So unless you are in a party, you will be by yourself. No public instances except the "safe zones". You can hire out a hireling when you get some cash too.

DoctorWhofan
06-15-2010, 02:03 AM
Right now I'm supposed to go in the bar and talk to the gaurds dad but I did and am running around talking to tons of people not really doing much but racking up quest and wandering around icebergs lol!

That's an explorer area. Nothing respawns out there so you have to leave for 5 minutes (or enter another quest for 5 minutes) and it resets. Seriously, explore and have fun!

And oh!

WELCOME TO DDO!

justinsean
06-15-2010, 02:06 AM
That's an explorer area. Nothing respawns out there so you have to leave for 5 minutes (or enter another quest for 5 minutes) and it resets. Seriously, explore and have fun!

And oh!

WELCOME TO DDO!

Lol, Thanks I'll get the hang of it.......So I should go back to Korthos? And refight the bots to level up? I'm still level 1 I guess. I got the ember sword at the end of grotto...HAvent been able to use it though since I then came to the " explorer area."

Sithias
06-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Lol, Thanks I'll get the hang of it.......So I should go back to Korthos? And refight the bots to level up? I'm still level 1 I guess. I got the ember sword at the end of grotto...HAvent been able to use it though since I then came to the " explorer area."

When you first leave the tutorial and talk to the first guy in Korthos, just past him on the left is a graveyard or some such. There should be a lady there with a gold chalice over her head. Talk to her and she should give you your first quest, which is in a short masouleum dungeon. Hope this helps ya out :)

DoctorWhofan
06-15-2010, 02:13 AM
When you first leave the tutorial and talk to the first guy in Korthos, just past him on the left is a graveyard or some such. There should be a lady there with a gold chalice over her head. Talk to her and she should give you your first quest, which is in a short masouleum dungeon. Hope this helps ya out :)

He's in the Explorer area already.

Sithias
06-15-2010, 02:17 AM
Ah okay, saw he mentioned something about still being 1st Level, thought he might have not done the first set of quests yet. :)

justinsean
06-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Yeah thanks...Graveyard Thats it.........

someone told me that in the game an AI. but I got sidetracked...since I really havent figured it out i'm like a blind person trying to play a game. I'll give it a shot for a day or two and if I have anymore problems I'll come back for some pointers....

Thanks you both have been really helpfull.

DoctorWhofan
06-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Yeah thanks...Graveyard Thats it.........

someone told me that in the game an AI. but I got sidetracked...since I really havent figured it out i'm like a blind person trying to play a game. I'll give it a shot for a day or two and if I have anymore problems I'll come back for some pointers....

Thanks you both have been really helpfull.

Final pointers are in your other thread. You can PM me if you need anything.

justinsean
06-15-2010, 02:25 AM
What's a repair bill you mentioned?

Sithias
06-15-2010, 02:44 AM
What's a repair bill you mentioned?

When you go into the tavern and talk to the barkeep, he will open a dialog window, then a window with tabs of Sell, Buy, Repair. The repair tab will let you repair any gear that you may have had damaged in quests, etc. :) There is a charge to repair, so you may not have enough money to repair all your gear at once. Glad that we can help :)

Alabore
06-15-2010, 04:16 AM
I noticed lock on opponent seems to help or is this stuff for begginners? Can someone point me in the right direction for the controls and buttons since so many arent even active.
Most of the blank key-maps default to specific slots in hot-bars, such as Slot#1 Hotbar#5, Slot#2 and so on.
Simply put, they come in handy when you have many items/spells you want to quickly recall without switching hot-bar.

Since I was having a rather poor time with hirelings, I resolved to follow some sensible advice I got from a fellow player, and manually mapped hireling command to keyboard.
Hireling#1 Action #1 defaults to Alt-1, Action #2 to Alt-2 and so on, to Action#10 to 0.
Made questing with hirelings a bit closer to questing with henchies from NWN1.

Also, I hot-mapped Auto-Attack by dragging feat to hot-bar, and specifically hot-map the slot Auto-Attack was in.
Auto-Attack is one of those commands you might want to be able to quickly toggle on and off, especially when you are not familiar with new areas yet, selection orbs keeps reading foes, but you can't spot the elusive archer.
Toggle Auto on, grab a ranged weapon, spin around, and your char will automatically let loose a couple arrows, helping you pin point enemy position.

Other feats that DDO disables when you do something else - Combat Expertise, Stealth and so on, you might choose to manually hot-map so you can quickly recall, without cluttering your main hot-bar.
Be sure to check existing bindings, so you won't erase anything important by mistake.

I also remapped Item Select to top-left key - \ on my keyboard - Activate to Spacebar and Jump to X.
Makes for quicker target acquisition, which might be critical when trying to disarm a trap in the middle of combat - happens... - and you keep hitting that pesky shaman instead, or pinpoint the caster in a crowd of foes.

You might also want to hot-map keys for emergency potions or life saving gear.
That cure serious potion you've been saving for days won't save your life if you leave it sitting on the bottom of your bag of holding...

If you alt a lot, you might want to keep a consistent hot-bar layout, so a given binding defaults to the same, or at least similar, action/item, across characters.

:)

Daliyn
06-15-2010, 05:32 AM
He's in the Explorer area already.

No, he's in Korthos village. He can't leave there till he did the first 4 quests. And he mentioned he didn't have opportunity to use his ember sword yet...

svinja
06-15-2010, 11:39 PM
now no matter what

Press and hold the right mouse button. You can then use the "FPS" movement system, turning the camera with the mouse, while using WS for forward/backwards and AD for strafing. As someone suggested, you can also press "T" and then you don't have to hold the right mouse button, but you need to turn it off by pressing T again to get your mouse cursor.

As far as keybinds are concerned, you don't need all that stuff that is unbound by default, no way. However it is very useful to have your action bar buttons bound to easily reachable keys like Q,R,C, F, numbers... Not everything, of course, I have like 80 things on my action bars and maybe 20 are keybound (this is why I prefer holding the RMB to using T, I need to click stuff very often, as I'm too lazy to set up decent keybindings)