PDA

View Full Version : Lack of TOD items for Favoured Souls

crschoen
06-14-2010, 09:43 AM
So I finally made anchoring boots for my FvS and started to run the TOD raid. It's usually very resource-intensive for a healer.

I started taking a look at the list of rings to see what I want, and I quickly realized that there is not much to offer for a Favoured Soul. I can't see myself using any of the set bonuses. There are a couple set bonuses designed for clerics (Warpriest, Radiant Servant), but even these cleric items don't really offer that much for a FvS.

I think perhaps part of the problem is that this raid came out before the Favoured Soul class was launched, so none of the items were designed with the FvS class in mind?

On the other hand you can ignore the set bonus and craft the Incredible Potential bonus onto the ring, but looking at the table of ring attributes (http://ddowiki.com/page/Incredible_Potential), I don't really see anything useful for a favoured soul other than maybe Greater Devotion III or Exceptional Wisdom +2. But, bearing in mind how resource intensive the raid is, it still seems like a lot of work and grinding to get a very small benefit of +1 DC to spells.

My questions to the board therefore are:
(1) Is it even worth running TOD raids with your FvS?
(2) If so, what ring do you try to get from the raid and what attribute do you try to make?

Xithos
06-14-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm going to make a wild guess that you are a max Wisdom offensive casting/healing favored soul. Tower is worthwhile and I would go for these rings:

1) Rahkir's Ring: You will get the increased critical damage on your spells. Pair it with the Rahkir's Rash.

2) Telvi's Touch or Dragonmarked Ring. Good stats for a FvS although no set bonus worth having.

Put +2 Exceptional Wisdom and +2 Exceptional Con on the rings and call it a day.

crschoen
06-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I am a wisdom build, dragonmarked halfling, so the Dragonmark ring might be a good one.

Question: Does the +1 exceptional wisdom on the Telvi's Touch ring stack with the +2 exceptional wisdom bonus you add on to it at the altar? I'm guessing no.

Vorph
06-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I use the Warchanter set now, it has a nice set bonus and both items are very useful.

Edit: Yes, exceptional +1 stacks with exceptional +2.

Carpone
06-14-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm going to make a wild guess that you are a max Wisdom offensive casting/healing favored soul. Tower is worthwhile and I would go for these rings:

1) Rahkir's Ring: You will get the increased critical damage on your spells. Pair it with the Rahkir's Rash.
Doesn't stack with Greater Arcane Lore. One of many bugs with ToD sets developers continue to ignore.

Angelus_dead
06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I think perhaps part of the problem is that this raid came out before the Favoured Soul class was launched, so none of the items were designed with the FvS class in mind?
That's only a minor part of the reason though, because classes such as Cleric and Rogue had been around for a long time, and they also don't get an attractive class-specific TOD ring.

At the present time an FVS will want TOD sets similarly to how Clerics do: Barb/Monk if you like melee, or prehaps Bard if you like casting.

I have previously suggested (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2669407) that the devs fix the bad TOD items, and that includes adding FVS specific features. However, the clever part is that instead of building three new rings and three new belts just for FVS, they can instead add FVS abilities to existing Cleric and Paladin items. That way FVS gets class-customized support, but without diluting the loot table and making it harder for players to find things they can use.

Impaqt
06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
I use the Warchanter set now, it has a nice set bonus and both items are very useful.

Edit: Yes, exceptional +1 stacks with exceptional +2.

Unless your using the Vod Bracers and gloves. THen it doesnt do anything at all.

Vorph
06-14-2010, 01:40 PM
True, but the best thing about Warchanter set bonus to me was that I got to retire my glacier gloves and free up another slot for GS. Glacier bracers are always good though, just because it lets you use a 6 con/GFL belt instead of Rahkir's Sash for Archmagi.

Carpone
06-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Put +2 Exceptional Wisdom and +2 Exceptional Con on the rings and call it a day.
This is my thought as well for an evocation-focused healer. Any reason to choose anything else? Greater Devotion 8 is not exciting to me. Tokala's + Amara's = 18 minutes of +75% healing between shrines.

Carpone
06-14-2010, 01:58 PM
True, but the best thing about Warchanter set bonus to me was that I got to retire my glacier gloves and free up another slot for GS. Glacier bracers are always good though, just because it lets you use a 6 con/GFL belt instead of Rahkir's Sash for Archmagi.
Skiver is a great slot for archmagi/greater arcane lore if you're up for the grind, freeing up bracers for +45 hp and belt for GFL/+6 CON. While I know it's totally unfounded, I'd like to hope that epic Gauntlets of Eternity will be something desired by healers when epic Gianthold content is finally released.

Matuse
06-14-2010, 07:07 PM
I use Kyrian's ring (I think that's the name), +6 cha, +1 exceptional Str.

Wouldn't mind a +6 cha, +1 exceptional Con or Wis though, but there are so many damned rings that getting just the right one is a pain. Plus of course, no FvS-useful bonuses.

The other thing I don't like is that the off-ring set item is always a belt or a necklace. I need my neck for the Torc, and unless the set bonus is on a con+6 GFL belt, I'm extremely unlikely to wear it. Plus, there's some REALLY nice belts out there (epic lion headed, epic mroranon).

Greater devotion VIII holds about as much appeal as elective brain surgery. +2 Con, and then either +2 Wis or Str depending on your focus.

Xithos
06-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Doesn't stack with Greater Arcane Lore. One of many bugs with ToD sets developers continue to ignore.

I think you missed an almost equally important part of that ring; last time I checked I believed I was getting additional damage on my crits. The crit chance has either never worked as intended or is working as intended and they don't want it to stack.

sirgog
06-16-2010, 09:38 PM
I think you missed an almost equally important part of that ring; last time I checked I believed I was getting additional damage on my crits. The crit chance has either never worked as intended or is working as intended and they don't want it to stack.

It boosts your Greater Arcane Lore (9% crit chance, 0.25 crit intensity) to effectively be Major Arcane Lore (9%/0.5), which is not available anywhere else in the game AFAIK. (Can't be bothered checking the Epic Green Blade to see if that has it)

twix
06-16-2010, 09:44 PM
I have the rhakir tod set on my cleric,Newly reincarnated into a fvs,It adds about 100 points on crits.Most worth while thing i could make use of from tod.After reading this thread can i assume that if im wearing this tod set i can stop wearing my blue plate for the greater arcane lore? Am i understanding this correctly?

Does the tod set take place of greater arcane lore or does it just add damage onto greater arcan lore?

sirgog
06-16-2010, 10:01 PM
I have the rhakir tod set on my cleric,Newly reincarnated into a fvs,It adds about 100 points on crits.Most worth while thing i could make use of from tod.After reading this thread can i assume that if im wearing this tod set i can stop wearing my blue plate for the greater arcane lore? Am i understanding this correctly?

Does the tod set take place of greater arcane lore or does it just add damage onto greater arcan lore?

Blue plate alone: 9% crit chance, 175% base damage on crits (max-emp-Sup Pot 6 BB crits for ~493)
Rakhir's set alone: 5% crit chance, 200% base damage (BB crits for ~564)
Both: 9%/200%

twix
06-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Blue plate alone: 9% crit chance, 175% base damage on crits (max-emp-Sup Pot 6 BB crits for ~493)
Rakhir's set alone: 5% crit chance, 200% base damage (BB crits for ~564)
Both: 9%/200%

Thank you for clarifying.+1

Xithos
06-22-2010, 08:40 PM
It boosts your Greater Arcane Lore (9% crit chance, 0.25 crit intensity) to effectively be Major Arcane Lore (9%/0.5), which is not available anywhere else in the game AFAIK. (Can't be bothered checking the Epic Green Blade to see if that has it)

Nice clarification; more damage on blade barrier is more damage on blade barrier. I'm not swapping Rahkir's on my castersoul anytime soon.