PDA

View Full Version : Sunburst, some changes would be nice

Nailog
06-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are only three light spells in the game. Nimbus of Light, Searing Light, and Sunburst.

The first two are divine, levels 1 and 3 respectively. The third is arcane, level 8.

Divine casters have enhancements to improve light damage. Arcane casters do not.

Why don't divine casters have a high level light spell to make use of their damage improving enhancements? Why do arcane casters have a high level light spell that they can't increase the damage for and therefore never use?

I propose the following changes which may entice more people to actually use the spell ...

Move Sunburst to the divine side.
Remove the reflex + fortitude save beyond the initial reflex save for half damage. If the reflex save is made, the blindness does not occur.
Give the blindness a timer, perhaps 20 seconds.
Increase the damage from 6d6 to 10d6. That's 60 maximized, 90 maxxed + empowered, 126 with full enhancement line, and 189 if an item can be had to boost light damage 50%. Most things will make the reflex save, though, so cut all that in half.

Thank you for your time. :)

Arcticwarrior
06-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are only three light spells in the game. Nimbus of Light, Searing Light, and Sunburst.

The first two are divine, levels 1 and 3 respectively. The third is arcane, level 8.

Divine casters have enhancements to improve light damage. Arcane casters do not.

Why don't divine casters have a high level light spell to make use of their damage improving enhancements? Why do arcane casters have a high level light spell that they can't increase the damage for and therefore never use?

I propose the following changes which may entice more people to actually use the spell ...

Move Sunburst to the divine side.
Remove the reflex + fortitude save beyond the initial reflex save for half damage. If the reflex save is made, the blindness does not occur.
Increase the damage from 6d6 to 10d6. That's 60 maximized, 90 maxxed + empowered, 126 with full enhancement line, and 189 if an item can be had to boost light damage 50%. Most things will make the reflex save, though, so cut all that in half.

Thank you for your time. :)

there are a few other light spells like diefic vengance and that light cube which is a lvl 4 spell I think. but I agree with all you said except this:
Remove the reflex + fortitude save beyond the initial reflex save for half damage. If the reflex save is made, the blindness does not occur. I disagree because it is nearly like horrid wilting. In which does not truely have a save worth saving for, it usually does about 150 for me and if they save it does about 127. Plus it's a level 8 spell and to wait that long for a little 189 dmg which I can do with searing light, well.... its just not worth it. So no save and it would be even

MrCow
06-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Why don't divine casters have a high level light spell to make use of their damage improving enhancements?

Divine casters do have high level light spells they can use such as Sunbeam (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sunbeam.htm) and Sunburst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sunburst.htm)... if they are druids or clerics with the Sun Domain (although there is some possibility that Radiant Servant may someday gain some sort of light-based spell).

The fortitude save is only for certain undead to see if they poof instantly or not. Living and other non-undead don't make a fortitude save because they are immune to going poof in the light.

That would be a nerf, actually. Sunburst Blindness is currently a permanent duration.

Nailog
06-11-2010, 10:17 PM
there are a few other light spells like diefic vengance and that light cube which is a lvl 4 spell I think.
I don't think Deific Vengeance counts. The Wiki says it does bane damage, not light, and it has a will save for half, which would make no sense at all if it was a light attack.

Regarding the saves, I'm all for not having any save on the spell. But a change to one reflex save instead of two reflex saves and a fortitude save is a major improvement on its own.

Plus it's a level 8 spell and to wait that long for a little 189 dmg which I can do with searing light
Well, this would be a Mass Searing Light. :)

Divine casters do have high level light spells they can use such as Sunbeam and Sunburst... if they are druids or clerics with the Sun Domain
Sunbeam doesn't exist, and we don't have domains. I'm trying not to suggest a new spell, as that's harder to create. Editting an old one takes less time and resources.

The fortitude save is only for certain undead to see if they poof instantly or not. Living and other non-undead don't make a fortitude save because they are immune to going poof in the light.
My mistake. Two reflex saves is still one too much, though.

That would be a nerf, actually. Sunburst Blindness is currently a permanent duration.
Turbine likes nerfs, remember? Gotta give a little to get a little.

MrCow
06-11-2010, 10:33 PM
My mistake. Two reflex saves is still one too much, though.

Allow your wish to be instantly granted then, as it is a single reflex save for the damage and blindness (and has been for a couple years). :)

Rakian_Knight
06-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Doesn't this sound like what was going on when they first released Pale Master? They give you enhancements to specific types of spells that you had 2 of.

Arcticwarrior
06-18-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't think Deific Vengeance counts. The Wiki says it does bane damage, not light, and it has a will save for half, which would make no sense at all if it was a light attack.

actually, I own a lvl 20 clr and it says good damage, which is practically the same as noted in the skill selections for increase crit range/dmg/crit multiplier (light/good/positive(samething))