PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with new Bard

dccoh
06-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Ive been playing the game for a couple weeks, so im most definetely a noob. I have a lvl 3 Paladin that I like fairly well.

I just made a bard from this thread http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=177657 and I have such a hard time hitting things.

Anyone have any pointers on dealing with this? If I move from normal difficulty, then wow im wiffing like a kid with bad allergies (yea that didn't make sense).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

purple_paladin
06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
go back to korthos island and get the set items for the +2 to hit bonus, as well as the goggles for +1to hit, then make sure to always have inspire courage up and running.

other then that, consider using sword/board or even better a 2 handed weapon(use masters touch for proficiency) with until lvl 6-8 maybe,

even with 'two weapon fighting' you still receive a -2 to hit for your main and secondary hand weapon

if you do TWF, make sure your off hand weapon is a 'light' weapon or you receive another -2 to hit to both hands i think(might just be the secondary weapon)

HGM-Chi
06-11-2010, 05:58 PM
A couple of things here... Make sure you have a light weapon in your off-hand, as this will reduce the penalty you get for dual wielding. Get a nice str item to boost your to-hit bonus, and one of the sets from korthos that adds +2 to hit. That should help. If you continue to miss too much you might want to consider swinging a big two handed weapon for a couple of levels. Often this is more effective in the long run at very early levels.

Rav'n
06-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Even on my TWF Bard builds... I never run TWF until levels 9-12 (depending on gear). I usually (and on the current TWF War Chanter Build at level 11) run a Great Sword or Great Axe.

Who cares how much extra damage you can do with TWF.... if you can't hit anything!

Noctus
06-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Even on my TWF Bard builds... I never run TWF until levels 9-12 (depending on gear). I usually (and on the current TWF War Chanter Build at level 11) run a Great Sword or Great Axe.

Who cares how much extra damage you can do with TWF.... if you can't hit anything!

This.

And get the right equipment ( +2 to-hit set and the +1 to-hit googles from Korthos ) as well as keep your buffs up 24/7.

Solmage
06-12-2010, 02:59 PM
"A bard is proficient with all simple weapons, plus the longsword, rapier, short sword, shortbow. Bards are proficient with light armor and shields (except tower shields). "

Make absolutely sure that you are not using a weapon you're not proficient with, nor armor heavier than light armor, both will impede your to-hit.

As has been said, if you are dual wielding, stick to rapier + short sword. And the +3 to hit from korthos is a must-have for anyone trying to dual wield at lower levels.