PDA

View Full Version : Small Complaint about Airship Graphics

Coldin
06-09-2010, 04:37 PM
This is in addition to my much larger complaint/concern about the wind effect.

All the airships we see flying through the sky in Stormreach have a little trailing spiral. This helps to indicate movement. But on the airship we can actually board, there is no trail. It kills the effect a bit that the airship is speeding through the air. (Though that effect is killed already when you first jump off and realize it's just the water moving, and not the airship)

Anyway. Don't know if it's possible to make the trailing spiral or not, but if you can, please do! :D

moorewr
06-09-2010, 04:53 PM
This is in addition to my much larger complaint/concern about the wind effect.

All the airships we see flying through the sky in Stormreach have a little trailing spiral. This helps to indicate movement. But on the airship we can actually board, there is no trail. It kills the effect a bit that the airship is speeding through the air. (Though that effect is killed already when you first jump off and realize it's just the water moving, and not the airship)

Anyway. Don't know if it's possible to make the trailing spiral or not, but if you can, please do! :D

/signed

THIS IS A SHOWSTOPPER!!!1! :p

Coldin
06-09-2010, 04:56 PM
/signed

THIS IS A SHOWSTOPPER!!!1! :p

You mock now, but just wait till you're standing on the airship and that illusion of movement disappears. You'll be saying "Wow...Coldin was right." :cool:

moorewr
06-09-2010, 05:02 PM
You mock now, but just wait till you're standing on the airship and that illusion of movement disappears. You'll be saying "Wow...Coldin was right." :cool:

No, no, I'm saying that now. I did say "/signed" after all.

Coldin
06-09-2010, 05:06 PM
No, no, I'm saying that now. I did say "/signed" after all.

Well, you'll say it then too. :p

donfilibuster
06-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Are you sure the ship moves by propulsion?
There's plenty of magic to make the ship levitate or move in other ways.
No need to go into the observer thing and relativity.

Coldin
06-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Are you sure the ship moves by propulsion?
There's plenty of magic to make the ship levitate or move in other ways.
No need to go into the observer thing and relativity.

Well, I'm actually just comparing the ships we see flying in Stormreach, to the guild airship. :)

MrkGrismer
06-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Though that effect is killed already when you first jump off and realize it's just the water moving, and not the airship

Are you sure this isn't just that you have the same relative motion as the airship and your feather fall item also just stops your horizontal velocity from decaying?

Coldin
06-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Are you sure this isn't just that you have the same relative motion as the airship and your feather fall item also just stops your horizontal velocity from decaying?

Wouldn't wind resistance still cause a slowing effect since you're no longer being propelled at the same velocity? :)

Plus, when you hit the water, you can actually swim again the current, and see that the ship isn't really moving, it's the water pushing you back.

MrkGrismer
06-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't wind resistance still cause a slowing effect since you're no longer being propelled at the same velocity? :)

Plus, when you hit the water, you can actually swim again the current, and see that the ship isn't really moving, it's the water pushing you back.

Must be a pocket dimension where relativity is backwards ;)

goblean
06-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Simple really, the ship moves the universe around it. The guild ship is special not like those slow ships you see flying above you.

Are you just upset because the ring around the ship was red? ;P

donfilibuster
06-15-2010, 06:38 PM
The guild ship is special not like those slow ships you see flying above you.

Actually the ships are a bit slow, it's not jet speed.

There's only a few d&d sources on airships but all list their speed and it is nowhere near spelljammer cruising speed.
The eberron handbook would be the best fit, but i'm not sure if there's enough for comparisons.
The old A&EG has a sample flying airship yet generic vehicle rules were later added on the SBG.
The strongholds guide cap was about twice dragon or pegasi speed, which is still a good 240 miles per day since the ship can fly 24/7.

MadFloyd
06-19-2010, 01:47 PM
/signed (I don't like the trails). :)

Coldin
06-19-2010, 02:24 PM
/signed (I don't like the trails). :)

Heh, actually, I do like the little trails coming off the elemental ring on the ships flying around Stormreach. I just wish it would be consistent and show them on the ship we fly on too! :)

P.S. That wind on the airship is still bad. ;)

Boromirs
06-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Would be nice if they would just display clouds or vague landscape movement (the clouds/landscape moving counter to the airship "movement") and then when you jump off you get the "traveling.." loading screen and you end up at a position between stormreach and whereever you are going. (so if you are heading to Gianthold you may end up instead at Searing Heights if you jump off mid travel).