PDA

View Full Version : Finding good items

Haroth
06-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm a level 5 Cleric and I feel extremely under geared. Is there a certain quest reward or dungeon chest that I should be grinding for good clerical items? I know that I need to balance between buffs, heals, and offensive skills during dungeons, but I often find that my heals are doing pitiful numbers and my mana pool is often running low. I realize that this isn't particularly important at the early levels since things aren't as difficult at this point, but I have no devotion/potency gear, nothing in "of Power," "of Magi," "of Wizardry," or anything of that sort. In fact, the best items I have are +2 anything and +1 Wis, with the occasion additional buff that I really don't need.

Should I be worried? I'm not without a lot of this stuff because I've been vendoring it or auctioning it, I just haven't found anything that was good for my class. Any recommendations, or am I just trying to be too much of a twink?

Symar-FangofLloth
06-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Generally, named items have better abilities, or at lower than normal levels.

The complete list of all named items in the game, what they do, and where they're from, is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=249178

Mackem
06-07-2010, 09:26 PM
You should not be worried really.

Normally loot is a couple levels below the quest level which explains why you get +2 items only on a lvl 5 character. You are not likely to be able to afford buying items off AH or (possibly) even from traders if you do not have a higher level feeder character. And you probably do not really need it as you'll outlevel those items fast enough as levelling before lvl 10-12 is pretty fast in DDO.

So just try to level up.

P.S. What server do you play on?

Haroth
06-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the link and advice.

I'm on Thelanis. ;P

Mackem
06-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Sadly can't help much on Thelanis with my "home" server being Khyber...

If you have TR pack, you may try to run it a few times, decent ml5 +3 stat items from end reward of Assault on Splinterskull series and a nice exp as well...

And the first character on any server always feels (and will likely be) undergeared without outside help :)

Matuse
06-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Sounds like you have about the normal gear for your level, except that finding something "of power" really shouldn't be that difficult. Korthos tries to do this to you several times, in the form of the Misery's Peak set items, and the ring from Collaborator.

Kralgnax
06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Most low level mains have junky gear - the drops you'll encounter on most of the Harbour / Marketplace quests are, in many cases, inferior to the Korthos items, some of which are quite nice (Archivist's set (devoted in a pinch), axebane, spearbane, Anger's step, protector's gloves, insight (? - the +1 to attack) goggles .

Some things you may be able to obtain:

Nicked heavy Mace - Sharn Syndicate AP end reward +1, force, weighted (also the longsword +1, cold, parrying - if you're an elf, or have the follower of the Sovereign host enhancement)
Catacombs End rewards - Blade of the inquisitor, Eternal wand of cure minor wounds (I'm still using mine at level 18) , pillar of light, etc.
Tangleroot end rewards (as mentioned above) - including the crimson gemstone (+50 spell points) splinterskull acolyte ring, which is effectively Potency II, though it's worded as Devotion II/Nullification II) - probably need a group, though
One time waterworks end reward - some nice items in there
Runic trinket, Furor's hide, Helm of flame (devotion helmet) (avaialble as low level end rewards, forget which quests )
Don't forget to brrowse the definitive static rewards thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=121279&highlight=static+rewards)
Also, look on the Auction House for potency / devotion items - sceptres (clubs) are most common, but shields also show up - also consider the poorboy alternatives of Ardor and efficacy, which are short term clickable version of devotion & potency - you may be able to find a devotion or potency III sceptre for a fairly reasonable price.

Welcome to DDO! Don't worry & have fun

kinar
06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Most low level mains have junky gear - the drops you'll encounter on most of the Harbour / Marketplace quests are, in many cases, inferior to the Korthos items, some of which are quite nice (Archivist's set (devoted in a pinch), axebane, spearbane, Anger's step, protector's gloves, insight (? - the +1 to attack) goggles .

Some things you may be able to obtain:

Nicked heavy Mace - Sharn Syndicate AP end reward +1, force, weighted (also the longsword +1, cold, parrying - if you're an elf, or have the follower of the Sovereign host enhancement)
Catacombs End rewards - Blade of the inquisitor, Eternal wand of cure minor wounds (I'm still using mine at level 18) , pillar of light, etc.
Tangleroot end rewards (as mentioned above) - including the crimson gemstone (+50 spell points) splinterskull acolyte ring, which is effectively Potency II, though it's worded as Devotion II/Nullification II) - probably need a group, though
One time waterworks end reward - some nice items in there
Runic trinket, Furor's hide, Helm of flame (devotion helmet) (avaialble as low level end rewards, forget which quests )
Don't forget to brrowse the definitive static rewards thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=121279&highlight=static+rewards)
Also, look on the Auction House for potency / devotion items - sceptres (clubs) are most common, but shields also show up - also consider the poorboy alternatives of Ardor and efficacy, which are short term clickable version of devotion & potency - you may be able to find a devotion or potency III sceptre for a fairly reasonable price.

Welcome to DDO! Don't worry & have fun

Good stuff right here ^^

Only exception (and a minor one) is that Helm of flame is not an end reward (unless this was changed recently). It is out of a fire giant chest in stormcleave

ReaperAlexEU
06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
check the market brokers, they have a different list of items per instance, so check every instance! at lvl9-11 you can use the brokers to get some +3-4 stat items, then at lvl15 you can user the brokers and the cheap stuff on the AH to get +5-6 stat items, all without paying the crazy prices you might have seen.

Krag
06-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Do not underestimate clickies. Although their description says otherwise, Superior Ardor clickie gives you 75%(!!!) healing boost. Clickies also allow you to save hand slot for other things like Power/Magi at lower levels or Greenblade/Skiver/GS.

Kralgnax
06-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Good stuff right here ^^

Only exception (and a minor one) is that Helm of flame is not an end reward (unless this was changed recently). It is out of a fire giant chest in stormcleave
Thanks & oops - the stats look right, but if so, that's beyond our friend's abilties at present
Furor's Hide is from Furor's chest (Rare optional ) - Garrison's missing pack (F2P Harbour)
Runic trinket is from Reposession (Sharn)
And I missed Muckbane (Club, glass, oozebane - not damaged by oozes, rusties, etc.) from Muck's chest (rare optional) - Durk's got a secret (F2P Harbour)

dsebutchr
06-08-2010, 11:42 AM
The static reward thread is really good advice. I might also suggest the Lost Quest Guide. Just type that into the search engine on the forums and click the top link. That guide has taken me on some fun adventures. It's nice to have a list of the quests available per level and sometimes VERY detailed walkthroughs to help with the ones that are more difficult. It's nice to KNOW there's a secret door there if you don't have a rogue handy. You can buy a detect clicky and do that quest on your own.

Nice way to learn places. I have found some quests that I run all the time with every toon now by doing this. Good rewards too.

Also it's something to mention that my lvl 10 toon has found a LOT of gear that I've passed down to my younger toons. The higher you get and tougher the quests, the better the loot for younger toons drops. All kinds of elemental and stat buff gear for lower levels.

PNellesen
06-08-2010, 11:22 PM
And I missed Muckbane (Club, glass, oozebane - not damaged by oozes, rusties, etc.) from Muck's chest (rare optional) - Durk's got a secret (F2P Harbour)

Is there any secret to getting Muckbane? I just started playing this game about a week ago (loving it, btw) and I've run that one about 4 times now and cannot seem to get it (I'm SO tired of my weapons breaking when I battle oozes. At least I haven't lost my go-to weapon yet ;) ). Do I just need to keep trying now and then? I've got a Level 3 Cleric at the moment, if it makes a difference...

RobertVesco
06-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Is there any secret to getting Muckbane? I just started playing this game about a week ago (loving it, btw) and I've run that one about 4 times now and cannot seem to get it (I'm SO tired of my weapons breaking when I battle oozes. At least I haven't lost my go-to weapon yet ;) ). Do I just need to keep trying now and then? I've got a Level 3 Cleric at the moment, if it makes a difference...

Just keep running the quest, you will find a muckbane eventually. My last character had to run it about 20 times before I got one. In the interim, try using a bound-to-account or bound-to-character weapons. They won't take any permanent damage and will work just fine against oozes.

iamsamoth0
06-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm a level 5 Cleric and I feel extremely under geared. Is there a certain quest reward or dungeon chest that I should be grinding for good clerical items? I know that I need to balance between buffs, heals, and offensive skills during dungeons, but I often find that my heals are doing pitiful numbers and my mana pool is often running low. I realize that this isn't particularly important at the early levels since things aren't as difficult at this point, but I have no devotion/potency gear, nothing in "of Power," "of Magi," "of Wizardry," or anything of that sort. In fact, the best items I have are +2 anything and +1 Wis, with the occasion additional buff that I really don't need.

Should I be worried? I'm not without a lot of this stuff because I've been vendoring it or auctioning it, I just haven't found anything that was good for my class. Any recommendations, or am I just trying to be too much of a twink?

Try and save your money, try and hit all the chests available to you at level. End rewards are worth chasing. Even if to pass along to other toons. It may seem counter intuitive, recently after starting a new server I have become more reticent to repair my things, esp. if I expect to replace a particular item soon. Cutting down on overhead will help you develop your inventory. Throwing an item out instead of tearing up some of your nicer gear while you grind for your cash nest egg may work. I mean if you are in an explorer area you know you can rip up use a set of crappy gear then toss it. Switch up your gear for bigger fights.
Which reminds me of a game suggestion I forgot about.

Open all the valves, there are quite a few to increase the chance of his(it's) appearance. I get him 20%-30% of the time. I guess, pretty frequently enough.

hockeyrama
06-09-2010, 12:12 AM
My thinking is the problem that you face is what a new player on any server faces. You have nothing and want alot of nice gear. Your second character is different but the first is basically going to struggle.

What I have found useful is to play a rogue as my main on a server. They ahve haggle and can use skill boost to boost haggle so they can sell stuff at good prices. They are needed in many groups for traps early on and for assasinations, dps and traps later.

Once you get one of these high you will have alot of cash. When you start your next character on that server have the rogue by stuff at AH or elsewhere and send stuff by mail to them.

zorander6
06-09-2010, 12:23 AM

Let your summons take out the oozes till you get muckbane since you are a cleric. The level 1 summon is best, don't bother with the spider (level 2)

Tinrae
06-09-2010, 01:54 AM
I started this game as a Cleric myself, but like you OP quickly found myself dumping a alot of money into resources like wands, components and potions. I just felt like I couldn't scrape enough coins together to buy myself something nice.

So, I wound up creating a new main. A Bard that heals, buffs, CCs, and haggles. I can still play the healer I wanted to, but this one actually buys and sells for much better prices than my Cleric can. I will go back to my Cleric eventually, but for me playing the Bard is better right now. :)

Other than that, I know I constantly check the pawnshops in game for nice items at good prices. House D has weapons and House K has armor. A few times I've really lucked out and scored Mithral items for dirt cheap.

Kralgnax
06-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Be lucky? ;) Sorry, Lailat made me say that. I can't be a lot of help, as I've been pretty lucky on Muckbanes, but beyond beyond ensuring you always check if Muck is up - in a group, if he's not, you can leave, reform & re-enter without penalty (if solo, you have to wait 5 minutes if you choose to fdo that) - here are some alternatives for fighting oozes:

Buy plain old clubs, maces whatever from the vendors (very cheap 1 gold or so), use them till they break, throw them away when broken
Fists/handwraps - they don't break either
The devs have been a bit cruel in some quests (Threnal springs to mind), throwing in oozes with a mix of other critters - if you're not careful, you can end up with worn/broken weapons really quickly.

Rakelilly
06-09-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm also kinda new (less than a month old, I think).

Something that helped me a lot was selling collectibles on the AH. A packet of Pure Water vials paid for my level 6 Erosion scepter upgrade, for example.

This thread:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=227513

Was a lot of help in determining what stuff anyone might want, though I ignored the prices and advice (Prayer Beads, for example, actually do sell on my server, and for more than 500 gold).

hockeyrama
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I have a cleric at level 9 and actually find it not as hard as I thought to make cash. Yes, your haggle stinks and you sell at low price and buy at high. So I just never buy anything except the odd good buy (when I see a deal) at the AH. If you talking about vendors sorry you will not make as much. Use the Ah for some premium sales and get a potion or the planar gird with grreater heroism and you still not going to well for a good price.

So if I say all that then why do I say it not hard to get cash.

The answer is easy. Don't fight unless it is a situation where you need. Like on depths where everyone died and I had to grab stones and carry everyone to shrine past all the elementals.

If you stay back and are careful you should draw very little aggro. If you cast offensive spells before melee engage the enemy you are a big target. If you wait until they are engaged you are less likely to get any aggro.

I have finished many well run quests where I kept everyone else buffed, and healed and had no damage at the end. With no damage you have to spend nothing on repair. Others may have higher haggle but they have to spend on repair. You can literally spend nothing on repair if you careful and all the stuff you sell is profit. So in the end you can make as much as others.

svinja
06-12-2010, 12:30 AM

I would say that shields are by far the easiest way to find an item with a suitable devotion enhancement, at least for low level, first character people. I recently made a cleric and had trouble getting one because I was looking at weapons and forgot about shields. When I checked out the shields, I felt like a kid in a candy store, I immediately stocked up on shields all the way to ML 10 (the character is level 5, my first on the server, and could easily afford to buy them).

Check out the shields on the AH.