PDA

View Full Version : Locked chest and doors

Delmare
06-07-2010, 02:30 AM
Why not have the option to smash locked items then have any goods inside face a chance of destruction due to the smashing of said chest ? same for doors but smashing either succeds or fails on doors and a failure could be like a failed trap release in that it is permenantly unuseable.

DoctorWhofan
06-07-2010, 02:32 AM
THe Rogue is having enough trouble getting groups...Let's not steal all their thunder, eh?

Dunklerlindwurm
06-07-2010, 02:35 AM
Quests gets more and more changed so that rogues are not needed anymore.

Best example: Next Patch Tear of Dhakaan...no more locked shrines.

How about we remove all traps,locked doors and locked chests? -.-

Kistilan
06-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Why not have the option to smash locked items then have any goods inside face a chance of destruction due to the smashing of said chest ? same for doors but smashing either succeds or fails on doors and a failure could be like a failed trap release in that it is permenantly unuseable.

While I completely agree with the other replies that rogues need to remain useful, I would like to add a suggestionmod to the overall idea.

1x chance per chest/door per instance to force lock.

Mechanics: 5% base chance 1d100. Apply strength modifier to percentage. Ex: 23 Str = +6 mod for 11% chance on targeted swing to actually jar open lock.

Failure: Increases DC to OL by .5 * Str Modifier of attempted jar (this will curb level 20 barbs from just trying while impatiently waiting for their trap guy)

Note: Also suggest THF Feats increase jar attempt +10% to +15% at GTHF while obviously swinging with THWeap.

There ya go. Consequences and risk at higher level. Perhaps add possibility of repair/reconstruct spells repairing some of lock to lower inflated DC of failed jarring. Keys will work as intended regardless of locks state. (or add critical failure with confirmation on 1d100 to permenantly destroy lock on non-essential chests).

ArichValtrahn
06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Id love to bash in that damned mindflayers chest in gianthold explorable. Ugh I hate that thing when Im soloing.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Me big L20 Barbarian with 90 str, can not open silly little wooden box with big axe. Me confused.

Yup, we should definately be able to to bash pickable doors (with a chance of gaining extra attention from nearby mobs) and pickable chests (with a chance of destroying contents).

Kistilan
06-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Me big L20 Barbarian with 90 str, can not open silly little wooden box with big axe. Me confused.

Yup, we should definately be able to to bash pickable doors (with a chance of gaining extra attention from nearby mobs) and pickable chests (with a chance of destroying contents).

Something like this amended to what I stated above would work too.

In addition: Player Level minus Chest Level = additional +/- % to Bash Attempt. Doors function at quest level, same Mechanic. This way, a raging THF level 20 Barb is logically steamrolling waterworks while in Wiz King Epic he's not.

Rakian_Knight
06-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Don't kill what little bit of use the rogue have now, the moment the rogue hierlings come out is going to be bad enough but don't remove the primary purpose of them in the game right now.

I understand the logic behind smashing a lock but a trap box? IMHO if you try smashing a trap box you should have the trap automatically activate, you take damage from the gears crushing your hand and have a -2 to -4 to all attacks for a minimum of 10 mins. with only a DC 20 heal check to remove the penalty so you learn the meaning of waiting for help.

clkpacker
06-07-2010, 09:23 PM
While I completely agree with the other replies that rogues need to remain useful, I would like to add a suggestionmod to the overall idea.

1x chance per chest/door per instance to force lock.

Mechanics: 5% base chance 1d100. Apply strength modifier to percentage. Ex: 23 Str = +6 mod for 11% chance on targeted swing to actually jar open lock.

Failure: Increases DC to OL by .5 * Str Modifier of attempted jar (this will curb level 20 barbs from just trying while impatiently waiting for their trap guy)

Note: Also suggest THF Feats increase jar attempt +10% to +15% at GTHF while obviously swinging with THWeap.

There ya go. Consequences and risk at higher level. Perhaps add possibility of repair/reconstruct spells repairing some of lock to lower inflated DC of failed jarring. Keys will work as intended regardless of locks state. (or add critical failure with confirmation on 1d100 to permenantly destroy lock on non-essential chests).I like the idea, though like everyone else I don't like rogues losing some of their utility. But, an addition to your idea--chests could also be booby-trapped. When you swing, you may set off a bomb or poison cloud that not only destroys all the loot, but does some significant damage to you (and anyone else within range) too.

donfilibuster
06-07-2010, 09:26 PM
There's the eternal fight between lock makers and crowbar makers.