PDA

View Full Version : Asking bard experts on feats advice

Lord_Winn
06-07-2010, 02:07 AM
I recently returned to my poor level 7 bard (actually bardess to be exact). She was a premade path, like my earlier toon. They started her with a constitution of 10 (my current custom toons are all now at least 14). Anyways, I did use raise that now to 12 with the use of one tome at level 8 and the additional with the enhancement (being human has its advantages).
Since I do not play bard a lot, just want to ask all of you out there what are some useful feats she should have. The premade path gave her power attack, which I traded today for THF. I also am thinking of changing the medium armor proficiency for something else as soon as I find an imperfect siberys shard. Like I indicated, I have played all the other classes quite a bit more: cleric (2), rogue (2), ranger (2), paladin (2), etc, just have one bard. What I found most useful is the "heroism" and "haste" spells. Both of them amplifies her attack, currently her strength is 18.

DoctorWhofan
06-07-2010, 02:11 AM
I would not recommend med. Armour profiency. It cuts into your spellcasting. Are you a Warchanter?

KillEveryone
06-07-2010, 02:14 AM
If you are going to be a Warchanter then you do need Power Attack and a weapon focus(slash, pierce, etc.) Just 1 weapon focus though.

Taking the armor as a profeciency isn't a very good idea. You can't cast well with that type of armor, unlike light armor you will have a chance at spell failure and AC isn't going to be viable anyway with that type of armor and a lot of other gear.

If you CHA isn't maxxed, you won't get too many of your CC spells to land so you may want to actually go the Warchanter route. The capstone isn't very good for Warchanters so you would be greatly served taking a couple levels of fighter for 2 extra feat and an extra STR and toughness enhancement. It will also get you the armor that you want and a greater selection of weapons.

If you CHA is maxxed then a Spellsinger is a good option with such a low CON, that way you can sit in the back and CC or if your group needs a healer you can fill that role since you can supplement your spell casting with wands. The capstone is great for a Spellsinger so you should stay pure for this.

You could be a Virtuoso, but I'm not very familiar with that particular PrE. They can fasinate a lot more stuff but they don't have the damage and attack bonuses that a Warchanter does, nor do they have the song that lets casters cast stuff using fewer SP.

I would have rerolled personally but you already used the tome so that isn't a very good option.

DoctorWhofan
06-07-2010, 02:16 AM
If you are going to be a Warchanter then you do need Power Attack and a weapon focus(slash, pierce, etc.) Just 1 weapon focus though.

If you CHA isn't maxxed, you won't get too many of your CC spells to land so you may want to actually go the Warchanter route.

If you CHA is maxxed then a Spellsinger is a good option with such a low CON, that way you can sit in the back and CC or if your group needs a healer you can fill that role since you can supplement your spell casting with wands.

You could be a Virtuoso, but I'm not very familiar with that particular PrE. They can fasinate a lot more stuff but they don't have the damage and attack bonuses that a Warchanter does, nor do they have the song that lets casters cast stuff using fewer SP.

I would have rerolled personally but you already used the tome so that isn't a very good option.

Virtuoso bards are pretty awesome, but you have to be in the right group.

tihocan
06-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Looks like you picked Virtuoso. That's one build I haven't looked into yet, but at first sight the pre-made path looks quite bad. The only advice I would give is get out of it and try to salvage what you can :rolleyes:

Lord_Winn
06-07-2010, 10:00 AM

Taking the armor as a profeciency isn't a very good idea. You can't cast well with that type of armor, unlike light armor you will have a chance at spell failure and AC isn't going to be viable anyway with that type of armor and a lot of other gear.

If you CHA isn't maxxed, you won't get too many of your CC spells to land so you may want to actually go the Warchanter route. The capstone isn't very good for Warchanters so you would be greatly served taking a couple levels of fighter for 2 extra feat and an extra STR and toughness enhancement. It will also get you the armor that you want and a greater selection of weapons.

If you CHA is maxxed then a Spellsinger is a good option with such a low CON, that way you can sit in the back and CC or if your group needs a healer you can fill that role since you can supplement your spell casting with wands. The capstone is great for a Spellsinger so you should stay pure for this.

Hello, Kill,

Thanks for your and everyone else's input. By the way, you do suffer a penalty when wearing medium armor, am I correct? Also even with light armor, I notice my bard's spell failure rate is a lot higher than my cleric at the same level. Is it because they are not as specialized into spells as the clerics and the casters?
Ok, with all the advice, I am ready to switch my medium armor proficiency for something like weapon focus (pierce, slashing). She's almost half way to level 9. At that level, I will give her the Power Attack feat back.
Yeah, don't plan to reroll. Wife has already complained I'm playing way too much DDO. So I need to just get my last three remaining toons to level 8, possibly 9 then slow down from then on. Thank you all for all your advice.

tihocan
06-07-2010, 10:12 AM
By the way, you do suffer a penalty when wearing medium armor, am I correct? Also even with light armor, I notice my bard's spell failure rate is a lot higher than my cleric at the same level. Is it because they are not as specialized into spells as the clerics and the casters?
You shouldn't get any ASF on a bard with only light armor. Maybe you are using a shield giving you ASF?

Danmor
06-07-2010, 10:28 AM
By the way, you do suffer a penalty when wearing medium armor, am I correct? Also even with light armor, I notice my bard's spell failure rate is a lot higher than my cleric at the same level. Is it because they are not as specialized into spells as the clerics and the casters?

Bards are special that way.
Clerics and Favored Souls do not have any arcane spell failure chance because they're divine casters.
Wizards, Bards, Sorcerers do suffer from arcane spell failure chance because they're arcane casters.
Bards can ignore the ASF due to light armor, but not due to medium or heavy armor (or shields).

That means: Breastplate, Full Plate or other medium/heavy armor will make you lose some spells due to ASF.

Lord_Winn
06-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Bards are special that way.
Clerics and Favored Souls do not have any arcane spell failure chance because they're divine casters.
Wizards, Bards, Sorcerers do suffer from arcane spell failure chance because they're arcane casters.
Bards can ignore the ASF due to light armor, but not due to medium or heavy armor (or shields).

That means: Breastplate, Full Plate or other medium/heavy armor will make you lose some spells due to ASF.

Thanks Dan, so basically, travel light and fight hard, for a bard.

KillEveryone
06-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks Dan, so basically, travel light and fight hard, for a bard.

I had a Twilight breastplate...I think that is what it was...counted as light armor. It served a purpose in the early levels.

I started wearing robes about level 8 because I was getting hit at least 75% of the time and I wanted other effects on my armor since the breastplate didn't offer anything other than AC.