PDA

View Full Version : Possibly a simple 'fix' to DT armor

Slowe
06-04-2010, 06:30 PM
1) Make a STATIC numbered list of DT upgrades for each rune.
2) Make it so that when a rune is placed in the altar with an armor that has no upgrades of that rune a random upgrade is chosen for it
3) When a rune is placed in the altar with an armor that has an an upgrade, the next upgrade on the list is chosen
4) When a rune is placed in the altar with an armor that has an upgrade on it and a prayer bead, a random upgrade is chosen again (if you prefer the old method)

The list could be published in the forums - that way we'll know what we're getting next and how close we are to getting it, instead of playing lottery every time.

PS. Emphasis here is on SIMPLE, as I think it would be far less work for Turbine than adding runes with specific effects, as most people tend to suggest. I don't think the attributes are currently tied specifically to runes, but instead generated randomly upon the activation of the altar, and as such, adding specific runes would take the rewriting of the whole system, which is possibly the reason why Turbine hasn't adressed this problem yet.

Valindria
06-07-2010, 01:27 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=252533

Gercho
06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
i like it, in the end, there are lots of ways to improve the system, the question is if the devs want to improve it...

ArichValtrahn
06-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I dont see the simplicity here.

When you loot the rune, have the bonus in the item text. IE, A Tempest Rune of Crushing Wave Guard.

THAT would be simple.

Kintro
06-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't think the attributes are currently tied specifically to runes, but instead generated randomly upon the activation of the altar

That's not true. Runes with the same attribute will stack.

kinar
06-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't think the attributes are currently tied specifically to runes, but instead generated randomly upon the activation of the altar
Unless this has been changed in the last 6-8mo, you are wrong.

Like properties stack in your inventory. Different properties don't stack.

On one of my characters, I never put a rune into the alter until it stacked with another already in my inventory. I currently have somewhere around 35 different runes in my inventory/bank about half of which had been identified. Unfortunately, I never got the properties I was looking for and gave up when I went F2P and decided not to purchase that pack so I could save myself the trouble. And since then, I have lost the piece of paper where I had written down which bank slots where which runes :(

Adoraro
06-07-2010, 02:09 PM
... I don't think the attributes are currently tied specifically to runes, but instead generated randomly upon the activation of the altar, and as such, adding specific runes would take the rewriting of the whole system, which is possibly the reason why Turbine hasn't adressed this problem yet.

You are most likely wrong. I find it likely that runes are separate database items due to the fact that some of them stack and that runes that stack give the same attribute every time. Runes are probably handled the same way Imbued shards are, the only difference being that the different attributes have the same name, description and image.

Bolo_Grubb
06-07-2010, 02:30 PM
I would be happy with absolutely any sort of improvement at all.

Slowe
06-08-2010, 01:22 AM
You are most likely wrong. I find it likely that runes are separate database items due to the fact that some of them stack and that runes that stack give the same attribute every time. Runes are probably handled the same way Imbued shards are, the only difference being that the different attributes have the same name, description and image.

My suggestion was made under the assumption that the runes aren't linked to attributes. If they weren't, adding those links would likely require the rewriting of the entire system, and I thought it would be simpler for them to add a different way of handling the upgrades at the moment when they happen. But it what you're saying is true, I'm puzzled by knowing that they haven't labeled them, or just added the effect description...

donotdirect1
06-08-2010, 02:00 AM
The first time I turned in draconic runes to pick an eldritch rune I laughed so hard.

I couldn't believe that something so old was still miscoded, when the intention obviously was to make them have identifying names. It just seems so obvious to me that what it was meant to be is not what it is.

The dragon touched lottery doesn't seem like an intentional thing. Just a failure to complete the project.

Isolani
06-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Why the complex repetition? Just make it so the different tiers have some set rune cost, if you have that many, you choose the one you want. Turbine can make the cost whatever they think is appropriately grindy. At least this way, you know you will get something you wanted at the end of the grind. Should have been something like that from the beginning instead of completely random nonsense.

cdemeritt
06-08-2010, 02:15 AM
My suggestion was made under the assumption that the runes aren't linked to attributes. If they weren't, adding those links would likely require the rewriting of the entire system, and I thought it would be simpler for them to add a different way of handling the upgrades at the moment when they happen. But it what you're saying is true, I'm puzzled by knowing that they haven't labeled them, or just added the effect description...

It says someplace the attributes a "set" upon creation (i.E. while still in the chest)

TechNoFear
06-08-2010, 02:35 AM
DT Armor is the most annoying system in the game.

A few simple changes would make it much less likely to frustrate players (by wasting their time and limited resources for no gain).

Remove the requirement to reflag.
All other quests that require flagging are being changed to perma flag, so SoS is becoming confusing. Every group I have run it in lately has had one player unable to enter and wasted our time to find a replacement.

I also suggest that SoS on CASUAL difficulty also drop Sov runes 100% of the time.
It is currently quicker, easier and less resource intensive to run PotH casual 3 times (as the runes drop 100%) than run SoS once. You also do not have to reflag PotH.

Add a simple dialog to confirm the addition of a new rune.

"This rune will add 'xxxxx' to your armor, replacing 'yyyyy'.
Click 'OK' to add 'xxxxxx',
Click 'CANCEL' to retain 'yyyyyy' (rune will still be used)."

This would at least mean my DT armor does not become worse after I have spent time and resources to improve it.

ssgcmwatson
06-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Add a simple dialog to confirm the addition of a new rune.

"This rune will add 'xxxxx' to your armor, replacing 'yyyyy'.
Click 'OK' to add 'xxxxxx',
Click 'CANCEL' to retain 'yyyyyy' (rune will still be used)."

This would at least mean my DT armor does not become worse after I have spent time and resources to improve it.

That is an awesome idea!

/signed Chicago-style

Irinis
06-08-2010, 10:29 PM
It is currently quicker, easier and less resource intensive to run PotH casual 3 times (as the runes drop 100%) than run SoS once.

This is likely fixed for Nerfdate5, making PotH harder to complete. Devs have made it abundantly clear they only want powergrinders in the most powergrindy guilds to have DT armor.

Look on the bright side though - the more people that refuse to do the grind for DT, the less people in any given run will ALL have the exact same armor graphics! ;)

Kaldaka
06-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Here's a suggestion for those who want to know for sure what they have on their runes:

Run monastery a *thousand* times. Do enough to get stacks of 2 or 3 of each unique rune, there is a finite number (24 if I'm counting correctly). You will ransack several times before you complete this, so this could take weeks to accomplish. Whatever you do, don't turn in the runes at the altars, wait until you have the stacks. Then you know for sure that whatever you want will be in your ingredient bag. The rest can then be ground into Tempest runes for the same purpose.

Its a pain and its a grind, but I guarantee you will get what you want on your DT armor.

Kaldaka
06-08-2010, 11:15 PM
oops double post ...