PDA

View Full Version : Switching Armor skins

Twitchster
06-04-2010, 05:20 PM
You ever came across a piece of armor and tried it on just to see what it looks like and find a skin that just looks great to you?

What I would like to know is if it would be possible (and easy to code) is being able to switch the skin you like to the armor you always wear.

If so, a simple "device of armor change" could be made to do this.

Place *random armor* with skin #52 into device with Icy Raiment (or whatever armor it is you wear) press "alter".. and bingo.

The random armor disappears and your armor has a brand new skin.

I know there are others who would just wish to change the color of the armor they are currently wearing, but this could go a step further and help everyone from looking the same.

Just a thought.. what do you think?

Daggaz
06-04-2010, 05:27 PM
You will wear your pink armor and love it! Why else would you have rolled an arcane kill-bot of death?

Twitchster
06-04-2010, 05:34 PM
You will wear your pink armor and love it! Why else would you have rolled an arcane kill-bot of death?

Well, I am sure there are those that would love to turn their current armor into pink armor ( I am thinking you since you brought that up :P ) this would be a way to do that.

It was just a thought, I do enjoy the humorous remark but still curious what others would think of this.

azrael4h
06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
This falls in with the unending desire for more aesthetic options and the ability to alter character appearance in-game. Not a new suggestion, but a good one. I wasted some time going through several sets of mail shirts to find one with the same skin as a old +2 version I had a couple levels before, just because I liked the looks. An inexpensive means of changing the skin (maybe 25tp) would have saved me time, and made me spend some of my tp that I paid for. Given how much I hate the look of 95% of the armors in game, it would end up being a common purchase.

AestorTheKnight
06-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Twitchster! Thanks for your post! :)

Yes this is a feature I, and a lot of other people would really like to see in DDO and we have been asking for it for quite a long time! Hehehe. And yes it really is a great idea, that would make DDO sooo much more fun, visually appealing and immersive. IE you could really develop your characters individuality by their appearance.

It is a continual source of frustration to me when I have looted or purchased a suit of armour with awsome Statistics such as a +5 Acid Guard Mithril Full Plate for my Barbarian, or a +5 Mithril Chain Shirt for my Rogue... but the appearance of these armours is just ugly and doesnt suit my character, and so the said piece of armour ends up gathering dust in my bank instead of being used...

At the moment I would really give anything for the ability to change Armour Appearances for my characters to my personal taste. Spend Turbine Points or Grind for Collectables etc etc.

The ability to customise the appearance of our characters equipment is something I would love to see in DDO.

And as far as I know this is something that would be easy to Code / Implement into DDO. Gamemasters already have the ability to switch armour skins by changeing their data sets, within their Gamemaster Tool Suite! But as yet Turbine have not made this option available to the players, for whatever reason.

But I hope they will in future. :)

You can read my detailed discussions of this issue here:

Skin Customisation: Further Thoughts : http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=220468

and

Cosmetic Items: Q & A + Feedback : http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=241621

I look forward to more discussion and comments on this issue! :)

P.S. Watch this space for my Forthcoming Tirade on Turbine for not implementing Equipment Appearance Customisation yet. Grrr!!!