PDA

View Full Version : Need better potions!

amrudnick
06-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I haven't played with a party yet, and decided to solo the 200 kobolds "extreme" quest with a 3rd lvl Barbarian. The first time I went in, I just charged them like an idiot and got through about 70 before falling. The regular kobolds can't hit me, but the Shamans' magic missiles are automatic hits (what I wouldn't give for a shield spell), so I could only stay up so long (I only had a few cure lights with me). I tried it again with a little more strategy, sneaking around the map and engaging small groups in guerrilla tactics. Worked well, but I ultimately dropped with 15 kobolds to go. Once again, only a few cure lights on hand. I would like to complete this quest on my own, and I know I could do it if I had better healing potions or other healing substances available. Does anyone know where I can get at least some cure mods in Stormreach? I tried the potion vendor in the harbor, but she only have cure lights. Thx!

stainer
06-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I haven't played with a party yet, and decided to solo the 200 kobolds "extreme" quest with a 3rd lvl Barbarian. The first time I went in, I just charged them like an idiot and got through about 70 before falling. The regular kobolds can't hit me, but the Shamans' magic missiles are automatic hits (what I wouldn't give for a shield spell), so I could only stay up so long (I only had a few cure lights with me). I tried it again with a little more strategy, sneaking around the map and engaging small groups in guerrilla tactics. Worked well, but I ultimately dropped with 15 kobolds to go. Once again, only a few cure lights on hand. I would like to complete this quest on my own, and I know I could do it if I had better healing potions or other healing substances available. Does anyone know where I can get at least some cure mods in Stormreach? I tried the potion vendor in the harbor, but she only have cure lights. Thx!

You can get better in the marketplace... you might try this quest with a hierling cleric, or better yet, with a group. It is a pretty long quest, and goes a lot better with a party.

amrudnick
06-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Thx for the advice, but I really want to try to complete it on my own.
I did try a hireling cleric, but I sent her to rest at a shrine while I tanked and she lost all her spell points? Maybe a glitch. I ended up getting almost all the way through without her and now I want to see if I can.

stainer
06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I did try a hireling cleric, but I sent her to rest at a shrine while I tanked and she lost all her spell points? Maybe a glitch. I ended up getting almost all the way through without her and now I want to see if I can.

It is a very hard quest to solo at level 3. I am not saying that you can't do it, but it may end up being very costly, or very frustrating or both.

AZgreentea
06-04-2010, 02:56 PM
The potion vendor has the cure mods in the market. He might also have some other pots that might help you there, though I cant remember if the shield spell is one of them.

tunabomber
06-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Theres a potion vendor in the marketplace,and also in the various houses.they have all the potions you'd want.

Mandinga
06-04-2010, 03:13 PM
You can get Cure Serious Pots at the Potion Vendor in House J. You may want to check the AH for cheap cookies or cakes to help you out.

Mandinga

Cendaer
06-04-2010, 06:35 PM
I haven't played with a party yet, and decided to solo the 200 kobolds "extreme" quest with a 3rd lvl Barbarian. The first time I went in, I just charged them like an idiot and got through about 70 before falling. The regular kobolds can't hit me, but the Shamans' magic missiles are automatic hits (what I wouldn't give for a shield spell),

This is why I tend to carry at least one 3x/day Shield (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Shield) clicky on my pure melee characters. They seem to be easy for me to find in Harbor quest, but due to the random nature of loot, YMMV.

so I could only stay up so long (I only had a few cure lights with me). I tried it again with a little more strategy, sneaking around the map and engaging small groups in guerrilla tactics. Worked well, but I ultimately dropped with 15 kobolds to go. Once again, only a few cure lights on hand. I would like to complete this quest on my own, and I know I could do it if I had better healing potions or other healing substances available. Does anyone know where I can get at least some cure mods in Stormreach? I tried the potion vendor in the harbor, but she only have cure lights. Thx!

You'll want to visit the Potion vendor under the tent in the Marketplace for cure mod. potions. For cure serious potions (ML: 1), visit the apothecary in either Jorasco Enclave or Kundarak Enclave.

For the highest healing potions in the game, you'll need 400 (Devout) Silver Flame favor. Silver Flame healing potions heal either 250 hp's or 100 hp's, depending on the type you buy; however they also come with 30-second side-effects which might cause them to not be the best choice at certain times/places.

Mandinga
06-04-2010, 06:49 PM
You'll want to visit the Potion vendor under the tent in the Marketplace for cure mod. potions. For cure serious potions (ML: 4), visit the apothecary in either Jorasco Enclave or Kundarak Enclave.

Cure Serious are ML: 1

amrudnick
06-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Do the meat items sold in the taverns that heal X points over Y time work anywhere, or only in the tavern? The way I sneak around that map, something that takes 30 seconds or a minute to heal me would be just fine.

clkpacker
06-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Do the meat items sold in the taverns that heal X points over Y time work anywhere, or only in the tavern? The way I sneak around that map, something that takes 30 seconds or a minute to heal me would be just fine.They only work in the tavern.

Some foods, like ham, can be eaten anywhere, but I don't know where you can buy them (if you even can).

Xeraphim
06-04-2010, 08:32 PM
I want Potions of Cure Critical Wounds and Potions of Heal(No, I don't mean those sh*tty Silver Flame "Gimp Yourself Beyond All Hope" potions) available at the regular potion vendors like Houses Jorasco and Kudarak.

I don't think the Developers like the idea of people using healing potions though. It's kind of painfully obvious for the reason that they stop at level 5.

Daliyn
06-05-2010, 04:41 AM
I think the Tasty Ham from the "Where there's Smoke..." quest in the Cerulean Hills (the items you use to bribe the dogs) can be used everywhere, they're the same Turbine gave out in the first Tasty Ham lotteries some weeks ago. You can get three from one run, and they heal 50 HP over time.

Ktesedale
06-05-2010, 04:56 AM
I think the Tasty Ham from the "Where there's Smoke..." quest in the Cerulean Hills (the items you use to bribe the dogs) can be used everywhere, they're the same Turbine gave out in the first Tasty Ham lotteries some weeks ago. You can get three from one run, and they heal 50 HP over time.

No, they're tavern only. They're not tasty ham, they're smoked ham (or maybe cured ham? One of those).

You can't buy tasty hams, except from the DDO store or the AH, but you get one when you finish The Collaborator on Korthos (I think that's the quest...) from the General Vendor, and you can get some from the chaos orbs in Xorian Cipher. If you're warforged, you can turn the hams into ham oil at the Stone of Change, btw.

And OP, make sure you pick up some resist fire potions when you buy pots. The throwers and shamans both do a lot of fire damage, but on normal, you'll take almost no fire damage at all with the basic 10 points of fire resist. As for your cleric losing her sp - could she have been taking damage while trying to rest and was healing herself up, hence spending the sp?

DoctorWhofan
06-05-2010, 11:06 AM
No, they're tavern only. They're not tasty ham, they're smoked ham (or maybe cured ham? One of those).

You can't buy tasty hams, except from the DDO store or the AH, but you get one when you finish The Collaborator on Korthos (I think that's the quest...) from the General Vendor, and you can get some from the chaos orbs in Xorian Cipher. If you're warforged, you can turn the hams into ham oil at the Stone of Change, btw.

And OP, make sure you pick up some resist fire potions when you buy pots. The throwers and shamans both do a lot of fire damage, but on normal, you'll take almost no fire damage at all with the basic 10 points of fire resist. As for your cleric losing her sp - could she have been taking damage while trying to rest and was healing herself up, hence spending the sp?

THe ham gift is a one time only thing. VERY RARELY you might find a rain of Tsty ham, but it is a rare event these days. 2nd year cakes have been used up for the most part.

Ktesedale
06-05-2010, 05:01 PM
THe ham gift is a one time only thing. VERY RARELY you might find a rain of Tsty ham, but it is a rare event these days. 2nd year cakes have been used up for the most part.

Sorry, should have mentioned that was one-time only for each character. Xorian Cipher really seems to be the best place to get ham, if you're looking for it, and you're willing to chance bad effects. (I don't know how many times I've run XC, but it's been a *lot*, and I've gotten 16 hams from it total).

Cendaer
06-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Cure Serious are ML: 1

... and so they are ...

I musta been remembering things like the +3 Barkskin potions and such.

My bad.

TheDjinnFor
06-05-2010, 06:56 PM
I want Potions of Cure Critical Wounds and Potions of Heal(No, I don't mean those sh*tty Silver Flame "Gimp Yourself Beyond All Hope" potions) available at the regular potion vendors like Houses Jorasco and Kudarak.

I don't think the Developers like the idea of people using healing potions though. It's kind of painfully obvious for the reason that they stop at level 5.

I think the real reason is that they never existed in PnP, and that they want UMD to be moderately useful (since at the moment No-fail Heal scrolling and Raise Dead scrolls are a good investment). Those without UMD have to play conservatively or depend on others for healing, I'm afraid; that, to me, is a good thing, and a fair trade between rogues and non-rogues.

Srozbun
06-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Maybe the hireling ran into mobs, took damage, and continuously healed himself using all his sp? Not sure. You can also try parking him in the beginning and only running back to him for a heal now and again.

amrudnick
06-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Maybe the hireling ran into mobs, took damage, and continuously healed himself using all his sp? Not sure. You can also try parking him in the beginning and only running back to him for a heal now and again.

Nope... she had more than half of her spell points left. I sent her to rest and she was interrupted, and this apparently cause all of her spell points to go away at once.

Kralgnax
06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I want Potions of Cure Critical Wounds and Potions of Heal(No, I don't mean those sh*tty Silver Flame "Gimp Yourself Beyond All Hope" potions) available at the regular potion vendors like Houses Jorasco and Kudarak.*SNIP*

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I did get a wand of cure critical wounds (Is that new?) on the weekend, but it had a pretty ferocious UMD. Heal scrolls, of course are UMD 40, so challenging - though doable - Mass heal, should you get a drop, are 52 - ZOMG!