PDA

View Full Version : Confusing Weapon Terminologies: What do they all mean?

Lord_Winn
06-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Every time I got a weapon through the chest, I start reading what they are for. Things like pure good, chaotic good I can understand. But the following I am a bit confused on the weapons' properties.

1) Ghost Touch
2) Bysheik
3) Adamantine
4) Axiomatic Pure Good
5) Silver Thread

There must be something special for the authors to include all these terms in front of the weapons. I know silver thread are good against vampires, but I have a "silver thread handwrap": honestly can you hit a vampire with a handwrap? Thanks.

Kahuna68
06-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Every time I got a weapon through the chest, I start reading what they are for. Things like pure good, chaotic good I can understand. But the following I am a bit confused on the weapons' properties.

1) Ghost Touch
2) Bysheik
3) Adamantine
4) Axiomatic Pure Good
5) Silver Thread

There must be something special for the authors to include all these terms in front of the weapons. I know silver thread are good against vampires, but I have a "silver thread handwrap": honestly can you hit a vampire with a handwrap? Thanks.

If you haven't yet, you will soon be fighting wraiths and other ghostly type creatures. They are incorporeal, so you have a 50% chance of hitting them. Unless you have a weapon with ghost touch!

As for the rest of those descriptive texts, most of them are a 'material' that bypasses the inherent damage reduction of creatures. For example, with the silver weapons, it's not that you need the silver to hit a vampire, but to damage him. So since the vampire is usually corporeal, you can hit and, better yet, damage him with those silver thread handwraps.

Check out this handy page on DDOwiki. It breaks down the enchantments, prefixes and suffixes on weapons rather well.
http://ddowiki.com/page/Weapon_enhancement_summary

tihocan
06-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Axiomatic Pure Good
I don't think such effect exists. You have the "Axiomatic" effect (prefix, deals damage to chaotic creatures), and the "Pure good" effect (suffix, deals damage to non-good creatures). But they are diffferent (although you can have both on the same weapon).

yams
06-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Ghost Touch: You will encounter wispy, wraithy, incorporeal monsters (ghosts, wraiths, and the like) from time to time. If you try to attack them with a normal weapon you will have an automatic 50% to miss after hitting AC due to their Incorporeal property, which functions as a sort of concealment. Ghost Touch weapons allow you to bypass this ability, negating the 50% miss chance (think of your weapon existing in two different planes, one of them the incorporeal plane if that makes sense).

Byeshk, Adamantine, and Silver are types of metals that a weapon might be made out of. They all bypass certain types of DR. Some monsters have a weakness to a certain type of material just because, but mainly because that's the way it is in D&D.

Axiomatic and Pure Good are two different modifiers. As per the wiki defition:
An axiomatic weapon is lawfully aligned and infused with the power of law. It makes the weapon law-aligned and thus bypass the corresponding damage reduction. The weapon deals an extra 2d6 against all targets of chaotic alignment.

As you may recall, you chose an alignment during character creation. Each monster has an alignment as well, some combination of Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic and Good/Neutral/Evil. Weapons with modifiers like Axiomatic, True Law, or Pure Good do extra damage (and bypass damage reduction) on monsters of the correct alignment. So, for example, an Axiomatic Scimitar would bypass any damage reduction of DR X/Lawful, and do an extra 2d6 damage against any creature with alignment Chaotic Good/Neutral/Evil.

Shumanfoo
06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Damage_types

Link has some of the info you want, and likely the rest on another page.

Lord_Winn
06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Ghost Touch: You will encounter wispy, wraithy, incorporeal monsters (ghosts, wraiths, and the like) from time to time. If you try to attack them with a normal weapon you will have an automatic 50% to miss after hitting AC due to their Incorporeal property, which functions as a sort of concealment. Ghost Touch weapons allow you to bypass this ability, negating the 50% miss chance (think of your weapon existing in two different planes, one of them the incorporeal plane if that makes sense).

Byeshk, Adamantine, and Silver are types of metals that a weapon might be made out of. They all bypass certain types of DR. Some monsters have a weakness to a certain type of material just because, but mainly because that's the way it is in D&D.

Axiomatic and Pure Good are two different modifiers. As per the wiki defition:

As you may recall, you chose an alignment during character creation. Each monster has an alignment as well, some combination of Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic and Good/Neutral/Evil. Weapons with modifiers like Axiomatic, True Law, or Pure Good do extra damage (and bypass damage reduction) on monsters of the correct alignment. So, for example, an Axiomatic Scimitar would bypass any damage reduction of DR X/Lawful, and do an extra 2d6 damage against any creature with alignment Chaotic Good/Neutral/Evil.

Thanks for letting me know, yams and other forum members. Shooot, just sold a ghost touch crossbow arrow got out of Delera. Gonna see if I can buy it back.

DavionFuxa
06-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Keep in mind that with ammo, it is usually best to plan your weaponry in terms of what ammo you can fire from the store. I'm not sure Ghost Touch Ammunition is sold anywhere for example so 20 or 40 bolts with Ghost Touch isn't going to amount to much. Better just to sell it and plan on getting a Ghost Touch Weapon. Additionally I would get a Ghost Touch Melee Weapon as I find they aren't strong enough to warrant firing ammunition at them, or if I'm too lazy for that, just to fire any old arrow into them.

There are some advanced thoughts also to keep in mind as a note on weapons that you should probably be aware of. When it comes to ammunition, you can buy some of the sweet stuff when you get enough favor with House D. There you can hoard stuff like Cold Iron Arrows, Adamantine Bolts, and other Metals that you might need to bypass the DR of mobs. I commonly take Cold Iron Bolts into Gianthold for example with just a Holy Burst Light Repeating Crossbow.

Loromir
06-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't think such effect exists. You have the "Axiomatic" effect (prefix, deals damage to chaotic creatures), and the "Pure good" effect (suffix, deals damage to non-good creatures). But they are diffferent (although you can have both on the same weapon).

I pulled a +1 Axiomatic Bastard Sword of Pure Good just 2 days ago.

tihocan
06-04-2010, 04:57 PM
I pulled a +1 Axiomatic Bastard Sword of Pure Good just 2 days ago.
Grats! :p