PDA

View Full Version : Vicious with DR?

Azuarc
06-04-2010, 12:17 AM
The weapon prefix Vicious does considerable damage to all creatures, at the cost of doing damage back to the wielder. I don't know if there are stronger vicious weapons, but the ones I've seen so far return 1d3 damage. As a cleric, I've thought about picking one of these up, but even for a healer, an average of 2 damage per successful swing is a lot to absorb...

Or wait, *CAN* you absorb this damage? It seems like if I were a game designer, I would make the vicious effect bypass damage reduction, but I'm wearing adamantine armor. Maybe I can actually use these without getting hurt. But I don't know, and my cash is at a premium, so I don't want to buy a weapon from the AH just to find out.

Does anyone know? Do vicious weapons still deal damage to you when you have damage reduction?

Vanshilar
06-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Yes, vicious will still deal damage to yourself when you have damage reduction. So there's not really a way to bypass it, you'll be taking the damage.

It's not helpful at the low levels (because monsters do very little damage before they die, so the damage dealt / damage taken ratio isn't favorable), but it's more of use at the high levels when melees are looking to maximize their damage output.

English_Warrior
06-04-2010, 12:35 AM
I did here somebody suggest using bodyfeeder (temp hitpoints on criticals) and lifeshield (10% chance of gaining temp hitpoints on being hit) items with a vicious weapon.

Ive never tried it but it would seem to me that you could mitigate some of the vicious backlash damage with free temporary hitpoints...that would get used up and then replenished throughout the fight.

Im not sure how effective it would be...anybody have any experince with this?

Sogrin
06-04-2010, 12:38 AM
I did here somebody suggest using bodyfeeder (temp hitpoints on criticals) and lifeshield (10% chance of gaining temp hitpoints on being hit) items with a vicious weapon.

Ive never tried it but it would seem to me that you could mitigate some of the vicious backlash damage with free temporary hitpoints...that would get used up and then replenished throughout the fight.

Im not sure how effective it would be...anybody have any experince with this?

as bodyfeeder and vicious are both prefixes, you will usually only find one or the other on any given weapon, making it only pssible for TWF character really.

temp points would lessen the blow of the vicious damage intakc, but i do not know if the vicious 1d3 damge actually procs lifeshield.

English_Warrior
06-04-2010, 12:50 AM
as bodyfeeder and vicious are both prefixes, you will usually only find one or the other on any given weapon, making it only pssible for TWF character really.

temp points would lessen the blow of the vicious damage intakc, but i do not know if the vicious 1d3 damge actually procs lifeshield.

Yes I was suggesting TWF....1 bodyfeeder and 1 vicious.

I wouldn't think that the lifeshield (on armor or whatever) would go off because of the vicious...but it should be going off from regular enemy hits often enough to contribute somewhat.

And combining the 2 might make vicious far more appealing.....I don't know it was just an idea.

Azuarc
06-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Well, there goes that penchant for an easy way to deal good damage. I'm definitely a single-wielder, and too low to see bodyfeeder weapons anyhow. So in that case, what should I be trying to find for a respectable weapon at level 8? As a NG cleric, my character is currently using either a heavy mace or a longsword. Are the anti-evil weapons good against most enemies?

PopeJual
06-04-2010, 05:19 PM
So in that case, what should I be trying to find for a respectable weapon at level 8?

Element prefixes are always good. Holy is always good. Holy Burst is nice, but only go for it on a weapon with a decent crit range.

Of Pure Good is nice. Paralyzing is WONDERFUL. Vorpal is nice too (although I'd rather have a Paralyzer than a Vorpal in most circumstances). Paralyzing and Vorpal don't actually appear on weapons below ML 10 weapons unless you have a race restriction on the weapon, though. Just keep your eyes peeled for an ML 10 +1 Paralyzer of any weapon type that you can weild on the Auction House for when you actually hit level 10.

Last thought: a good old +5 weapon is never a bad thing to have against generic monsters since an extra plus to hit will probably do you more good as a level 8 cleric than extra damage dice would do for you.