PDA

View Full Version : Can we PLEASE fix favored skills? Please?

psymun
06-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Point:
Why do Rogues get intimidate? While Paladins don't? Rogues are best when sneak attacking, so why would they want to intimidate? Meanwhile, Paladins are supposed to be the protectors, but yet they can't pull aggro away from the weaker party members.

Why don't casters get diplomacy? And what's the point in a Sorcerer having bluff? What abilities does a sorcerer have that count as sneak attack?

Why do Favored souls, Fighters, and Barbarians get jump, but Paladins and Clerics don't? (Casters can cast jump so I understand them not getting the favored skill).

And shouldn't Fighters and Barbarians get balance? What good are your best fighters if they can't stay standing?

My point is, favored skills, from what I would expect, should be skills that are useful to each class to play their role. I can understand why UMD and Haggle are exclusive, that makes sense because they aren't required for a character to play it's role.

Combat_Wombat
06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
to answer part of it

fvs get jump because they are a jumping class, fighters get jump because they are the jack-of-all-trades melee class, and barbs get jump because... idk I always think of the barbs in diablo 2 jumping all over the place and it makes sense

Aashrym
06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Those skills were given because those are the PnP skills for those classes.

PopeJual
06-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Those skills were given because those are the PnP skills for those classes.

And this is entirely reasonable for most of the skills, but intimidate especially doesn't even exist in PnP as a skill. Sure there's a skill called Intimidate, but it's an entirely different beast.

Actually, intimidate is the only skill that I have a problem with. Paladins at least should get it since it's essentially shouting, "HEY! ATTACK ME! I'LL SACRIFICE MYSELF FOR THE COMMON GOOD!" :)

Lorien_the_First_One
06-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Actually intim for rogues makes perfect sense if you think about what a rogue is. Same for diplo being the pali's way.

The fact that we don't play classes the way they were intended in PnP is the reason for the apparent disparity.

Mister_Peace
06-03-2010, 12:05 PM
In PnP, the diplomacy and intimidate skills are quite versatile. In DDO they (aside from Crucible and BAM) have only one use. Any dungeon master would agree - Paladins in DDO should have the DDO Intimidate skill.

Aashrym
06-03-2010, 01:50 PM
And this is entirely reasonable for most of the skills, but intimidate especially doesn't even exist in PnP as a skill. Sure there's a skill called Intimidate, but it's an entirely different beast.

Actually, intimidate is the only skill that I have a problem with. Paladins at least should get it since it's essentially shouting, "HEY! ATTACK ME! I'LL SACRIFICE MYSELF FOR THE COMMON GOOD!" :)

For sure. Giving intimidate to pallies does make send for game play. I was just stating why they are what they are.

Ganolyn
06-03-2010, 04:45 PM
to answer part of it

fvs get jump because they are a jumping class, fighters get jump because they are the jack-of-all-trades melee class, and barbs get jump because... idk I always think of the barbs in diablo 2 jumping all over the place and it makes sense

Barbs get it because they were just ripping off Conan the Barbarian and he could jump like a panther.