PDA

View Full Version : open lock

Shumanfoo
06-02-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm developing a character that can disable and open lock. I know I would want to have disable as high as I can get it. Is there a "magic number" for what I should shoot for in the open lock skill? It seems like that is not as necessary as disable, since what I have seen so far is that locked doors only hide optional stuff and haven't been necessary for main quest progress.

Thanks,
Shu

DavionFuxa
06-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Open Lock is a nifty skill that you don't need to have as high as Disable Device. Basically you can unlock objects, doors, and so forth, to get access to additional loot and optional objectives. Open Lock also has some use in Tempest Spine where you need the skill or Knock to unlock doors to progress to Sor'Jek as well. You don't need to have it as high as possible, just enough that you can unlock things in a reasonable amount of tries. You can't explode a lock so failure is an option, unlike with Disable Device.

I can't tell you how much to take, just that you should try to aim to have enough Open Lock that you can at least pick a lock on a 15 or higher roll.

Cam_Neely
06-02-2010, 09:43 AM
You can't explode a lock so failure is NOT an option, unlike with Disable Device.
I think you meant this, but not sure

DavionFuxa
06-02-2010, 10:19 AM
No, I meant what I said. Unlike with Disable Device where if you blow up the Trap Panel, you can't make additional attempts - there is no associated problem with opening a lock.

Sinni
06-02-2010, 10:28 AM
people say it's somewhat around 10 skill ranks. with that you can reach 10 + 15 item + 7 tools + 20 roll (guaranteed as you can try as often as you want) + dex + buffs + boosts + enhancments + misc
what woud be 52 "base". boosts could be human or rogue skill boost. buffs could be greater heroism (+4), bard skill song and maybe more. one thing that springs to mind for "misc" would be the voice of the master with another +1. you can still add dex and enhancments then

this should be enough for most doors in the game. one of the hardest to unlock (epic not counted) is in the fleshmakers labratory, but there is a key for that door.

Lilliana
06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi

I don't know if this guide is too old, but my guess is the high Water Marks are still valid or close to valid.
The guide is called "Is my <insert rogue skill> high enough?".
I have found it helpful myself :)

Link: http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Is_my_%28insert_rogue_skill%29_high_enough

Shumanfoo
06-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the replies, they were helpful.

Mockduck
06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't know what the "best" number to have it is, but I usually shoot for the mid-teens on a character with Open Lock and never have problems with locks.

ArkoHighStar
06-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Is your character primarily rogue, or will it be a rogue splash?

Shumanfoo
06-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Is your character primarily rogue, or will it be a rogue splash?

Rogue splash. I was planning to max both open lock and disable, but if I don't need to max OL, then I could put those points elsewhere for some of the levels.

markusthelion
06-02-2010, 02:31 PM
thou cannot disableith, what thou cannot findeth! You also need a good search skill.

tihocan
06-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Half ranks usually works ok. There may be a few locks you will have trouble opening (maybe on Elite / Epic?), but overall it's enough for the large majority of the content.

Shumanfoo
06-02-2010, 02:50 PM
thou cannot disableith, what thou cannot findeth! You also need a good search skill.

Yep, I never said I wasn't taking it. Just discussing how high OL needs to be in comparison with DD.