PDA

View Full Version : Most Wanted Monsters

Mikula
06-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Here are 3 ideas I had for classic DnD monsters that I think should make an appearance in DDO. If any other players have ideas for more I will add them here.

Displacer beast
Why: Because they look B.A. mostly. Other than that they would just be a very hardy wolf type creature that would attack anything else that isn't a displacer.
Problems: On the dev side I can't really see these guys being much of an issue. The tentacles might be a little hard to animate. But what do I know.
Conclusion:I actually suspect these may already be on the way. (They would fit well in a carnival. Besides the fact that they would kill everything there if they got loose.) If they aren't I would highly recommend them for an adventure pack in the near future.

Dolgrim
Why: New hoard monsters for adventure packs based around invaders from Xoriat. Main reason to add them is to shake things up and give players a break from kobolds, hobgoblins ect...
Problems: They have 4 arms so I would assume there would be problems trying to figure out how that would work on a combat level.
Conclusion: Not really anything amazing here. This seems reasonably simple to me although I am not a programmer so maybe the 4 arms thing will be harder than it sounds.

Dolgaunt
Why: Because they go well with the Dolgrim, and these are disgusting looking evil master minds would make fun boss fights.
Problems: I can't really see any, they are blind so rogues would not have to have anything in hide to sneak by them but their listen would be off the charts making it more difficult overall. That really isn't a problem though. They also would be monk class and that has already been created so it doesn't seem like there would be much of a problem, the dolgrim seem more troublesome.
Conclusion: These guys would be easier to create than the Dolgrim. They probably couldn't be anything else but bosses because I can't really see more than three of them working together and they wouldn't be following the orders of anything but a Daelkyr, and if we are fighting one of those, we are all pretty much dead.

Goblins
Why: A new trash mob for low level quests that isn't a kobold.
Problems: I can't really see any.
Conclusion: A mission where you have to navigate through tunnels where goblins and kobolds are having a war would be lots of fun.

Hydras
Why: A new giant monster for raids and the like that makes you wet yourself. Lesser hydras are also requested.
Problems: Like having four arms I feel like having however many heads hydras have would be a difficult thing to put into the game. Also the fact that a 2 new heads will "spring forth in 1d4 rounds" after one head is cut off would be hard. Plus I am sure there would be lagging issues if a team doesn't quickly slay all the heads and just lobs them off slowly. So they would probably need some sort of head cap.
Conclusion:I feel like this would be the hardest creature to make that has been requested. On the plus side though it would defiantly add a whole lot of variety to the combat and make the sunder feat a lot more useful.

Mimics:
Why: Give the developers a new hilarious way to kill off the party. Doors, chests, barrels no one will look at them the same again.
Problems: The mimics main goal in PnP was to surprise an unwary player. If mimics only appear in the same place every time you do a quest it will become old fast. Most the implementation seems fairly straight forward to me, although I am no game dev so what do I know.
Conclusion:As far as priorities go I would put this toward the bottom. Yes mimics add a brand new element to the game but they have always been a gimmick even in the PnP. If a DM ever places a mimic in a session you know he is running out of actually good ideas.

Waukeen
06-01-2010, 09:14 PM
More types of devils and demons.
Better and Actual Quori.
Daelkyr: the lords of Xoriat.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82151.jpg

Stormwine
06-01-2010, 09:18 PM
If they do add succubus let me know Ill send you Pictures of my wife to base your model on and s sound bite of her when she gets really ticked off screaming. Shes hot, mean and truly evil

Symar-FangofLloth
06-01-2010, 09:49 PM
There are quite a few succubus already in game.... all in Shavarath, though the upcoming level 5 pack will have at least one in it as well.

I'd love to see some Daelkyr and their minions.

And I"d also love to have more run-ins with the Quori, and not when they're caught off-guard.

TiranBlade
06-01-2010, 09:57 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/tn_MM35_PG133.jpg
Ello, me unt ta ve un'vatek du de arty!

Ghoste
06-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Daelkyr would be interesting, although you would have to figure out a way around the fact that the only way to kill one is to destroy the entire plane of Xoriat itself. Quest objective would likely have to be about sticking one back in his subterranean prison or something like that.

***Edit*** Went back and reviewed my sources. Seems I mis-stated them a bit. :b

Seamonkeysix
06-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Hydras

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5880/hydra2d.jpg

Symar-FangofLloth
06-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Daelkyr would be interesting, although you would have to figure out a way around the fact that the only way to kill one is to destroy the entire plane of Xoriat itself. Quest objective would likely have to be about sticking one back in his subterranean prison or something like that.

That's totally fine with me; it'd likely be a raid boss, anyway.
Maybe even one of the Lords of Dust.

LunaCee
06-01-2010, 10:44 PM
The Lords of Dust are Rakshasa! Specifically the direct subordinates of the Rakshasa Rajahs.

Anything involving them includes some pretty heavy backstabbing among the ranks and maybe an attempt at freeing a Rajah. It took a coalition of the entire draconic race as well as the couatl to stuff them into their underground prisons or boot them back to Khyber due to the fact that they are essentially immortal.

And to quote straight from page 195 of the Ebberon campaign setting book:
The Lords of Dust: The Rakshasas recently discovered the true nature of Haka'torvhak, and now the fiends wish to reclaim the ancient city. Because of ancient enchantments, they cannot enter the city while it's draconic guardian lives. So, with the patience of immortals, they set plans in motion to destroy Rhashaak.

Waukeen
06-01-2010, 11:07 PM

There are a number trapped on Eberron from the war with the Dhaakani empire 9k years ago or so.

I have no idea where you got the destroy the plane idea.

The Lord of Eyes is one example, I believe he is located in the Magic of Eberron Supplement.

I do fully agree that fighting one to keep it in kyber is a better option than opening xoriat up, that is bad news bears, and wouldn't be good for anybody :D

Mikula
06-01-2010, 11:13 PM

If they worked together a story like that I would defiantly like to see the Daelkyr but if you actually have to go toe to toe with one it should be very one sided and the only goal should be to buy other raid members time to set the trap or some such thing. The main reason I suggested Dolgaunt was because I figured Daelkyr were out of the question.

If there is an Aboleth in the underwater quests they have been talking about that would be amazing! But I doubt the first thing they are going to implement when they start these underwater quests is something that big and deadly.

Another creature I was hesitant to put at the top would be the Doppelganger. Just because it would be very hard to get the mechanics right for them. Also they aren't a very combat oriented group. On the other hand if they do make Doppelgangers the Changeling race would follow soon after. I seriously doubt either of those will happen in the near future if ever though.

Ghoste
06-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I have no idea where you got the destroy the plane idea.

Trying to find the reference myself now...I recall reading something that said they were immortal because they are composed of the plane of Xoriat itself, although in retrospect I now realize the author may have merely meant that is why they have no lifespan, not why they cannot be killed. Although that is the reason the Dreaming Dark cannot be killed, merely returned to Dal Quor or else to be changed into the light version.

Waukeen
06-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Trying to find the reference myself now...I recall reading something that said they were immortal because they are composed of the plane of Xoriat itself, although in retrospect I now realize the author may have merely meant that is why they have no lifespan, not why they cannot be killed. Hmmm...still searching....

Let me know. I know they naturally live forever, but there is also a dead one the Binding Stone, book one of the Dragon Below Trilogy.

Geth the Shifter gets his ancient Dhakaani blade by defeating the ghost of one.

There is also a sweet scene of a living one in holding court in his prison citidel.

He has no mouth but uses telepathy to scream craziness.

Seamonkeysix
06-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Come on...hydras! In Eberron they are associated with House Phiarlan. I am even down with pyrohydras and cryohydras. It's been a long time since we battled something spectacularly big and an instance that made you go "wow!". (Remember the first time you did Von 6 and saw Velah launch into the air?)

Raid boss would be fine, but maybe some lesser hydras in other instances?

Rakian_Knight
06-02-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm still waiting to see some of the most iconic Dungeons and Dragons Monsters, besides a few dragons.

1) GOBLINS!
2) Hydra (pyro-hydro or my new favorite Pheudonatural Complete Arcane makes them even nastier)
3) Bulettes (aka Land Sharks)
4) Cockatrice
5) Dire ANYTHING
6) Changelings
7) Shifters
8) Githyanki
9) Githzerai
10) the list continues.... but I don't feel like spending two hours typing it up.

Now, I don't play pnp eberron very much (mostly because all eberron groups I've been in have fallen apart quickly) so I'm not sure how these creatures translate into the world but most of these are standard Dnd monsters that you see when thinking about Dnd besides the Elder Wyrm Red Dragon about to kill your party.

Ystradmynach
06-02-2010, 01:10 AM
I really like to see the Thri-Kreen, they are unusual enough and have some interesting abilities that I think would make for some worthy adversaries. I understand that they live in the desert of Menechtarun in Eberron, so they would fit right in storywise as well.

Morningfrost
06-02-2010, 01:18 AM
I would like Modrons. Are they included in the Eberron setting?

http://i.somethingawful.com/u/elpintogrande/may09/modron3_img.gif

Ormindo
06-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Necromancers. So I can have a something to hew with my Paladin. Necromancers ARE the real ennemies of Paladins.

And...
Vegetable monsters ? Man-eater plants, for instance.

Sinni
06-02-2010, 05:07 AM
i'd also opt for goblins

one of the most common monsters (especially at low levels) and we don't have them in DDO. would be a change to all those kobolds...

AaronB
06-02-2010, 05:29 AM
C'mon Tarrasque! It's even mentioned in the game already (in Toad the hireling's text).

I have another related idea, though. How about a contest for coming up with the best storyline revolving around the Tarrasque, with the winner being used for a future adventure pack? I think that would generate a lot of interest, and the result would probably be really cool.

uhgungawa
06-02-2010, 05:51 AM
Pixi Mindflayer Litches, Evil little buggers slip into your ear and ..... :p

Rakian_Knight
06-02-2010, 06:56 AM
C'mon Tarrasque! It's even mentioned in the game already (in Toad the hireling's text).

I have another related idea, though. How about a contest for coming up with the best storyline revolving around the Tarrasque, with the winner being used for a future adventure pack? I think that would generate a lot of interest, and the result would probably be really cool.

If we only had a miracle.

FuzzyDuck81
06-02-2010, 07:03 AM
i'd really like to see mimics.. just because having some pillock run to the chest while the rest of the group are still dealing with a bunch of enemies and getting themselves killed by it would be funny :)

a dracolich (iirc there's someone, that Sor'Jek is working for that i think might be one, so would fit in.. cant remember the name right now)

also, as there's going to be underwater combat coming.. Cthulu as an underwater raid boss would be awesome :D or at least an aboleth :)

Ghoste
06-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Let me know. I know they naturally live forever, but there is also a dead one the Binding Stone, book one of the Dragon Below Trilogy.

Geth the Shifter gets his ancient Dhakaani blade by defeating the ghost of one.

There is also a sweet scene of a living one in holding court in his prison citidel.

He has no mouth but uses telepathy to scream craziness.
"Despite this outward appearance, daelkyr were actually sexless and did not reproduce, since
they were formed from the chaotic fabric of the plane of Xoriat itself."
-The Grand History of Eberron, P 47
Ya, seems it doesn't say exactly what I thought it did. In fact it also makes reference to the war with the Gatekeepers and "the surviving daelkyr" being imprisoned, implying that some did not survive.

Mikula
06-02-2010, 10:18 AM
If they were to add Bulettes to the game which would you perfer, the normal Bulette or the Karrnathi Bulette? I sort of feel like the Karrnathi Bulette should be put in first since they are more natural to Eberron but of course they are carrion. But a quest where you have to venture into one's lair and dodge the pit traps in order to collect something or just kill a pack of them would be fun.

EKKM
06-02-2010, 10:33 AM
This is a no brainer - flumphs

http://www.3rdedition.org/merricb/flumph.htm

"Normally the flumph repels an attack with a squirt of foul-smelling liquid; this can strike anyone within a 60 degree arc up to a range of 20' - any victim who fails his saving throw (versus poison) will flee in disgust."

"The flumph is helpless if turned over."

In the last frame:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0055.html

They are lawful good - have to be a "running with the devils" type quest

Schmoe
06-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Wow, where to start?

Chimera - classic
Pegasus - classic
Griffon - classic
Centaur - classic
Unicorn - classic
Goblins - classic
Ankheg - fits so well in adventure areas
Bulette - classic, also fits well in adventure areas
Hydra - big, mean, nasty, classic
Aboleth - if the underwater adventures don't feature one, I'll be disappointed
Mimic - imagine the hilarity: doors, chests, pedestals, barrels, crates, etc.
Doppelganger - would be extremely hard to do right, but oh so worth it
Naga - excellent mastermind villains
Basilisk - classic
Cockatrice - classic
Medusa - classic
Bodak - We need more save-or-die enemies. Beholders aren't enough :D
Gibbering Mouther - nothing says madness like the mouther
Remorhaz - for the coolness factor
Lycanthropes (of all stripes) - How can these be missing?
Roper - classic
PURPLE WORM - classic
Night Walker - also for the coolness factor. Maybe when the 12 portal to Dolur is opened?
Swarms - such a great PnP mechanic, would be nice to have it in DDO

I could go on, but I think I've made my point :)

Since there's a chance they are putting in more 3-d movement with the underwater pack, I'd love to see some of the flying creatures get implemented with 3-d swooping/flying, so they stay out of range much of the time.

EKKM
06-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Wow, where to start?

Since there's a chance they are putting in more 3-d movement with the underwater pack, I'd love to see some of the flying creatures get implemented with 3-d swooping/flying, so they stay out of range much of the time.

I'll take that as another vote for Flumphs

Mikula
06-02-2010, 11:21 AM
I'll take that as another vote for Flumphs

I actually would also like to vote for them. Although I want Turbine to wait till April fools day to release them. And maybe drop hints throughout March about a massive new rare monster that will appear in all wildernesses.

Eladiun
06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Lamannia Inhabitants: Achaierai, animals (all), arrowhawk (all), belker, celestial animals, bebilith (demon), hellcat (devil), water elemental (all), fiendish animals,, avoral (guardinal), leonal (guardinal), hellwasp swarm, lycanthropes (all), earth mephit, ooze mephit, water mephit, nightmare, thoqqua, tojanida (all), , xorn (all), yeth hound.

Manual of the Planes: dao (genie), marid (genie), ooze paraelemental (all), smoke paraelemental (all).

And the second option on the Planescaler in the Twelve would also be active.

donfilibuster
06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
It'd be ok if the hydra is as mobile as velah, and the many heads can be treated as multiple monsters.
(and need not be complex, think of how the bats hover on the PCs)

The displacer beast appendix may be treated much like the scorpion tails.
At least it doesn't have wings, unlike the many feline d&d monsters that didn't make into DDO because they fly.

The mimic can be a 'rare' monster and its chest at the same time.

Drakos
06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
My vote for new monsters is Cubethulu :)

Garumn
06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
If they do add succubus let me know Ill send you Pictures of my wife to base your model on and s sound bite of her when she gets really ticked off screaming. Shes hot, mean and truly evil

Funniest thing I have read in a while!!:D:D:D

TiranBlade
06-03-2010, 02:46 AM
My vote for new monsters is Cubethulu :)

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/images/d&D%20beasts%20gelatinous%20cube.jpg

Yes, Respect the Cube!

donfilibuster
06-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Speaking of displacer beasts, i was browsing the forums and on the ranger subforum i read the following description:

Ranger. The forests and hills are home to fierce and cunning creatures, such as bloodthirsty owlbears and malicious displacer beasts. But more cunning that than these monsters is the ranger, a skilled hunter and stalker.

Olwbears! Displacer beasts! Skilled rangers! Where?

DoctorWhofan
06-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Mimics. Looting would be a WHOLE other ballgame.