PDA

View Full Version : "Class Skill" Question

Aleran
05-29-2010, 01:21 AM
So I noticed that when leveling up specific skills, you only get a .5 increase in the skill per point if the skill is not your "class skill." Essentially my question is, if I were to multiclass, would the class skills for both classes be considered class skills for my character? Ex: If I rolled a sorcerer level 1, I can take sorcerer skills without losing the .5 point. Then for my 2nd level, if I took bard, would I be able to take Move Silently (which I think is a bard skill) without losing the .5 point? If for my 3rd level I decided to take sorcerer once again, am I still able to take move silently without losing the .5 point?

Sorry if my wording is confusing, I couldn't really think of another way to phrase this. Thanks for all of the help in advance.

DoctorWhofan
05-29-2010, 01:52 AM
No. The skill list is based on what you aretaking at that time. Bards get haggle, but if you take a level of Sorcerer, the haggle is now a cross class skill and you can get .5.

Stormwine
05-29-2010, 01:54 AM
No unfortunately, the Bard "Class Skills" become your class skills. What ever the class you last switched to any skills that arent that classes will become .5 per click

eonfreon
05-29-2010, 02:00 AM
Well, it's kind of both.
In your example:
Sorcerer can only put .5 in Haggle. Lets say he does that for his first 2 levels and has 1 rank in haggle (Actually he can put more because he is allowed to have 2 Ranks at the cost of 4 skill points at level 1 but I'm ignoring that at the moment).
THird level He mutliclasses to Bard. Now he can put a full point into Haggle. He now has 2 Ranks. Any Sorcerer skills that aren't shared by the Bard will cost him 2 points to raise 1 Rank.
ANd he can bring it up to the max in Ranks if he has enough Skill Points to do so.
Next level back to Sorcerer. He can put in 1 Rank BUT it costs him 2 skill points to raise it that 1 Rank. SO he can continue to raise it 1 Rank per level but it will cost him double in skill points.
And his Sorcerer skills go back to 1 point costs.

So basically, it does make it a non-class skill in respects to how many Ranks are allowed but it costs twice as much in skill points while you are in the other class.

tihocan
05-29-2010, 10:58 AM
The important rules to keep in mind:
- whenever you level up in a class, you gain 1 rank / skill point in this class' skills, and 0.5 rank / skill point in other skills
- the *max* rank you can get when leveling to level X is (X + 3) for a skill which is a class skill for *any* of your classes, and half of that for other skills

And one important consequence of this: be careful not to end up with a useless 0.5 in a skill, due to poor skill planning. Not only you can waste a skill point this way, but it can prevent you from maxing a skill: for instance imagine you have a Rogue 19 / Fighter 1 and you put some skill point into Disable Device on your Fighter level so that you are at 9.5 in DD after this level. Then you continue with your Rogue levels, and you'll be at 22.5 at L20 instead of 23: it will be impossible for you to reach 23 because adding a skill point into this skill would make it 23.5, which is more than the maximum of 23, so the game will prevent you from doing it. So you'll be stuck at 22.5, which is the same as 22 from a gameplay point-of-view.

Aleran
05-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Thanks guys, it all makes sense to me now. I appreciate it :)