PDA

View Full Version : hideously ugly gear and an idea to fix it

jcTharin
05-28-2010, 08:32 PM
I often hear of people who are upset about how hideously ugly much of the gear and weapons are in DDO. This made me remember something from a game I once played

In the MMORPG Runes of Magic there is something called The Aggregator (http://us.runesofmagic.com/us/aggregator.html) that you can buy using real money that can change what something looks like.

Here’s how it worked.

You would need two weapons or pieces of gear of the same type.

Item A is an awesome sword of kill everything, but it looks about as pretty as the bastard child of a trog and a beholder.

Item B is a sword that has nothing special stat wise, but it looks awesome.

The thing you can buy from the store takes item A and makes it look like item B, and item A keeps the same stats as before. Item B is destroyed.

Now you have an awesome sword of kill everything that looks awesome instead of looking like a beholder/trog baby

I could see turbine selling something like this in the store and being able to make a significant profit from it.

Could anyone think of ways to improve on this?

katana_one
05-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't know, but the pessimist in me thinks that this would be a great excuse for Turbine to make a lot more ugly gear and a lot less cool-looking stuff. :P

jcTharin
05-28-2010, 08:45 PM
you know what i would do if they made this?

i would take the most uber armor i could find and make it look like starter rags.

just for the "double-u tea f" effect

olBillDoor
05-28-2010, 09:10 PM
I like the idea and execution, just not so much the "buy from the store" ingredient to make the change. It would be better if you combined several collectibles on the stone of change to make the "change activator item," or sell the completed item in the store for the lazy. This would probably help flow of plat from high level players to low level players via selling common low level collectibles on the AH... dunno, just a thought.

AestorTheKnight
05-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi JcTharin and thanks for your post! :) Yep this is something I, along with a LOT of other people, would like to see addressed by Turbine in future Updates to DDO.

The players have long requested a method for customising their equipment appearance in DDO. But as yet Turbine has only responded by introducing Bunny Hats etc... however the advent of Bunny Hats may lead to further appearance customisation options in the future.

If you are interested you can read my detailed posts on this issue here:

Skin Customisation - Further Thoughts : http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=220468

and

Cosmetic Items Q & A + Feedback : http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=241621

Hope you find these posts interesting :) Your comments and ideas are welcome.

AyumiAmakusa
05-29-2010, 03:28 PM
They probably wouldn't do this but what they might do is sell cosmetic gear which just covers your current gear. Isn't that what they're doing to hats nowadays?

TheHazShow
05-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Just to point this out, The problem starts with not knowing how the item looks like before purchase unless you get someone to model it for you.

As with your idea, its pretty good imo, but I would rather see the item compliment how you already look as opposed to using another item and it gets destroyed. An example of this would be to make the item match another part of your body, whether if be your skin color or you eye color or hair.

Another way this could work would be perhaps to mixing ingredients to make an item turn to a different color or design.