PDA

View Full Version : We need to tech new players about bonus stacking

Devonian
05-28-2010, 02:04 PM
We still get a lot of intermittent 'Do X and Y stack' questions, so its clear that a basic part of game play isn't coming over. We need some way to clearly teach the way bonuses work in D&D, perhaps a quest on Korthose where your given an item known to clash with starting gear only to be told 'Oh that's no good, here have [item] with [different] bonus.' Going on to explain the interactions?

Quijonsith
05-28-2010, 02:20 PM
We still get a lot of intermittent 'Do X and Y stack' questions, so its clear that a basic part of game play isn't coming over. We need some way to clearly teach the way bonuses work in D&D, perhaps a quest on Korthose where your given an item known to clash with starting gear only to be told 'Oh that's no good, here have [item] with [different] bonus.' Going on to explain the interactions?

I agree this needs to be explained to players new to the DnD ruleset. Putting in a scenario on korthos and/or the harbor which introduces this to players would be good. I think also that there should be a tooltip popping up for any character's first time using a new bonus type or using any two items that don't stack due to the same bonus type explaining what happens with said items and their impact on the character.

sultanica
05-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Just a thought...

Your character sheet should indicate in red if there is a conflict or bonus from an item that is overriding another one.
When I started out I had no idea things didn't stack and I wondered why having 3 or 4 str items didn't seem to improve anything. If there was an indication in the character sheet with a possible explanation, it would make it easier to learn these things.

Quijonsith
05-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Just a thought...

Your character sheet should indicate in red if there is a conflict or bonus from an item that is overriding another one.
When I started out I had no idea things didn't stack and I wondered why having 3 or 4 str items didn't seem to improve anything. If there was an indication in the character sheet with a possible explanation, it would make it easier to learn these things.

That's another good idea. A shiny red number in the breakdown when you mouse over the stats and a red number for the stat itself showing there's a conflict would be great. Granted my 20 monk does actively have some non stacking stat items because the other abilities on the items are worth it (+6 con belt of greater false life vs. shintao cord necklace that has +6 con and +15 concentration).

ArichValtrahn
05-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Just a thought...

This is a great idea. Or maybe a pop up (similar to the one you get when you successfully bypass a requirement with UMD) that indicates you are not receiving a bonus from something (Specified) when you equip the item.

Devonian
05-28-2010, 03:06 PM
All good, and its just the kind of thing that will help new players, I mean lets face it learning D&D of any edition is pretty hard when you ave 4 friends and a hard back, DDO is trying to get folk to pick it up on nothing.