PDA

View Full Version : Past Life: Race

Dexol
05-27-2010, 01:35 AM
We have them for classes why not races.

Random ideas: all stack * 3 as per usual.

Past Life: Human - +1 skill point / level
Past Life: WF - +1 DR/Adamantine
Past Life: Halfling - +2 Sneak Attack
Past Life: Dwarf - +1 HP / Level
Past Life: Elf - +5 SP / Level
Past Life: Drow - +2 Spell Resistance

Maybe counts towards a 2nd completionist style feat

Daggaz
05-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Fun and good idea, tho your human past life feat is waaaay overpowered.

FluffyCalico
05-27-2010, 01:41 AM
we Have Them For Classes Why Not Races.

Random Ideas: All Stack * 3 As Per Usual.

Past Life: Human - +1 Skill Point / Level
Past Life: Wf - +1 Dr/adamantine
Past Life: Dwarf - +1 Hp / Level
Past Life: Elf - +5 Sp / Level

No

Bacab
05-27-2010, 01:41 AM

Past Life: Human - +Virality
Past Life: WF - -10% Healing Amp
Past Life: Halfling - -2feet in height
Past Life: Dwarf - +Alcoholism
Past Life: Elf - +3 Poetry
Past Life: Drow - -2HP /Level

Fixed...

Gave it the Turbine Nerf Stick right off the bat. We can improve on these fixes after enough people complain.

Daggaz
05-27-2010, 01:51 AM
no

Y?

Halock
05-27-2010, 02:18 AM

Nice idea, but some of these suggestions are quite OP, especially if you stacked em up 3 times, but i guess thats the point, anyways, nice idea :)

Jay203
05-27-2010, 02:22 AM

WAY overpowered
with 3 human past life, it's essentially giving someone +6 int for purpose of skill points at lvl up

Cetus
05-27-2010, 02:29 AM

Past Life: Human - +1 to any chosen skill
Past Life: WF - +1 DR/- stacks with all existing bonuses
Past Life: Dwarf - +2 HP
Past Life: Elf - +5 SP
Past Life: Drow - +1 save versus enchantments

I think that would be much more reasonable and is a GREAT idea to implement a racial bonus, since your past LIFE is a combination of class and race, not just class. Not sure why I would remember my class abilities but not my racial abilities.

PowerOfRaistlin
05-27-2010, 03:03 AM
i was just thinking about this myself the other day. you have to be very careful when considering this sort of thing tbh. the question is do you experience more in life based on what race/color you are or by what your profession in life is? did i truly see the world that differently when i was a wf sorc vs a drow sorc? or was it pretty much the same both times?

now as far as possible past life race bonuses go,
human: skill focus instead
dwarf: proficiency in one of the racial weapons
wf: additive dr with the drawback of reducing incoming heals ie +1 dr, -5% healing

Artos_Fabril
05-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Not sure why I would remember my class abilities but not my racial abilities.
Because your class abilities are learned, whereas your racial abilities are inherent and depend on characteristics of that body?

Cetus
05-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Well then all of my racial enhancements should be open at level 1 in terms of action points right?

The fact that theres a minimum level and # of ap spent pre requisite for certain racial abilities implies a maturation phase- hence learning :)

Racial passives would be fantastic though, add another layer to justify the grueling xp grind to try and further improve your character.

Artos_Fabril
05-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Well then all of my racial enhancements should be open at level 1 in terms of action points right?

The fact that theres a minimum level and # of ap spent pre requisite for certain racial abilities implies a maturation phase- hence learning :)
Why would what you "learn" about being a halfling apply when you're a warforged? What about warforged DR is applicable to an elf's body? Is a drow's spell resistance something a human could apply?

It's more plausible that these are abilities that develop over time, where level is used to model the passage of time rather than the acquisition of knowledge, as well as for balance reasons.

stainer
05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Past Life: Halfling - Runs like a dork

Fixed some more.

Aesop
05-27-2010, 03:41 PM
It's not a bad idea.

some tinkering in there and you'd have something decent I think
Aesop

testing1234
05-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Why would what you "learn" about being a halfling apply when you're a warforged? What about warforged DR is applicable to an elf's body? Is a drow's spell resistance something a human could apply?

It's more plausible that these are abilities that develop over time, where level is used to model the passage of time rather than the acquisition of knowledge, as well as for balance reasons.

think this is a good idea, the OP post sounds slightly overpowerd when stacked x3 and sevral races (ofcourse this represent a insane amount of work so possible they should be more overpowerd)
so i think to lessen its max potential, if you TR dwarf into dwarf you gain first dwarf past life feat TR into dwarf again and you gain either same bonus or a new one but TR into other race and you dont have dwarf past life anymore.

this would let people keep their favorit race no matter if its the best for that particular build simply becuse you have its past life feats x3 or last type of upgrade on past life feat.

TheJusticar
05-27-2010, 09:12 PM

Nope. Extremely unbalanced as written.

I'd be more open to have past life enhancements, that, for instance, you can wear a WF-only ring w/o UMD check even tho you are a hafling.

Bloodline Memory (cost 2AP): You memories and visions from a past life realize. You can use all equipment and gear with Race Required: X w/o UMD checks.

Racial Memories (cost 4AP): With your past life bloodline realized you begin to embrace your former self. You open up the first tier of racial enhancements of your last life.

Racial Embrace (cost 6AP): You now feel ready and encouraged to embrace you past life race. You unlock all the racial enhancements from your past life.

Hokiewa
05-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Nope. As an aside, it's funny how you pigeonhole Drow into the waste of a racial benefit it already is.

Aesop
05-28-2010, 05:39 AM

Past Life: Human - 5% Healing Amp
Past Life: WF - 5% Fortification
Past Life: Halfling - +2 Sneak Attack Damage
Past Life: Dwarf - +10HP
Past Life: Elf - +2 Damage with Bows
Past Life: Drow - +1 Damage with Shortswords and Rapiers

maybe a little something more like this

Aesop

Artos_Fabril
05-28-2010, 06:36 AM
I've been wondering, are people suggesting you get both a class and racial past life for every life, or would you have to choose between them? That makes kind of a big difference on the balance side. If you have to choose, your theoretical max is the same, but it takes 51 TRs to get there instead of 33, and 17 TRs to be a "double completionist" or whatever you want to call it rather than adding a benefit for the small sacrifice of taking all 6 races within your 11 class past lives.

I'd like to see what Lithic has to say about this, as I don't know of anyone with more TRs at this time.

Cylinwolf
05-28-2010, 06:58 AM
maybe a little something more like this

Aesop

Human, Halfling, and Dwarf would still dominate. I would, though, LOVE to see someone who TR'd 3x as a human paladin go human monk with Jidz'teka.

1.05*1.05*1.05*1.05*1.05*1.05*1.3*1.3*1.25 = 283% healing amp without DT/Shroud equip.

Halock
05-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Human, Halfling, and Dwarf would still dominate. I would, though, LOVE to see someone who TR'd 3x as a human paladin go human monk with Jidz'teka.

1.05*1.05*1.05*1.05*1.05*1.05*1.3*1.3*1.25 = 283% healing amp without DT/Shroud equip.

If that person went WF he'd cross 100% healing without any items ;)

Lithic
06-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I'd like to see what Lithic has to say about this, as I don't know of anyone with more TRs at this time.

I think its a terrible idea because I absolutely refuse to play a halfling :D

Tried to make one once, deleted it before I got to euphonia's tavern. Plus I hate dwarves (old PnP bias), got sick of elves/drow, and just can't imagine Star as anything other than a human with rogue skills.

Then again, if it came in, I'd probably start grinding it heh.

Drudenfusz
06-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I also would like past lifes for the races, but it should be balanced (so not things that would stack with things from the classes, like the Halfling Rogue would get to much sneak stuff, or a Dwarf Barbarian would get to much HP)...

So my suggestion would be to lower the UMDs by 5 per past life for items of that race (stacks 3 times). And with the feats you can take after that the UMD should go fully away and it should do something more for each race.

kaelis
06-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Nope. Extremely unbalanced as written.

I'd be more open to have past life enhancements, that, for instance, you can wear a WF-only ring w/o UMD check even tho you are a hafling.

Bloodline Memory (cost 2AP): You memories and visions from a past life realize. You can use all equipment and gear with Race Required: X w/o UMD checks.

Racial Memories (cost 4AP): With your past life bloodline realized you begin to embrace your former self. You open up the first tier of racial enhancements of your last life.

Racial Embrace (cost 6AP): You now feel ready and encouraged to embrace you past life race. You unlock all the racial enhancements from your past life.

12 AP just to get 2 sets of racial enhancements? VERY steep. even 6AP just for original ones are steep IMO,. 1,2,3 would be a more realistic progression.

Wizzly_Bear
06-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I like the idea and would have wanted it myself. I think something more along the lines of what Aesop said would be better, though I'd adjust it a bit.

Past Life: Human - 3% Healing Amp
Past Life: WF - +5 HP
Past Life: Halfling - +1 Sneak Attack Damage
Past Life: Dwarf - +1 saves versus spells
Past Life: Elf - +1 Damage with Bows
Past Life: Drow - +1 Damage with Shortswords and Rapiers

Given that these would be acquired at the same time as the class benefits, and stack, I think they should be adjusted down just a bit to the numbers above. And while I like the flavor of the wf fort, I don't see how it would be of real benefit, even to a wf. 3x5% wont bring you to a multiple of 25 and so will either put you well over 100% or shy of it, either way being mostly a waste.

QuantumFX
06-03-2010, 08:29 PM
No thanks. The current class past life feats/completionist is already a stupid idea.