PDA

View Full Version : Question about tempest ranger dual-class.

Tvrepairman
05-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Hello, everybody! Was wondering if it would be wise as a tempest ranger to take 2 levels of fighter for the extra feats, since the ranger capstone is next to useless for me and I imagine a slight bonus to [insert enemy type here] is easily off-set by a couple carefully chosen extra feats.

Thank you for any advice, and have a nice day/night :)

Edit: Oooh, extra little side question! Would it be better to specialize in scimitars or long swords (elf enhancements)?

Eladiun
05-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Hello, everybody! Was wondering if it would be wise as a tempest ranger to take 2 levels of fighter for the extra feats, since the ranger capstone is next to useless for me and I imagine a slight bonus to [insert enemy type here] is easily off-set by a couple carefully chosen extra feats.

Thank you for any advice, and have a nice day/night :)

Edit: Oooh, extra little side question! Would it be better to specialize in scimitars or long swords (elf enhancements)?

I did it but I would rather have gone 1 monk/1 fighter but I wasn't thinking far enough ahead when I chose alignment. Right now the capstone isn't great for a Tempest You loose a FE but I think overall going pure on a Tempest isn't worth it right now.

Tvrepairman
05-26-2010, 11:27 PM
What exactly would I get from 1 level in monk?

QuantumFX
05-26-2010, 11:33 PM

It depends. Do you need the feats? If you don’t then you may want to take a look at splashing other classes.

1 Rogue will net you rogue skills (Which is great to have.); 1d6+3 extra sneak attack damage (for 1 AP); but does cost you 1 BaB and 2 hit points. A second level of rogue doesn't give you anything other than a few extra skill points.

1 Barbarian will net you the Barbarian bonus to running speed (Nice to have on a melee especially when you can hit ranger sprint boost too.) The ability to buff your power attack stance by 1 (For 1 AP) and access to Barbarian Toughness I. A second level of barb will get you access to a +1 CON enhancement. You do not trade off on BaB for this one.

1 Monk will net you a bonus feat (and let's face it: one of your feats is going to be Power attack or Toughness) The ability to get a stupid high AC while dual wielding and some nice buffs to your saves. (Monks have fast progression in all saves so while the other classes will give you a +2/+0/+0 monk will give a +2/+2/+2) All it will cost you is some BaB. A second level of monk will net you another feat, access to a +1 WIS enhancement; 1 tier of either way of the clever monkey or Patient Tortoise;

2 Paladin (Because only an idiot would splash a single level of paladin) will net you Divine Grace; Paladin Toughness I and the ability to use lesser restore and remove curse wands. IMHO it's not worth the trouble. You need to either waste build points on CHA and/or slot a CHA item.

1 Fighter gets you 1 Feat; Fighter Toughness I and possibly a DC boost to a combat feat. 2 Fighter gives you a 2nd feat and Fighter STR I enhancement.

So long as the monk class (In U5) isn’t brought into the equation: Scimitars. They simply do more damage when fortification isn’t brought into the equation. You could also go with rapiers. They have the exact same damage profile as scimitars except for damage type. (Scimitar = Slashing; Rapier = Piercing) Practically everything that has DR\Slashing is immune to critical hits anyway. Also the rapier/longsword guy will have access to damage/to hit bonuses to every special effect weapon except weighted.