PDA

View Full Version : Head Swivel?

Ganolyn
05-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Just once I'd like a game besides a flight simulator that lets you swivel your head instead of having your whole body move around like your head is bolted to it. It would be nice to run past a corridor or room and be able to take a quick look without having to stop and look all the time. It probably should be limited to 180 degrees though and would need a toggle to recenter your view. Pan left, pan right, center, no biggie I'd hope?

IronClan
05-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Just once I'd like a game besides a flight simulator that lets you swivel your head instead of having your whole body move around like your head is bolted to it. It would be nice to run past a corridor or room and be able to take a quick look without having to stop and look all the time. It probably should be limited to 180 degrees though and would need a toggle to recenter your view. Pan left, pan right, center, no biggie I'd hope?

it's called mouselook, and before you say i tried that and I can't look to the right and move straight ahead at the same time, you need to use the strafe buttons in place of your default "turn left" and "turn right" keyboard keys... you never use the keyboard to turn you turn entirely with the mouse and use the strafe keys to move left/right while doing anything... Including being able to look at a target or stationary object while you run complete circles around it (called circle strafing logically enough)....

Once you're used to this you will wonder how you ever used a keyboard key to turn with... I literally have NO key on my setup to turn left and right... slowly panning at the keyboard rate makes me feel like I'm controlling a slow 1950's era robot. I see people turning with the KB every day (it's so slow and robotic you can always spot it... looks like someone turning a tank turret) and think "man that's too bad" the game is so much more immersive when you can "flinch" turn instinctively just like you can turn your head in RL.

Newtons_Apple
05-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Fail.

it's called mouselook, and before you say i tried that and I can't look to the right and move straight ahead at the same time, you need to use the strafe buttons in place of your default "turn left" and "turn right" keyboard keys... you never use the keyboard to turn you turn entirely with the mouse and use the strafe keys to move left/right while doing anything... Including being able to look at a target or stationary object while you run complete circles around it (called circle strafing logically enough)....

Once you're used to this you will wonder how you ever used a keyboard key to turn with... I literally have NO key on my setup to turn left and right... slowly panning at the keyboard rate makes me feel like I'm controlling a slow 1950's era robot. I see people turning with the KB every day (it's so slow and robotic you can always spot it... looks like someone turning a tank turret) and think "man that's too bad" the game is so much more immersive when you can "flinch" turn instinctively just like you can turn your head in RL.

Succeed.

Ganolyn
05-28-2010, 05:10 PM

Thank you for the advice, but I route all movement and directional control through a game controller with two joysticks that allow me to do just what you say without the hassle of mouselook. I circle strafe all the time. That is not what I am talking about.

Visty
05-28-2010, 05:12 PM
hold middle mouse button down

now you can look in 360° around you while keeping your running direction

Ganolyn
05-28-2010, 05:26 PM
hold middle mouse button down

now you can look in 360° around you while keeping your running direction

Yes I know, I simply want a keyboard option as most mouse functions can't be mapped. Simple ergonomics.

IronClan
05-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Thank you for the advice, but I route all movement and directional control through a game controller with two joysticks that allow me to do just what you say without the hassle of mouselook. I circle strafe all the time. That is not what I am talking about.

that's fine analog stick movements will be better than keyboard but you'll still be behind a mouse for instant 180* turns and other intuitive natural movements.

As someone who's played most major combat flight sims since Falcon I know exactly what you are talking about I also know the correct terminology for it (POV hat, or Point of view hat) and mouselook + FPS style movement setup is the only way to achieve something like it... looking at something at 2:00 o' clock while moving in a totally different direction... Strafe allows this as you can float between strafe and forward to get more organic diagonal movement.

Oh well people have their preferred control method and most of them would sooner die than consider parting with it. But if you want simply the most intuitive instinctual and realistic way to simulate moving around like a real person does then a typical FPS control scheme is the way to go, and you'll have pretty much the same thing as a POV hat on a flight stick gives you... independent 360* movement while looking right, left, up or down...

Autolycus
05-28-2010, 07:18 PM

I believe what you want is in the Gothic RPGs. I use the keyboard for movement and I remember running straight ahead while looking back over my shoulder to see what was chasing me in Gothic I or II. It been quite a while since I played them and unfortunately, I can't remember which key I used for that.