PDA

View Full Version : Boycott the U5 Carnival Pack?

Diib
05-26-2010, 06:40 AM
OK, so lots and lots of forum dwellers agree that more high end content that yields experience is badly needed (read:NOT Epic). I agree. There is also the idea that more low level packs sell because more people have only low level characters.

Now as a customer the best way to get your voices heard is to use your buying power to influence decisions.

But I'm torn. On one hand, I want to buy the new pack to support Turbine in general, and hope that more experience giving high level content is on the horizon.

On the other hand, I could see perhaps boycotting buying this one expansion pack as a way to let the suits know we badly want them to work on other types of content.

I was discussing this in my guild before the servers went down. Do you think it would be effective to boycott this expansion as a way to "encourage" some more high level content? Or should we just continue to support Turbine and hope more high level content is forthcoming?

~ Diib

fatherpirate
05-26-2010, 06:46 AM
so, if I get you right..

most players only have lower lvl toons...but you want priority on high lvl content ?

In translation : the wants of the few out weigh the wants of the many.

Sorry, gotta give that a no.

Thorzian
05-26-2010, 06:46 AM
subscribe ye cheap ass then you'll be supporting the game and not have to worry about what pack to buy all at once

Burradin
05-26-2010, 06:52 AM
so, if I get you right..

most players only have lower lvl toons...but you want priority on high lvl content ?

In translation : the wants of the few out weigh the wants of the many.

Sorry, gotta give that a no.

Epic fail on understanding what he was saying and the issue he is addressing. As more people level, they will understanding what he is saying.

fatherpirate
05-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Epic fail on understanding what he was saying and the issue he is addressing. As more people level, they will understanding what he is saying.

perfect understanding

he want DDO to become wow.

make only high lvl content to force players to lvl fast..to get to it.
his call, of course....not to my personal tastes.

let me pose this question...

how many lvls of players can enjoy an epic dungeon ? one
a 20th lvl.

how many lvls of players can enjoy a mid level dungeon ? many
everything from a few lvls too low (with help) to many levels high...set on hard or elete.

epic dungeons serve ONLY lvl 20s

UltraMonk2
05-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Whilst I do have a minor concern about higher level content, I am very happy with the way Turbine has been going with their more frequent updates to the game.

Since it went F2P we have had by update:

Update 0 - Favored Soul, Amrath (With 6 Quests and 1 Raid), Prestige Enhancement Item Sets

Update 1 - The Path of Inspiration Quests (5 of them), Epic Level Quests with Epic Items

Update 2 - The Dreaming Dark Quests (5 Quests)

Update 3 - 4 Quests that are F2P, Vault of Night Epic with items, The Winter Festival and Traveler's Scavenger Hunt.

Update 4 - Sentinels of Stormreach (5 Quests with some of them Epic), New Epic Items.

And now with Update 5 so far we seem to be getting:

* New Guild system with Guild Airships.
* New Quests
* Shintao Monk, Ninja Spy & Radiant Servant Prestige Lines
* Other cool stuff

I mention all of that because until the success of DDO going F2P was well and truly established they probably did not plan for most of that. We know back (before xmas?) they did a test on the new Guild Member Rank system (which quite didn't work out).

So its only probably now we will really start seeing the big stuff they initially started development on when F2P was a winner. Things like Half-Orc.

I think things have only just begun, so I am going to be fully supporting their new Adventure Pack. As far as I am concerned things are way way better now than they were 12 months ago.

garlor
05-26-2010, 07:06 AM
perfect understanding

a 20th lvl.

everything from a few lvls too low (with help) to many levels high...set on hard or elete.

from OP -> OK, so lots and lots of forum dwellers agree that more high end content that yields experience is badly needed (read:NOT Epic).

some tards are reported as not being able to read the word NOT

so let me spell it for you
N
O
T

e
p
i
c

sirgog
05-26-2010, 07:06 AM
perfect understanding

a 20th lvl.

Rethink that a little.

Who can enjoy an Epic dungeon - level 20s only, as you state (hopefully Turbine will consider letting 18+ TR's in sometime too, but that's another issue). About 20% of the toons on at any time are 20th, maybe slightly less.

Who can enjoy a level 9 dungeon? Probably level 7 to 13s. 14+ and you are just stomping it, 6 or below and you will probably get frustrated unless the dungeon is too easy for its level. About 20% of the toons on at any one time are 7-13, maybe slightly more.

It's already possible in DDO to level two different toons without repeating a dungeon between them - so everyone misses content as they level.

Kadran
05-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Ibtl

Devonian
05-26-2010, 07:10 AM
You know, I have to agree, I mean it sounds a fun way to spend an afternoon and gain some exp, but 5th? You don't really start-hitting slog and need more options till 8th at least.

Isolani
05-26-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't think most people are asking for more epics, they're asking for more xp quests. Making more low level xp quests is pointless, there's so many you outlevel them as it is, why add more for now? Look at L15 for instance, there's only THREE L15 quests in DDO. There's already dozens of quests to do in the L4-6 range and they are adding more? You outlevel most of the low level quests without even repeating many of them, while at L14+ you're grinding the same few quests until they are worth nothing. So yeah, the mid to upper levels could definitely use some more xp quests, and they should have an epic setting for the people that want it.

fatherpirate
05-26-2010, 07:19 AM
ok, what I don't want to see is this........all new content high lvl 18+
that is what wow has, and it has turned the game into a new player unfriendly, elete game.
1/4 of the guilds there require any player applying for thier guild to be max lvl WITH approved epic gear.
Gold farming sites advertise leveling services so you can start at max lvl and skip all the 'trash levels'

For DDO I would be happy that if for every 'high level' adventure pack added, they would also add,
a mid level and a low lvl.

Some of us LIKE playing the lower and mid content, its fun.

AZgreentea
05-26-2010, 07:22 AM
If the content is worth my money, then I will buy it. If its not, then I wont.

If Turbine dosent fill in enough content to keep me entertained, then I will play less frequently and spend less money. Problem solved, boycott pointless and silly.

Its about as intelligent as the idea of a gas boycott. Everyone just buys more gas the day before and after, so it really has no effect and dosent demonstrate anything more than mass sheepitude. To use an above example, yes, there are only 3 lvl 15 quests. There are also 7 lvl 13 quests you can run on elite, 9 lv 14 quests you can run on hard, and 5 lvl 16 quests you can run on casual. That is totally ignoring doing quests outside of your level range, of course.

Lorz
05-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Because we All know that the forums represent the server populations.....not

Obviously Turbine feels it needs more low level content. Obviously some here feel otherwise....

But I doubt the few that are on the forums represent silent masses.

Just something to keep in mind....is that our view is not the same as Turbines.

fatherpirate
05-26-2010, 07:28 AM
If the content is worth my money, then I will buy it. If its not, then I wont.

If Turbine dosent fill in enough content to keep me entertained, then I will play less frequently and spend less money. Problem solved, boycott pointless and silly.

Its about as intelligent as the idea of a gas boycott. Everyone just buys more gas the day before and after, so it really has no effect and dosent demonstrate anything more than mass sheepitude. To use an above example, yes, there are only 3 lvl 15 quests. There are also 7 lvl 13 quests you can run on elite, 9 lv 14 quests you can run on hard, and 5 lvl 16 quests you can run on casual. That is totally ignoring doing quests outside of your level range, of course.

EXACTLY correct, if it sells...it sells...
put in all lvls of content, see what sells best, make more of that.

Scalion
05-26-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm VIP and not gonna comment on boycotting, but as a recently returned player who's leveling up again rather than playing my old higher level characters...

I'm finding PLENTY to do at levels 1-10. My current fighter is level 8+8 ranks over and I have been trying to complete all quests on elite before I get too much higher than they are. I still have like three or four level 4 quests to complete on elite before I hit level 9. Keep in mind, my character is already technically beyond level 9 and only 2 ranks away from being able to level to 10.

I haven't even touched three barrel cove yet. There's tons of stuff below level 10... I don't even think a TR between 1 and 10 would have to grind the same quest multiple times if they didn't want to.

I definately would like to see more quests toward the higher levels.