PDA

View Full Version : what do you do about AC

nerdychaz
05-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Okay, all you high level rogues out there, I need your help. What do you do in game when it comes to AC? Should I even be concerned about AC? or should I concentrate on my playstyle. So, what will I do when I come across some baddies that have a BAB higher than my armor class? Should I stay hidden? Just wondering.

I am a level 11 halfling rogue who wants to pure class for the capstone in the next update (+2 to dex makes it more appealing).

This is some advice I received earlier, but from my understanding i will just get stomped.

AC as a pure rogue will be hard to come by, as bracers max out at 8, and you won't be able to add WIS into the mix, or be able to use stances to increase it. If you grind out a LOT of gear (icy raiments, chat ring/DT robes), you will be able to get some decent AC, but not stellar.

You could get

10 base
12 DEX (34 dex, easy to get on a rog)
8 armor bracers
4 dodge (icy)
1 alchemical on icy
4 insight on greensteel
3 dodge (chat ring or DT robe)
4 natural (DT robe)
5 protection (cloak, ring, or min II item)
4 shield wand (10 min)

Thanks for your help guys!

CrosisBlackwing
05-25-2010, 10:04 PM
From what I know of the game, AC is going to be practically useless unless you can hit the higher numbers 45ish for Gianthold, 55ish for Vale, 65ish for Amrath.

You would be best off UMDing up some displacement Scrolls.

nerdychaz
05-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I tried the displacement scrolls, they last only 30 seconds, ugh. But thank you for the idea on using other ways to reduce damage.

I think I really just need to stay away from aggro to get the job done right.

QuantumFX
05-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Personally, I don't worry about AC. The guy with the full BaB should be worrying about getting hit, not me. If something is taking time out of it’s day to target me specifically then I’m doing something wrong.

The most important defense a rogue has is managing his aggro. Some days this means letting the guy with the full BaB get in the first swing. Other days it means keeping your Subtle Backstabber enhancement in the “on” position.

When you get dual Radiance II weapons you can ignore the above on blindable trash mobs. Blindness means I can do sneak attack damage and they have both a -4 to hit and a 50% miss chance.

nerdychaz
05-25-2010, 10:19 PM
*scribbles notes furiously* scratch, scratch, scratch

Quantum, ty, ty, ty. +1 rep,

Lehrman
05-25-2010, 11:01 PM
There are two ways to go about it. Max AC TWF finesse build with a Monk splash OR Max DPS TWF str build. Finesse uses rapiers and DPS uses Kops. If you have a Max Strength DPS rogue, then AC is not really all that important.

Finesse AC with monk splash:
10 Base
14 Dex (38 dex--all lvling points are in dex and player is halfling w/enhancements)
06 Wisdom (22 wisdom. 14 base, +2tome, +6 item)
01 Race
01 Monk (I think u get 1 for 1 lvl of monk, I forget)
08 Armor Bracers
09 Rainment (4dodge, 4prot, 1 lchemical ritual)
03 Chattering Ring
04 Shroud Insight
04 Shield wand/clickie
03 Barkskin Potion
05 Combat Expertise
----------
06 Improved Uncanny dodge
----------
74 Burst AC

02 Full bark (Pastlife:ranger or a fellow party member)
05 Paladin Aura
04 Inspired Heroics
02 Recitation (Wands are available if you have a high UMD)
----------
06 Improved Uncanny dodge
----------
87 Burst AC

If using a radience rapier, then your AC is effectively four points higher versus the blinded enemy--not that it will live very long.

Timjc86
05-26-2010, 01:49 AM
I ignore AC entirely after about level 6.

You can run into some rough patches until you get a radiance weapon - just let somebody else grab aggro first (ideally the fighter/pally/barb, but the caster/healer can work too in a pinch. :cool:)

nerdychaz
05-26-2010, 04:31 AM
Thank you everybody for the great info! +1 rep all around!

Cap_Man
05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I have an AC in the low 30's but with the right buffs and songs I can get it up into the 50's! ….. for all of 3 seconds :rolleyes:. lol So yeah, I pretty much ignore the AC factor even though I am mainly a Dex build.

Blur, Displacement, Stone Skin, party members, summoned dense earth elementals, diplo, tumble and good aggro management is my armor. An invisibility clickie or two never hurt either. ;)

Eladiun
05-26-2010, 11:55 AM
You know what I don't do is cross post with slightly different titles.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=250765

nerdychaz
05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Eladiun,

I got decent information there, but I thought I might go to the rogues forum and see what the pro rogues had to say. I don't see why it would be so horrible to ask two different groups to get varying opinions. Because of both posts I have had some great responses and quite a few good PMs that supplied me with great information. Do you feel I have wronged you by posting in the Rogues forum and in General forums? Do you feel the need to "tattle" on me?

Also, you didn't read very carefully, The first post was asking the general public if there is a point where AC is useless, because I have heard there comes a point where you either have it or you don't. The second post was asking the pro rogues what they do for AC in the Rogue forums. You only need to read the "slightly different titles" to see if there is a difference. You know what? If you look really hard you will notice the QUOTE in the first post of this thread from the other thread that you supplied the link to.

There is no need to go about calling people out for asking 2 questions that are similar. I had two very different questions about the same topic: Armor Class. So I asked two different groups specifically for different reasons.

Thank you for acting like a forum moderator, but I must remind you, that you are not.

Some people come here to ask questions and learn. Other people come here to flame and troll. Thank you for convincing me to turn my rep off.

/signed

Noctus
05-26-2010, 07:46 PM
From what I know of the game, AC is going to be practically useless unless you can hit the higher numbers 45ish for Gianthold, 55ish for Vale, 65ish for Amrath.

Exactly this.

Tactics for a rogue who doesnt reach these thresholds (like 99% of them, so zero shame in it):
* Go in 2nd behind a beefy tank.
* Kill it quickly.
* Max out the thread reduction enhancements.
* Push your HP as high as possible.
* Get some DR items.

nerdychaz
05-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Noctus! TYVM! +1 Rep! You are so awesome!

I have been pointed towards some great guides that have not only encouraged me to respec my enhancements, but have shown me how to play best to reduce aggro and maximize damage!

So many of you have been helpful!

Dr.Schnaggels
05-27-2010, 05:59 AM
for the Monk-AC-Bonus you have to be centered, right?
So there would be no Ac-Bonus if fighting with rapier...or am I wrong?

Temko
05-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Thank you for convincing me to turn my rep off.

/signed

welcome to the group. Rep thing bad. gray cube good. repeat. :p

Noctus
05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
for the Monk-AC-Bonus you have to be centered, right?
So there would be no Ac-Bonus if fighting with rapier...or am I wrong?

Centered only for monk-stuff. Splashed dont do monk-stuff, most just take it for the 2 bonus feats, great saves, and evasion.
And some also make us of the WIS-mod-to-AC option.

Nothing of that requires being centered.