PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Archer questions

ryotsurugi
05-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm new to DDO but have spent some time playing around with the different classes and so far found ranger to be the most fun for me and have taken an interest in the Arcane Archer line of the class.

First question I have is somewhat simple: Is Arcane Archer an Elf only enhancement or ranger linked? Main reason for this question is due to seeing Elf: Arcane Archer I and Ranger: Arcane Archer I in the enhancement list with I had it show all.

I don't really understand the difference between composite and normal long/short bows. The items themselves mention that composites have a longer range but does it really make that much of a difference?

A lot of the posts tend to leave me a little confused as to what's what for the most part. As for my ranger that I'm working on I'm trying to follow tihocan's version of the Arcane Archer instead of using Turbine's premade build. Luckily I have some past experience with the PnP version of D&D but all that means so far is that I understand the workings of the character sheet and understand all the #d# stuff.

I shall end this post with the note that even though I'm trying to be an Arcane Archer I understand that even with the feat Point Blank Shot it's still better to switch off to melee weapons and finish the incoming mob that way instead of still trying to shoot it or kite it off.

grodon9999
05-24-2010, 03:44 PM
First question I have is somewhat simple: Is Arcane Archer an Elf only enhancement or ranger linked? Main reason for this question is due to seeing Elf: Arcane Archer I and Ranger: Arcane Archer I in the enhancement list with I had it show all.

It's ranger and Elf PRE. Rangers regardless of race can take them. Elfs can take the PRE regardless of class as long as they have SP

I don't really understand the difference between composite and normal long/short bows. The items themselves mention that composites have a longer range but does it really make that much of a difference?

No difference in DDO

Glockduck
05-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Longbow = 1-8 base damage
Shortbow = 1-6 base damage

There are a few exceptions to that rule. (named loot items)

(AA are given twf/itwf/gtwf free for a reason. when your mob your plinking with your bow, comes into range, dont back up and kite it all over. Switch to melee weapons and beat it down. Your fellow Melee dps party members will love you, for not making them chase your mobs down to kill it.)

Silvershaper
05-24-2010, 04:44 PM
I shall end this post with the note that even though I'm trying to be an Arcane Archer I understand that even with the feat Point Blank Shot it's still better to switch off to melee weapons and finish the incoming mob that way instead of still trying to shoot it or kite it off.

(AA are given twf/itwf/gtwf free for a reason. when your mob your plinking with your bow, comes into range, dont back up and kite it all over. Switch to melee weapons and beat it down. Your fellow Melee dps party members will love you, for not making them chase your mobs down to kill it.)

Shouldn't need to comment...

Glockduck
05-24-2010, 05:00 PM
You are correct. I didnt need to post that.

too many have come before you. As well as I rolled a new character this weekend. I cant count how many rangers I grouped with, couldnt figure that statement out.

I am sorry.