PDA

View Full Version : Spell Selection

gurslak
05-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Hi All,

Well first thing first I must say I'm loving this game and wish I'd made the switch earlier! I've played around a bit on a fighter and a cleric, but have settled on a Halfling Sorcerer, prob not the most optimised choice but he's cool and great fun to play.
Now I've got him up to Lvl 3 and am not sure which spell to take next; currently I have Niacs Cold Ray, Summon Monster 1 & Burning Hands. All three spells have served my well in dealing damage and acting as a bit of a tank/just a body to get in the way, these three spells have seen me solo through Korthos Island on normal and part of the docks on normal.

My thoughts on the next spell is either Magic Missile or Hypnotism.

Magic Missile obviously helps knock off more health and finish those who survive the cold ray, it'll also help deal with Kobold shaman who always pass their tests & Oozes which aren't harmed by the other spells.
Hypnotism though should mean I'll be facing less enemies at once and may be able to avoid some altogether.

I'll be playing solo the vast majority of the time too and if it helps, I plan to get Scorching Ray as the first second level spell I get.

Any and all suggestions would be highly appreciated,

G.

DoctorWhofan
05-24-2010, 03:05 AM
shield or nightshield. Best protection vs. Magic Missle which low level mobs love to spam.

Brennie
05-24-2010, 04:06 AM
I'd say Charm Person.

As you reach the harbor, 99.9% of your enemies will be kobolds. Kobolds, especially non shaman kobolds, are susceptible to charm person, as are bugbears and hobgoblins and troglodytes (All of which can be found around the harbor area/cerulean hills as well).

You versus 3 enemies becomes you and your kobold ally againt 2 enemies, an even match (plus your dog, of course!) Just make *sure* you have the Decharm (uncharm? break Charm? Dismiss charm?) ability on your hotbar (shoudl be under feats tab of character sheet). Doing so will let you release a charmed enemy once everything else is dead, so that your fighters, or you, can finish it off.

Also note, that the spells you have chosen, while certainly good picks for low level, will eventually be swapped out for spells with more longetivity (Nightsheild and Jump for sure, Hypno fits nicely in there for a few levels, and sometimes even magic missle for when a sorceror has trouble against enemies saving or being immune to certian elements). Summon Monster 1 will likely be the first spell to go, though distraction dog certainly is a useful spell nowadays!

You *WILL* want nighsheild eventually, but for leveling up (And if you don't mind changing spells a lot as you level up, once every 3 days ^_^) charm is a great low level spell.

tihocan
05-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Hypnotism is nice :)
But it's true you want Nightshield as well.
It's probably time you drop Summon Monster I since it'll probably be underpowered in L4+ dungeons. Consider also you won't really be using Burning Hands anymore once you get Scorching Ray. Niac will also become obsolete though it can still be fun for a bit with low saves targets.
Magic Missile is quite useful in particular because it's great to target a specific monster and hit it without hitting anyone else. Always handy to manage aggro.

Matuse
05-24-2010, 12:31 PM
shield or nightshield. Best protection vs. Magic Missle which monsters at all levels love to spam.

Fixed.

gwlech
05-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi All,

Well first thing first I must say I'm loving this game and wish I'd made the switch earlier! I've played around a bit on a fighter and a cleric, but have settled on a Halfling Sorcerer, prob not the most optimised choice but he's cool and great fun to play.
Now I've got him up to Lvl 3 and am not sure which spell to take next; currently I have Niacs Cold Ray, Summon Monster 1 & Burning Hands. All three spells have served my well in dealing damage and acting as a bit of a tank/just a body to get in the way, these three spells have seen me solo through Korthos Island on normal and part of the docks on normal.

My thoughts on the next spell is either Magic Missile or Hypnotism.

Magic Missile obviously helps knock off more health and finish those who survive the cold ray, it'll also help deal with Kobold shaman who always pass their tests & Oozes which aren't harmed by the other spells.
Hypnotism though should mean I'll be facing less enemies at once and may be able to avoid some altogether.

I'll be playing solo the vast majority of the time too and if it helps, I plan to get Scorching Ray as the first second level spell I get.

Any and all suggestions would be highly appreciated,

G.

I would say, roll a wizard. None of the 3 spells you listed having are at all viable mid to late game. Switching out spells is a time-consuming and expensive process. A wizard will allow you to have all arcane spells and swap them out at will. This will help to prevent you from making a totally broken caster. Save sorcerer for when you are familiar with what spells work, you won't regret it. Just my 2 coppers.

gurslak
05-25-2010, 02:31 AM
How viable are 1st level spells mid - late levels anyway, not a gret deal if it's anything like the PnP version (exceptions are of course shield etc). The three spells I've already taken are there for soloing purposes and have served me well so far, later on they may not be much use, but neither will many of the 1st level spells.

Or is this where the game really differs from PnP?

Quick Edit: Have I really gimped my character? As I said before the spelss I've chosen are for solo-ability and from level two spells onward I'll be looking at more offensive spells with a bit of CC mixed in.

tihocan
05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
How viable are 1st level spells mid - late levels anyway, not a gret deal if it's anything like the PnP version (exceptions are of course shield etc). The three spells I've already taken are there for soloing purposes and have served me well so far, later on they may not be much use, but neither will many of the 1st level spells.

Or is this where the game really differs from PnP?

Quick Edit: Have I really gimped my character? As I said before the spelss I've chosen are for solo-ability and from level two spells onward I'll be looking at more offensive spells with a bit of CC mixed in.
No you haven't gimped anything. And you can still switch spells later.
Nightshield, Hypnotism and Magic Missile can all be useful L1 spells throughout the whole game.