PDA

View Full Version : quest xp re-evaluation for levels 17-20

Dirac
05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
I believe we need more quests in the 17-20 range. For those who are TRing, xp in this range is very difficult. I understand that is not happening in the new update and don't want to get into the good or bad of that here.

However, a nice compromise might be to up the xp for the current quests. I might think an increase of 25-50% for the IQ/DD quests and 100-200% for the Amrath quests. They can be brought back down once there is more to do at these levels.

This has happened regularly over the past few years (e.g. necro getting buffed, GH getting nerfed) as the game demanded, so this is not so radical. This, also, should take little time to do.

Impaqt
05-21-2010, 09:28 AM
There is more than enough XP in the 17-20 range to level even a 2nd TR comfortably.

grodon9999
05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Agreed on the Amrarth quests. The IQ stuff is short but the Amrath quests take a long time and are harder. The 4 flagging quests should pay 20k XP, at least as much as Madstone crator with optionals.

MalakRevan
05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
I believe we need more quests in the 17-20 range. For those who are TRing, xp in this range is very difficult. I understand that is not happening in the new update and don't want to get into the good or bad of that here.

However, a nice compromise might be to up the xp for the current quests. I might think an increase of 25-50% for the IQ/DD quests and 100-200% for the Amrath quests. They can be brought back down once there is more to do at these levels.

This has happened regularly over the past few years (e.g. necro getting buffed, GH getting nerfed) as the game demanded, so this is not so radical. This, also, should take little time to do.

/signed. Although I have not noticed much problem getting XP for my TR at these levels yet (actually 17-19 have seemed to fly by) it would be nice to have this boost for those who are double TR and just those who are questing in general until more content is added at the upper levels.

Dirac
05-21-2010, 10:03 AM
There is more than enough XP in the 17-20 range to level even a 2nd TR comfortably.

There is enough xp in the 17-20 range to level a 2nd TR. To say one can do that comfortably, depends on the person. Whether one finds advancing those levels with the content we have fun or sufficiently unfun depends on the person.

A more useful exercise is to compare the amount of xp necessary to advance each level. A relevant figure-of-merit might be the ratio of the total base xp of all quests at a given level divided by the xp necessary to gain that level. This does not take into account optionals and explorer zones - the absolute number is not important but the relative number between levels.

For example, the (total base xp of second level quests)/(xp necessary to get to 3rd level) for a beginning character is 0.83. This is the highest value for any level and demonstrates what we already know: that you can run all 2nd level quests on normal, pick up some optionals and already be level 3.

If you do this for all levels 1-14 and then again for all levels 16-19, the average ratio in each level range for the given TRs in handy tabular form:

average of (total base xp of quests)/(xp necessary to get to next level)

leveling - levels 1-14 - levels 16-19

normal - 0.51 - 0.29
1 TR - 0.39 - 0.15
2+ TR - 0.32 - 0.10

While, certainly there exists enough xp to level, the point is the amount of xp/quest/level of 16-19 is sufficiently lower than the other levels to warrant increasing the base xp until more quests are made at this level, then adjusting back.

(I have excluded level 15 from this because it is on the boundry between these two regions and has an anomolously low number of quests - skewing the numbers of either group it would be placed in.)

Edit: The first set of numbers were out of date (2/17). I have updated them to the correct numbers based on the quest listing in Rowan's thread.

Valiance
05-21-2010, 10:09 AM

Please detail your "comfortable" trip from 17-20 please. Mr Cow did....and despite him being probably the fastest zerger this game has ever seen he does not describe it as "comfortable".

I look forward to seeing your detailed breakdown so I can learn how you do it. You must be the best player this game has ever seen to post such a comment!!!

Kza
05-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Signed signed signed, do more or less whole iq/dreaming dark + amrath til ransack are ... not so fun.... More quests in range or more xp per quest!

LupusVai
05-21-2010, 10:25 AM
With regards to leveling TR toons.(NOTE TR TOONS) What people mean when they say that there is more than enough exp is that they grind the same few quests over and over untill they have nearly bled them dry. Which is very true theres plenty of exp to be had if you don't mind grinding Deleras then crypt untill your eyes bleed. Followed by von3 and Wizking till your fingers fall off. Followed by cruicible / madstone till you've pulled all of your hair out. Followed by the vale quests untill your insides start to poor out of your ears. By this point you're about level 18 and ready to cry yourself to death at your keyboard repeating the refuge /amarath and IQ quests untill you have nightmares about them. (throw in a few of the better paying less ran quests along the way ofc)

Yep theres plenty of exp but only if you want to milk every drop of exp from the select few quests. If you dont milk the lower level quests dry then you end up having to go to GH, Vale and amarath too early which leaves you in a terrible pickle for quest exp.

Some people like that sort of thing though.(so it seems)

New toons theres no real need to grind the same quests so much. (of course though if you want to level quick this process seems to be the most efficient.)

Baahb3
05-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I am on my 2nd TR with my monk and almost half way through lvl 16, yet I still have only done GH on nomral, not touched the orchard, vale or anything past that yet, and still have Wiz King elite to run and those are just the quests, no slayer zone xp outside of the desert.

Almost no quest has been 'farmed'. Shadow Crypt normal was done 3 times, Wiz King normal was done 3 times and Offering of Blood normal was done about 5 times (looking for spectral gloves) and that is about it. There may have been a few repeats to help out friends that were leveling with me but that is about it. Hell, I did not even run Von5 or Twilight Forge.

While running every quest on N/H/E with as many optionals, ransack and conquest awards as possible may not be for everyone I will have to agree with Impaqt, not really an issue leveling a 2nd TR.

Baahb3
05-21-2010, 10:32 AM
With regards to leveling TR toons.(NOTE TR TOONS) What people mean when they say that there is more than enough exp is that they grind the same few quests over and over untill they have nearly bled them dry. Which is very true theres plenty of exp to be had if you don't mind grinding Deleras then crypt untill your eyes bleed. Followed by von3 and Wizking till your fingers fall off. Followed by cruicible / madstone till you've pulled all of your hair out. Followed by the vale quests untill your insides start to poor out of your ears. By this point you're about level 18 and ready to cry yourself to death at your keyboard repeating the refuge /amarath and IQ quests untill you have nightmares about them. (throw in a few of the better paying less ran quests along the way ofc)

Yep theres plenty of exp but only if you want to milk every drop of exp from the select few quests. If you dont milk the lower level quests dry then you end up having to go to GH, Vale and amarath too early which leaves you in a terrible pickle for quest exp.

Some people like that sort of thing though.(so it seems)

New toons theres no real need to grind the same quests so much. (of course though if you want to level quick this process seems to be the most efficient.)

I cannot say how untrue this post is. Those that say you have to grind quests over and over again are those that ONLY do the best xp/min quests. If you do that then yes you will make your eyes bleed and your fingers break, but if you look at it like a 20 level favor run and take advantage of at least the lower levels of the slayer zones awards you don't have to repeat hardly any quest unless you want to.

Bilger
05-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Please detail your "comfortable" trip from 17-20 please. Mr Cow did....and despite him being probably the fastest zerger this game has ever seen he does not describe it as "comfortable".

I look forward to seeing your detailed breakdown so I can learn how you do it. You must be the best player this game has ever seen to post such a comment!!!

Seriously, it is not hard do quests at level don't go to GH till you are lvl appropriate.

Bank XP, meaning don't LVL to absolutely needed.

Run N/H/E at LVL don't be in a rush to get to next area.

Hit all high xp quests and chains until not worth it.

Slayers are your friend!!

Don't skip areas over like desert and necropolis area.

Just a few pointers.

I did this and didn't even need any IQ or Amrath!! :D

P.S. Banking isn't neccessary I did it to save 10% xp in some quests and more in others. Not neccessary but makes the run up faster.

Dirac
05-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I am on my 2nd TR with my monk and almost half way through lvl 16, yet I still have only done GH on nomral, not touched the orchard, vale or anything past that yet, and still have Wiz King elite to run and those are just the quests, no slayer zone xp outside of the desert.

Almost no quest has been 'farmed'. Shadow Crypt normal was done 3 times, Wiz King normal was done 3 times and Offering of Blood normal was done about 5 times (looking for spectral gloves) and that is about it. There may have been a few repeats to help out friends that were leveling with me but that is about it. Hell, I did not even run Von5 or Twilight Forge.

While running every quest on N/H/E with as many optionals, ransack and conquest awards as possible may not be for everyone I will have to agree with Impaqt, not really an issue leveling a 2nd TR.

I did not question that there exist people for whom this is not a serious problem (I note you are just starting the 17-20 grind on the second TR). I respect Impaqt's opinion as well. It is, however, a mathematical fact that the xp available to level is quite different between 1-14 and 16-19. Of course, I am doing what you are doing, managing low level xp quite carefully and using it at the higher levels. One might suggest the neccessity of doing this as further evidence that there is not enough xp at the higher levels.

Cyr
05-21-2010, 10:42 AM
average of (total base xp of quests)/(xp necessary to get to next level)

leveling - levels 1-14 - levels 16-19

normal - 0.5 - 0.25
1 TR - 0.38 - 0.13
2+ TR - 0.32 - 0.09

This is perhaps the most compelling case for the OP's suggestion I have seen. It essentially means that with no bonus xp it would take 10 runs of each quest level 16-19 to level through those ranges compared to 3 runs for levels 1-14. Yes, of course you have declining XP per repetition to think of and the bonus xp offset. This also of course highlights very effectively the need fom more quests in the level 16-19 range also.

/signed to the OP's suggestion

Baahb3
05-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I did not question that there exist people for whom this is not a serious problem (I note you are just starting the 17-20 grind on the second TR). I respect Impaqt's opinion as well. It is, however, a mathematical fact that the xp available to level is quite different between 1-14 and 16-19. Of course, I am doing what you are doing, managing low level xp quite carefully and using it at the higher levels. One might suggest the neccessity of doing this as further evidence that there is not enough xp at the higher levels.

True enough, this is my first 2nd TR and I cannot speak with experiance on the 16-19 range, but even judging from the 1st TR, I never touched Amrath, IQ/DD, RR past normal, Vale elite, Hound/VoD, and most other raids more than once, so I am not too worried about the lack of XP the second time around.

I will also preface my statements by saying I do play this game differently, just ask my guildies that hate to run TRs with me because I am not worried about the all precious XP/min. Not to say I cannot zerg with the best of them, I just choose not to.

Leveling a TR (more so a 2nd TR) takes planning and patience, not boosted XP for higher level quests. Now, more high level quests to choose from instead of the lvl 5-8 overflow we keep getting would be a welcome sight.

Impaqt
05-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Comfot is relative I guess... I should of simply said "There is more than enough XP to level a TR or even 2xTR from 17-20"

It simply bugs me that people want to make this element of the game yet another "Easy button" (As much as I hate that term, thats what this thread is about)

True Res should NOT be easy. and doing this would simply make it even easier for standard caracters to quickly hit cap without having any sort of grasp on the game.

I've got one true res project I'm working on.. Not even capped once yet..... Its a side project that I understand will take a while for me to cap.. and thats a good thing IMO.

No one Needs to True Res. For the cost of a heart, you could buy 2-3 additional Character slots.

So if I "Must be the uberest player" for my comment, wouldnt that make people who want a change like this the worst players? hmmm... Interesting comment.....

Thrudh
05-21-2010, 11:12 AM
True enough, this is my first 2nd TR and I cannot speak with experiance on the 16-19 range, but even judging from the 1st TR, I never touched Amrath, IQ/DD, RR past normal, Vale elite, Hound/VoD, and most other raids more than once, so I am not too worried about the lack of XP the second time around.

I will also preface my statements by saying I do play this game differently, just ask my guildies that hate to run TRs with me because I am not worried about the all precious XP/min. Not to say I cannot zerg with the best of them, I just choose not to.

Leveling a TR (more so a 2nd TR) takes planning and patience, not boosted XP for higher level quests. Now, more high level quests to choose from instead of the lvl 5-8 overflow we keep getting would be a welcome sight.

My first TR I screwed up and skipped some things (like only did the VONs once, and skipped Necro mostly) and jumped into the Vale too soon (at level 15).. He's still at 18, and although he hasn't touched Amrath or IQ yet, it's going to be a tough slog to 20... (And I was planning on TRing him again!)

My second TR is doing much better... He's 13, and still has plenty of stuff to do... I'll be 15 easy before I have to go into Gianthold, and 17 before I even start on the Vale.

I don't grind quests either, I just didn't skip anything with my second TR.. I pretend like favor matters, and I try to get my favor page all pretty with red elites all down the list...

16+ is very very slow for a TR... I too would like to see more 16-19 quests... And I do think the Amrath quests deserve more exp per quest

Eladiun
05-21-2010, 11:12 AM
I think this speaks for itself...It would be interesting to see F2P vs P2P superimposed on there. We need more quest...change the XP, no, more quests yes.

Originally Posted by Zaodan http://cdn.content.turbine.com/sites/forums.ddo.com/images/buttons/red/viewpost.gif (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2973721#post2973721)
Maybe this will help:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/RPGamerd00d/Gaming/QuestsPerLevel.jpg

Baahb3
05-21-2010, 11:13 AM
It simply bugs me that people want to make this element of the game yet another "Easy button" (As much as I hate that term, thats what this thread is about)

True Res should NOT be easy. and doing this would simply make it even easier for standard caracters to quickly hit cap without having any sort of grasp on the game.

100% agreement

No one Needs to True Res.

Bilger
05-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Comfot is relative I guess... I should of simply said "There is more than enough XP to level a TR or even 2xTR from 17-20"

I've got one true res project I'm working on.. Not even capped once yet..... Its a side project that I understand will take a while for me to cap.. and thats a good thing IMO.

No one Needs to True Res. For the cost of a heart, you could buy 2-3 additional Character slots.

So if I "Must be the uberest player" for my comment, wouldnt that make people who want a change like this the worst players? hmmm... Interesting comment.....

Have to agree it isn't a requirement to TR or is it needed.

TR is for people to get a lil more fun and better there characters although very slightly from a non TR.

Seriously, that +2 to stats and past live feats are so build changing:cool:

It is not required to TR it is an option and something you don't have to do.

Once you do TR you are acknowledging the grind and what comes with it.

The XP is there and isn't Turbines fault or anyone else's if messed up while lvling the char.

Planning it out is needed and is the way it is for a reason.

Although I do agree end content is lacking ATM and not for xp reasons, for just lack of reasons. Epic is not a good argument just old content that done already made EPIC isn't end content. IMO:D

moops
05-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I will agree that Amrath quests should be bumped up in XP a bit--a few of these quests should give you more XP if you run with 4+ people in a pug :)

However, Im tired of playing with TRs who have no clue how to play--my guess is that they just started the game and got to lvl 20 as quickly as possible skipping most of the content and all the harder content, and then TR'd--It has surprised me just how many awful TRs I have seen--at least if they have to grind out those last few levels, they may become decent players--although I've seen some pretty sad LvL 20 TRs as well, but maybe if they do a 2nd TR and really have to grind they will become better players.

While I would welcome new content, More quests = more people that PUG split between more LFMS. . .Im not sure that is a good thing--some people need to pug, and still need or like to group and not solo everything. With EPIC out there, there is a ton of new old content out there, competing with LFMS.

The easier solution would be to allow lvl 18 or 19 in EPics. As Ive said B4 my alts were running EPics with all shroud stuff that I had at lvl 16. . .And the low level spell Firewall is the primary common DPS of these quests--tho Ive read that some do it different. There is a timer, and people would quickly get 0xp from running them if that is all that they would do, so they would prob still do the other quests.

Valiance
05-21-2010, 04:25 PM

Well to start with no your final sentence is completely incorrect. If you were the best player to every play this game someone who couldn't do the same things as you doesn't make them the worst...just not as good as you. There is a huge range from 2nd best to worst that logically everyone would fall into who wants this change.

But enough arguing pitiful logic argument with someone who hasn't even ever done a TRx2.

What I am more interested in pointing out is that leveling a character in this game is NOT HARD, NOR A CHALLENGE. At least not an in game challenge. I guess it is a challenge in one way, it is a real life challenge to see how much time can be wasted sitting at a computer doing mindless activities that don't stimulate you at all.

I want to get bonus xp for doing a quest higher than my level. I want to get bonus xp for soloing raids. I want to get bonus xp for solo'ing Garamol ect. In other words I want just what you want...to get rid of the "easy button". Because no matter how I look at it, running the same quests over and over while I am EXACTLY one level higher than the quest level and then killing some stuff in the incredibly easy explorer areas is not challenge. It is a frickin joke.

V

Dirac
05-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Personally, I do not have an opinion about if the 17-20 leveling of a x2TR is easy, miserable, hard, or trivial. I have not done a x2TR. I think the following is incontrovertible:

1. There is significantly less xp for the 16-20 level range than the other level ranges relative to the xp needed to level.

2. Any negative feelings about this is enormously exacerbated for TR and x2TR.

3. This fact provides negative synergy for another update without new content for levels 16-19.

4. Equalizing is fair, would not take much time, help ameliorate the negative feelings, can be adjusted back in the future, and has plenty of precedents.

The xp of the high level quests is not in balance. I don't believe that can be argued. I'm just saying now would be a good time to bring them in balance. Those that are dissipointed in the content of the new update will have something to look forward to in working on their TRs.

I apologize, but my first set of numbers were slightly out of date. I have adjusted them in the earliier post. They are:

ratio of (total base quest xp)/(xp needed to level)

TR - level 1-14 - level 16-19
normal - 0.51 - 0.29
1 TR - 0.39 - 0.15
2+ TR - 0.32 - 0.10

QuantumFX
05-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Personally, I would rather see the 34 and 35 point XP tables changed from 5%/10% * Character Level to a flat 165%/230% XP at all levels. I’d rather spend more time at levels 1-14 than 15-19.

Lorien_the_First_One
05-21-2010, 07:28 PM

The XP/time is some of the worst in the game. It makes no sense that you can do the easier IQ/DD quests and the easier Vale quests for better XP/min.

Lorien_the_First_One
05-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Personally, I would rather see the 34 and 35 point XP tables changed from 5%/10% * Character Level to a flat 165%/230% XP at all levels. I’d rather spend more time at levels 1-14 than 15-19.

Absolutely not. They should just make sure there is appropriate high level content.

One of the strengths of what they did was allow us to almost normally relevel to the point where characters start to shine and reaquire their raid loot (L11-14) and then slow us down. It's part of what makes TR fun.

sirgog
05-21-2010, 07:36 PM
W

What I am more interested in pointing out is that leveling a character in this game is NOT HARD, NOR A CHALLENGE. At least not an in game challenge. I guess it is a challenge in one way, it is a real life challenge to see how much time can be wasted sitting at a computer doing mindless activities that don't stimulate you at all.

I want to get bonus xp for doing a quest higher than my level. I want to get bonus xp for soloing raids. I want to get bonus xp for solo'ing Garamol ect. In other words I want just what you want...to get rid of the "easy button". Because no matter how I look at it, running the same quests over and over while I am EXACTLY one level higher than the quest level and then killing some stuff in the incredibly easy explorer areas is not challenge. It is a frickin joke.

V

/signed. Good to see someone that recognises that there is nothing at all challenging about spending ages grinding easy content for TRs.

I'd slightly modify the OP's suggestion - two of the Amrath flagging quests can be zerged very quickly (Sins of Attrition and A New Invasion) - these shouldn't get an enormous XP boost (soloing Sins on normal is worthwhile doing, XP/time wise, on a Cleric even after you are getting -70% repetition XP). But the longer ones - Bastion and Genesis Point - they need it.

Impaqt
05-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Well to start with no your final sentence is completely incorrect. If you were the best player to every play this game someone who couldn't do the same things as you doesn't make them the worst...just not as good as you. There is a huge range from 2nd best to worst that logically everyone would fall into who wants this change.

But enough arguing pitiful logic argument with someone who hasn't even ever done a TRx2.

V

If yer not first, yer last.

TheJusticar
05-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Perhaps for a person with 6+ hours/day of play, yes. For those of us who gets 2-3hours/night lvls 17-20 on a second TR is right out /wrists.

I wholeheartedly agree and support OP's idea. Amrath XP x2 and IQ/DD XP x 1.5 until more content is added in this level range.

QuantumFX
05-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Absolutely not. They should just make sure there is appropriate high level content.

One of the strengths of what they did was allow us to almost normally relevel to the point where characters start to shine and reaquire their raid loot (L11-14) and then slow us down. It's part of what makes TR fun.

Speak for yourself. I have fun doing quests at the level they were intended for and I’m still leaving lower levels without hitting quests on a variety of difficulties. Turning levels 15-19 into the “Hotel California” of DDO is simply not fun. Not just because of the heavy and unnecessary repetition but because Turbine can’t seem to make a high level quest that doesn't feature some breakdown of their game engine.

TheJusticar
05-21-2010, 08:29 PM

V

I'd agree with this as well. The challenge right now is not to /wrists after repeating the same quest 15 times (literally) in a row just to get 1/2 through one rank. At that point is not even an easy button, it's auto pilot mode which is worse, IMO.

Gimme more quests, in the order of 10 to 15, in the level range 17-20. Make the XP level appropriate and ffs make it a worthwhile challenge.

Dirac
05-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Another way to look at how Amrath in particular is unbalanced in terms of xp is to compare the total base xp for raid zones (excluding the raid itself) normalized (divided by) the amount of xp necessary to advance the level of the quest. I've listed numbers in terms of percentages this time.

For normal leveling:

desert: 29%
gianthold: 38%
vale: 24%
amrath: 20%

For a x2TR:

desert: 13%
gianthold: 16%
vale: 9%
amrath: 7%

I did not calculate the Orchard because I'm still not sure how the Litany of the Dead optionals should be included in any useful comparison. Even just looking just at the raid zones, the upper levels are not balanced.

Dirac
05-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Gimme more quests, in the order of 10 to 15, in the level range 17-20. Make the XP level appropriate and ffs make it a worthwhile challenge.

Quests are certainly the answer. However, in the meantime, I'm asking that the xp for the 17-20 quests get balanced. Also, I think the range 17-20 needs more help. Even though some 10-15 levels have fewer quests, those quests have a greater fraction of xp needed to level. Say level A has 3 quests and level B has 5 quests, but you need to run level B quests 10 times to level while you only need to run level A quests 5 times. Level B needs more help.