PDA

View Full Version : Easy experience enhancer

werk
05-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Dear creator,

I'm sure it has been said before... Since this type of thing already exists in the game, I'd think it would be simple to accommodate this request, and it would greatly enrich the play experience, just as collectible, ingredient, and gem bags have...

1. Potion box (or bandolier)
2. Spell Component pouch
3. Wand quiver
4. Scroll tube.

Just do it.

All the bank space is grand, but doesn't help.

JustWinBaby
05-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Dear creator,

I'm sure it has been said before... Since this type of thing already exists in the game, I'd think it would be simple to accommodate this request, and it would greatly enrich the play experience, just as collectible, ingredient, and gem bags have...

1. Potion box (or bandolier)
2. Spell Component pouch
3. Wand quiver
4. Scroll tube.

Just do it.

All the bank space is grand, but doesn't help.

In PnP, there is such thing as a potion belt. :)

Calebro
05-19-2010, 11:28 AM
To my understanding it's a problem with the coding.
A bag within your inventory is a space within a space.
Have you ever tried hotbar'ing a set of arrows that you have in a quiver and clicking those arrows to equip them? If not give it a shot and see what happens.
Nothing happens. The arrows need to be removed from your quiver first.
That's when you actively tell the game that you want those specific arrows equipped and used.
This is similar to wands, potions and scrolls, but in the case of spell components it would be even more complex as you're not actively selecting the components.

Collectable turn ins seem to be the exception to this, but I suspect that this has to do with the "out of combat" portion and the fact that those NPCs are specifically coded to look for those items.
I'm not a programmer by any means, but this is my understanding of the situation.

werk
05-19-2010, 11:56 AM
In PnP, there is such thing as a potion belt. :)

Yes, these all exist in pen and paper D&D... at least in 3.5e.

Someone's been paying attention. :)

ngn-Aeo
05-19-2010, 11:57 AM
To my understanding it's a problem with the coding.
A bag within your inventory is a space within a space.
Have you ever tried hotbar'ing a set of arrows that you have in a quiver and clicking those arrows to equip them? If not give it a shot and see what happens.
Nothing happens. The arrows need to be removed from your quiver first.
That's when you actively tell the game that you want those specific arrows equipped and used.
This is similar to wands, potions and scrolls, but in the case of spell components it would be even more complex as you're not actively selecting the components.

Collectable turn ins seem to be the exception to this, but I suspect that this has to do with the "out of combat" portion and the fact that those NPCs are specifically coded to look for those items.
I'm not a programmer by any means, but this is my understanding of the situation.

Where your probably correct, it shouldn't be very hard to add lines of code to the spell casting method. The method call already looks in your inventory for needed components and uses them automatically. It's as easy as adding

if (spell_component_bag) exists
then
Look in bag for item
if (item) found
then
Consume item
endif
endif

That's pretty much how it would work, and I don't see how thats complicated, there's no need to treat the bags any different then another inventory page.

However, don't waste anytime on this. Fix the AH!

Auction house first, then work on other things :P

Drakos
05-19-2010, 12:01 PM
then
Look in bag for item
if (item) found
then
Consume item
endif
endif

That's pretty much how it would work, and I don't see how thats complicated, there's no need to treat the bags any different then another inventory page.

This type of logic already exists in DDO. It works for when you turn in collectables. So it should work for components.

Cylinwolf
05-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Where your probably correct, it shouldn't be very hard to add lines of code to the spell casting method. The method call already looks in your inventory for needed components and uses them automatically. It's as easy as adding

then
Look in bag for item
if (item) found
then
Consume item
endif
endif

I'm not really sure you understand how complicated a fully developed game engine actually is?

Otherwise, if it was THAT simple it'd have been done when people started whining about it a bit after release.

JustWinBaby
05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm not really sure you understand how complicated a fully developed game engine actually is?

Otherwise, if it was THAT simple it'd have been done when people started whining about it a bit after release.

Why can it work when you turn in collectables, or sell all of your gems, or automatically get a new set of arrows out of your quiver when firing shots off and not everything else?

FauxSho
05-19-2010, 01:51 PM
automatically get a new set of arrows out of your quiver when firing shots off
This doesn't always work quite right, I've noticed.

The point really isn't that items need to be usable from within these hypothetical extra bag types (well, except for spell component bags, that's pretty much required to make them worthwhile).
Potion, Scroll, and Wand storage containers would be worthwhile even if you still couldn't use or equip items from within them. Hireling folders work this way and they are very helpful (even the small one, since hireling contracts don't stack in inventory).
Of course it would be better if we could use things from within bags like that, but just having them would be nice even if the current limitations remain (exception for the component bag, that would be almost worthless if spells couldn't see into them and use components).

Yazston_the_Invoker
05-19-2010, 02:04 PM

then
Look in bag for item
if (item) found
then
Consume item
endif
endif

Unfortunately, one of the Devs(don't remember which one) specifically stated that the coding for spell component bags would be too complicated because of the way component usage was implemented. I don't remember whether or not he said it was being looked into, but apparently it is nowhere near as simple as you have it. ;)

That being said, even just a storage bag for pots and wands would be nice, though less useful if you could not hotbar them. I'd hate to have to go looking through bags in the middle of a fight to find the pot that I need at that given moment. ;)

I will agree, though, that there are many more things I'd like to see fixed before this, the AH being one of them. :D