PDA

View Full Version : make trap icon appear over rogue's head

chodelord
05-19-2010, 10:52 AM
When a rogue detects a trap the icon should appear over the rogue's head, maybe with some exclamation points or something. Same with secret doors, and maybe even when a toon spots/listens to hidden mobs.

And also add a line to the combat log.

Cyr
05-19-2010, 10:54 AM
The trap icon is a good idea as it will help new players with the rogue from wandering into those traps.

The others seem excessive, particularly the mob detection as it will be going off way too often.

Lorien_the_First_One
05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Only if the rest of the party took the "mind reading" feat. Otherwise the rogue can just say something.

If the party isn't being cautious, well then they get what they get.

Geonis
05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
I would be fine with them making the /stop mechanic able to be hotbar'd for quick usage.

wamjratl1
05-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Only if the rest of the party took the "mind reading" feat. Otherwise the rogue can just say something.

If the party isn't being cautious, well then they get what they get.

OP did you mean so it's easier for the rogue to see when he's spotted a trap or for the whole party to see the spot icon? I'd be ok with the former, but not the latter...

shadow_419
05-19-2010, 11:00 AM
I would be fine with them making the /stop mechanic able to be hotbar'd for quick usage.

This is an idea I can get behind. The rest aren't needed. The ability to spot hidden mobs is a skill you either invest in and reap the benefits or ignore and wait until they aren't hidden anymore.

Angelus_dead
05-19-2010, 11:01 AM
That would be true if DDO included the voice chat keybindings (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=235862) it should've had since launch.

JustWinBaby
05-19-2010, 11:06 AM
When a rogue detects a trap the icon should appear over the rogue's head, maybe with some exclamation points or something. Same with secret doors, and maybe even when a toon spots/listens to hidden mobs.

I disagree.

Rogue is the only one who can spot the traps. If the rogue doesn't say anything to the rest of the party, deal with it.

In PnP, I like having fun with the party when I'm a Rogue (which was a ton I might add ;) ).

If the party is impatient, that's their fault. If you see the Rogue searching, don't get in front of him until he gives the go ahead. Everyone in the party should be able to see that.

johnyBgood
05-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I guess... this might be somewhat helpful to a few..but since you can yell traaap! into the mic and people still blunder into it...you can type traaap! and still people blunder into it.. the rogue can be doing his Im looking for the trap box motion with four party members standing like statues waiting and still some will blunder into the trap..sometimes the trap is actually making ungodly amounts of noise and is easily seen as active..and yet ...some still blunder right into it.. so i personally wouldent bother.. good thinking though!

Phidius
05-19-2010, 11:14 AM
... If you see the Rogue searching, don't get in front of him until he gives the go ahead. Everyone in the party should be able to see that.

It's quite funny when people run past my toon who's in the middle of the search animation, die in the trap, then demand to know why I didn't say something.

I'm afraid the only way to get the message through to these kinds of people is to pause the game and launch a cut scene that shows a simulation of your party moving into the room followed by flinging their various body parts around the room as the GM voice over intones "You have chosen... poorly...".

rest
05-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Rogue is the only one who can spot the traps.

Anyone with a high enough spot will see the traps.

rimble
05-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Yup, simple text macros are all that are needed.

Lorien_the_First_One
05-19-2010, 11:52 AM
That would be true if DDO included the voice chat keybindings (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=235862) it should've had since launch.

That is a good idea you have there.

I actually played without voice for probably my first year in game. I got a mic within days of rolling my first rogue because some things you just wanted to make sure everyone knew, NOW.

Gnorbert
05-19-2010, 12:00 PM
G15 keyboard or anything similar with customizable macro buttons works wonders for this. Though I agree that the functionality should be part of the game and not rely on outside products.

As for the original idea here... no. If the rogue doesn't say anything then that's their choice. Sometimes he might just want to remain silent about a trap. Or the rogue might not mention a hidden door until the party has advanced around the corner... so that he can hang back and open it himself for a first dibs on the treasure.

Some rogues look out for themselves first. I'm not in favor of anything that takes choice away from the player.

Dexxaan
05-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Definitely an Icon popping pover the Rogues Skull is a nice touch.

The way many of us play, we barely let the trap monkey go ahead anyway!

At least this way it`s kind of like lifting your hand signalling a stop!

Good Suggestion Mr. OP.

JustWinBaby
05-19-2010, 12:06 PM

This is the problem.

The Devs shouldn't have to add anything in the game to make it easier on impatient people. They put traps in the game to tell you "Hey, this is going to hurt...really bad, if you don't have any patience. Enjoy."

Garseya
05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
You can already do this in game, just takes some fiddling with your options...

Should be a choice for the rogue to enable it tho- as it is now... Any rogue worth his salt has had groups who blunder through traps even after they have been warned multiple times... often its easier and safer to just carry those soulstones through the dungeon than risk having them set off a trap your working on... or leave them to the worms...

Lleren
05-19-2010, 12:14 PM

I'd love for this to happen.

I have noted that sometimes a hireling will notice a trap for my non rogues and give me an on screen warning. I think this would be a very usefull method to go about it as well.

donotdirect1
05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
An easy solution for rogues who don't have voice is to type "/stop" highlight it, press control+C. Spot a trap, enter then control+V to paste, enter again.

I fully support an icon, it could come in handy. Maybe like a bear trap icon.

And yes, we should have chat macros. Telling the group to gather for buffs can be tough without voice.

While voice is nice, it shouldn't be a requirement for the game.

Lorz
05-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Definitely an Icon popping pover the Rogues Skull is a nice touch.

At least this way it`s kind of like lifting your hand signalling a stop!

Good Suggestion Mr. OP.

So what your saying is that everybody should benefit without having to put points into spot.
Sorry no. Either you can spot them or you cant.
And again if you run ahead...let me suggest a good spot or good game knowledge.

No support for the idea of a visiable icon above rogue. And those with spot get a message.

We have enough poor players and lazy players already.

dominp
05-19-2010, 12:43 PM

what if your chaotic and don't want others to know there is a trap? :cool:

Rakian_Knight
05-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I agree with the chat shortcut but not the icon above the rogue's head. As several people have already said, sometimes you don't want to tell the rest of the party about the traps because maybe they left you to fight for yourself in a room full of zombies. This is just like the power a cleric has if they choose not to heal the people that run ahead of the group, the rogue has the abilitiy to warn the party or not warn them if the want.