PDA

View Full Version : Stuff from PnP I would love to see in game somehow...

Grendyll
05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Some things I really liked from the 3.5 PnP game.

In the Magic Item Compendium supplement, they introduced the concept of Weapon and Armor crystals. These items did a lot to mitigate the "design mistakes" that 3.5 introduced, especially to the DR system. A lesser fiend-slayer crystal fitted to a weapon would give it 1d6 damage versus evil outsiders and make it good-aligned to break DR. A Demolition crystal would allow a rogue to apply some sneak attack damage to constructs, and a Truedeath crystal would some sneak attack to affect the undead. Or let rogues use the alternate class feature from the Dungeonscape supplement to trade trap sense for penetrating strike (allows 1/2 sneak attack versus undead and constructs if the rogue is flanking them).

At least give us Silversheen, a consumable item from the PnP basic Dungeon Master's Guide (makes weapons silver for 1 hour for like 250 gp per dose if I remember correctly).

Let rogues apply poison to their weapons for more devastating initial sneak attacks from stealth.

Wizards and Sorcerers need their familiars! They don't need AI or to be separate game entities, but little pets that just sit on their shoulder or follow them around and grant minor bonuses, except maybe the caster can switch to run the familiar as a scout temporarily, leaving their main body behind in a suspended state until they switch back.

Clerics should be able to access Divine Meta-Magic feats, implemented as short duration boosts that use up turn attempts and give discounts on meta-magic costs while active. Abusing DMM is like a right of passage in PnP :) .

Implement Kung-fu Genius and Ascetic Mage feats to switch the monk AC boosting stat to INT or CHA like in PnP, so it doesn't always have to be WIS.

Would love to see the spiked chain make an appearance and maybe make tripping more viable as a tactic somehow for fighters, a classic staple from PnP.

OK sorry for the random rambling, but I have had these vague ideas bouncing around in my head for a while and thought I would throw them out there.

sgtcatfish
05-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I believe you may want to read the update 5 patch notes, i could be mistaken but i do remember something about rogues getting poison or something along those lines and the ability to make traps, cant really say about anything else you mentioned

Personally would love to see the Permanency spell added for caster for buffs 3rd lvl and lower at a xp cost or something to make it worth it

LunaCee
05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
*raised eyebrows*

Permanency isn't in the game for very good reason. One by the book it costs XP to use, two any buffs that were perm'd are still 100% able to be dispelled, three some of the buff spells would be pointless perm'd because you can get them via gear or in some cases the version available via gear is better than the spell... while others would be OP if made permanent.

Aspenor
05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
*raised eyebrows*

Permanency isn't in the game for very good reason. One by the book it costs XP to use, two any buffs that were perm'd are still 100% able to be dispelled, three some of the buff spells would be pointless perm'd because you can get them via gear or in some cases the version available via gear is better than the spell... while others would be OP if made permanent.

Not 100% true. Only a short list of personal permanent spells can be dispelled. An equally large number of permanent spells cannot be dispelled when the target for the spell is yourself, such as reduce person or Rary's Telepathic Bond.

Permanent spells cast on objects, locations, or others may always be dispelled.

dasein18
05-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Would love to see some of the classics like the Keep on the Borderland, etc brought into the game.

sgtcatfish
05-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Agreed a few things would have to be done to not make it OP but things like resist energy and things in that spell lvl range would be really nice to have Permanency on of course costing xp to cast to make it balanced

Aspenor
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Agreed a few things would have to be done to not make it OP but things like resist energy and things in that spell lvl range would be really nice to have Permanency on of course costing xp to cast to make it balanced

That wouldn't make it balanced, because XP is in endless supply in this game.

Furthermore, resist energy is not on the list of spells able to be made permanent. It is up to the DM's discretion whether he wants to let them be added to the list, and even then the player must spend time and money to research them (actually, to research if it's even possible to do).

grodon9999
05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
In the Magic Item Compendium supplement, they introduced the concept of Weapon and Armor crystals. These items did a lot to mitigate the "design mistakes" that 3.5 introduced, especially to the DR system. A lesser fiend-slayer crystal fitted to a weapon would give it 1d6 damage versus evil outsiders and make it good-aligned to break DR. A Demolition crystal would allow a rogue to apply some sneak attack damage to constructs, and a Truedeath crystal would some sneak attack to affect the undead. Or let rogues use the alternate class feature from the Dungeonscape supplement to trade trap sense for penetrating strike (allows 1/2 sneak attack versus undead and constructs if the rogue is flanking them)..

Oh hell yeah!

Symar-FangofLloth
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Let rogues apply poison to their weapons for more devastating initial sneak attacks from stealth.

Play an Assassin Rogue, you'll get your poisons :p

Grendyll
05-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Play an Assassin Rogue, you'll get your poisons :p

Yeah but I was thinking about something for all rogues to use, and something with more of a big one time bang, then you have to be out of combat to reapply it and get set up to use it again. Of course, that sounds a lot like assassin death attack, maybe I should just roll assassin...I still think their poison ability doesn't really feel like using poisons from PnP...

Spisey
05-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Igniteable flasks of oil! ;)

jboyd158
05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Able Learner
Chameleon PrE
Class Stack Feats
More PrEs that are available to multiple classes or require multiple classes.