PDA

View Full Version : Concentration Checks on Using Stuff

Samadhi
05-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Please. I know this has been suggested before. But it is really just beyond annoying to have 1 archer out of your reach that takes you 10 minutes to open a door / throw a lever because they are plinking you with an arrow every half second. I don't see anything this would hurt.

Angelus_dead
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
This would have the large negative effect of enabling Wizards, Clerics, Sorcerers, Favored Souls, Monks, and Bards to open doors during combat, but not Barbarians or other characters.

It is too different from the defined function of "Concentration".

Samadhi
05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
This would have the large negative effect of enabling Wizards, Clerics, Sorcerers, Favored Souls, Monks, and Bards to open doors during combat, but not Barbarians or other characters.

I could make a roleplaying argument for why that could make sense, but I'm not sure that I want to. You have a good point.

How about just a Constitution check? That might make less sense from a RP perspective - but should be more balanced. Also with just a Con check, we are talking a much smaller ratio for success. This is good, IMO, since the goal I am suggesting is opening doors / using levers with an archer plinking you for 1% of your HP total; a situation that is annoying but far from dangerous; not a situation of 4+ devils actively beating on you.

chester99
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes. both of these solutions would work. there should be some sort of "save" for that sort of thing, concentration, fortitude... something. maybe both, the highest value becoming the default.

makes the game more non-full-party friendly, adds some flavor to skill points and makes me less likely to break my keyboard because of the skelly archer behind me.

JustWinBaby
05-18-2010, 11:55 AM

No, that would just mean that Barbarians, Fighters, and whoever else needs to take some Concentration if they want to open doors in combat. I don't know why they would, since they are the main DPS, but if you want to, go for it :)

Phidius
05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Agreed - it's interesting that I can maintain sufficient focus to alter the very nature of reality, but I can't open a simple door made by kobolds...

Concentration is modified by Constitution, so I'd think a melee type with a 30 Con should also be able to open a door while getting hit for 8-9 points of damage... without a single rank in Concentration.

Thriand
05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd like to see concentration checks added to lots of things, especially potions and clickies. I've always hated the fact that you could be smacked in the middle of a drinking/casting animation for potions/clickies and still get it off with no check required, but casting the identical spell required one.

Of course I'd also like for raging barbarians to not be able to use the concentration skill as per PnP if additional checks were added, but thats just my being partial to PnP.