PDA

View Full Version : Which adventure pack?

mindlessdrone1991
05-16-2010, 09:38 PM
I was wondering which adventure pack to pick, given the choice between Gianthold and the Vale of Twilight. (Ideally, I'd like both, but I'm not sure if that will be possible... The main bonus of playing this game is the whole free thing, since money is a bit tight atm). I know that the Vale is more often cited as a must-have, but I'm worried that I won't even be able to get to appropriate level for Vale without the Gianthold quests. Any advice?

tihocan
05-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Vale is better in the long-term. But you'll definitely have a rough time going from Free to Vale without Demon Sands or GH. Expect having to do a lot of Slayers... (at least there are rather easy parts of the Vale you can run for Slayers).
If your main concern is to have fun running quests in the short-term, GH would be better IMO. If you want to get to highest levels and craft some of the coolest items in the game, then Vale it is.

lord_of_rage
05-16-2010, 09:45 PM
I have to agree with tihocan. Its hard to reach the 13-14 range without GH as there is a ton of xp to be had there. They are both great packs and Gianthold has my favorite quests in the game. But the Vale has more long term benifits. The shroud is probobly the single most important raid in the game.

mindlessdrone1991
05-16-2010, 09:49 PM
I still have to think about it. The only reason I'm even really debating is because Vale is also quite a bit cheaper than Gianthold.... I'm still leaning toward GH though...

cardmj1
05-16-2010, 09:52 PM
I would suggest Vale as well but you are right about the leveling issue. My advice is either wait for them to go on sale to purchase or you can map out slayers during your leveling to help make the difference up in xp. You can enter the Vale at level 12 and start your slayers to also make the difference up. Another bit of advice is to hold out on leveling up as much as you can so you can run lower level quests and still achieve xp ( I believe you can hold out for 2 levels unless they changed it.) If you have a good friend who is premium (who purchased gh) or VIP, they may be able to buy you a guest pass to gianthold or the sands.

mindlessdrone1991
05-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Good point on holding off levels... I did that for a while since I didn't have Delera's haha. I'm currently level 8 though, and stopped holding out at that point. I ran stormcleave for the first time at level 8, which is almost unheard of for me (I'm used to running it for the first time at 5 or 6). I think that, between stormcleave, gwylan's, tear of dakaan, the pit (maybe, haha), tempest spine, black anvil mines, and assorted slayers I should be able to get close to 14 or so eventually. I think I'll go with Vale. Thanks for the input everyone!

DavionFuxa
05-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Not sure if you are still looking for input, but I will be the one to say you should get Gianthold. The main reason being that Vale of Twilight has little to no benefit in the short term other then for S/E/R, and you will eventually earn enough for Vale of Twilight afterwards. Make a note though that as mentioned, you could get Demon Sands in place of Gianthold, though I have found a lack of parties to run quests there.

It doesn't really matter though in which order to get adventure packs, just be sure to buy them while they are on sale. I bought Gianthold first and then bought Vale of Twilight after, both at 20% off.

mindlessdrone1991
05-16-2010, 11:05 PM
What is S/E/R...?

maha0201
05-16-2010, 11:10 PM
What is S/E/R...?
slayer/explorer/rare encounter

OT: i bought vale when it was 20% off and manage to take my char from 16 to 20 lvl, i was f2p then, and i was holding lvls (i would lvl up when i got xp for 2 lvl up)

sgtcatfish
05-17-2010, 12:43 AM
I would recommend Vale over GH first depending on what you want out of the pack, on a side note you can reach around lvl 14 or so without ever going to GH or the vale, the vale is min lvl 13 anyway so at 13 if you have vale you can start on slayers rares and explorers there plus you can find groups around lvl 13-16 or so dong vale flagging for shroud

FluffyCalico
05-17-2010, 12:49 AM
I have to agree with tihocan. Its hard to reach the 13-14 range without GH as there is a ton of xp to be had there. .

1) Yes GH and vale are both very good.
2) Even a TR that needs far more xp can get to 14 before setting foot in GH if they try, meaning a NonTR could skip it
3) Should point out if he skips GH he will have 10 HP less as he will never hit 150 GH favor for the 10HP reward
4) The main progression near the end is Vale, Shroud/Hound/VOD, Reavers refuge, Shavarath. If you leave any of those out you will really be limiting your self at the high levels. Well if you are WF or icyrainment person guess you could skip the refuge.

lord_of_rage
05-17-2010, 06:05 PM
1) Yes GH and vale are both very good.
2) Even a TR that needs far more xp can get to 14 before setting foot in GH if they try, meaning a NonTR could skip it
3) Should point out if he skips GH he will have 10 HP less as he will never hit 150 GH favor for the 10HP reward
4) The main progression near the end is Vale, Shroud/Hound/VOD, Reavers refuge, Shavarath. If you leave any of those out you will really be limiting your self at the high levels. Well if you are WF or icyrainment person guess you could skip the refuge.

Absolutly Fluffy. The big thing here is he is an F2P player. The places I know I go to rack up xp to hit GH later are P2P packs. I love to farm threnal west. PTs1-2 alone n/n/n/n/h/e are good for over 100k on a non tr if you have a voice and slam an xp pot. Having never been an F2P player Im not sure where without packs he woulf get the xp. I know I get it out of Necro, the desert and the above mentioned threnals.

So the question for him is where can he as an F2P without buying more packs get the xp for the vale by skipping GH? If we can figure that out then we can have him grab the vale then pick up GH as his next pack.

Cheers.

mindlessdrone1991
05-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Any suggestions on where to get the xp to get up to level 13 or 14 to start the vale? SC, gwylans, tear, etc can get me to maybe 10 or 11(?), but then it's still kind of a big gap in experience.

Lagin
05-19-2010, 11:20 PM
GH for sure!

Mainly, because its a great place to hone your gaming skills.
GH has the most diverse series of quests in the game.
And as stated before the XP is good. After you milk the hell out of it, then buy vale.
PS, go back and get all the favor you can, I mean max it out, from Korthos to GH, then use those points to buy both packs. Just a thought.

Angelus_dead
05-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Factor in the Madstone Boots he doesn't have and that's like 50-90 missing hp.

Brennie
05-20-2010, 12:12 AM
I'd just like to say, as a fellow low-budget player that i managed to snag both gianthold and vale without paying a cent. I *did* do the per server grind (Getting to 100-300 favor depending on how much i loved the character I made for each server *lol*) and had enough for Vale, Gianthold (both on sale... patience is a virtue, after all!) and had a couple hundred left over for me to start bankrolling my next purchase.

Its entirely doable, and not all that difficult! Waiting for the sales is the hardest part.

Paleus
05-20-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm going to weigh in as a fellow (former) F2P that has slowly accumulated several packs.

The Vale is a great pack and the place you will spend a lot of time in.

Nevertheless, from a F2P perspective I think Gianthold is the right choice. The leveling transition is smoother, there are a lot more quests (more favor), and there are quests that even lvl 20's still run (Tor scale runs and reavers fate). Vale does have the nice feature of opening up three raids, but odds are you won't be equipped or leveled enough to run them all. That leaves grinding ingredients to make greensteel.

For ease of leveling, variety, and favor easily obtained to get the TP for purchasing your next pack, I think Gianthold wins hands down from the F2P perspective.

Mackem
05-20-2010, 06:40 PM
So the question for him is where can he as an F2P without buying more packs get the xp for the vale by skipping GH? If we can figure that out then we can have him grab the vale then pick up GH as his next pack.

Cheers.

- F2P content till lvl 12 (when you can actually enter Vale): Tear, Gwylan's, Pit, Ataraxia's, Stormcleave, Tempest Spine
- lvl 12-14: Ataraxia's, Vale slayers
- lvl 14 and up: Shroud flagging quests (quite a number of groups on LFM for 14-17 range), Vale slayers, Caramol's Subterraine runs
- lvl 17+: finish off Vale slayers, Shroud, Hound, VoD etc.

Will take some time to do those slayers but doable, I am doing the same with my son's account having Vale only. I'll have it easier though as I can help him out and speed up those slayers on my capped char on my second account... Or even dual log and let him pike :P