PDA

View Full Version : Bound to account only, instead of bound to character

stevengood
05-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Would it be possible to get rid of the bound to character, and just make items bound to account?

Thanks,

Steve

Failedlegend
05-15-2010, 05:12 PM
/signed

Yeah its really annoying when get a badass greataxe or something on my wiz...loot it and its BTC not BTA.

Trillea
05-15-2010, 05:13 PM
For everything except raid loot, I can support this.

Failedlegend
05-15-2010, 05:14 PM
For everything except raid loot, I can support this.

Why not raid loot?

Minor_Threat
05-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Why not raid loot?

No one would pass raid loot anymore, even if they were very unlikely to use it.
Good luck ever pulling a decent TOD ring.

I don't see any real reason to change this. If they were smart they'd sell an unbind token in the DDO store to make a BTC a BTA item.

Trillea
05-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Why not raid loot?

If raid loot was bound to account, you would never get anything except what dropped under your name, because who says you wouldn't roll something that used it tomorrow? It's bad enough with everyone TRing. Raid loot should be need before greed, and that would go out the window if it was bound to account.

smatt
05-15-2010, 05:32 PM
COMING SOON!

To a DDO store near you! A bound item removal crystal..... YOU, YES YOU, can now change any bound to character itme to bound to account for the nominal fee of 3,000 Turbine points! :eek::rolleyes::D

Sleepingcap
05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Im guessing that it has been implemented to keep people running delera's or necropolis (not sure whether there is any BoC loot there), as they would be sending their higher level loot, that doesn't have a level restriction to their level 1 toons ending up twinking them big time.

hydra_ex
05-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Im guessing that it has been implemented to keep people running delera's or necropolis (not sure whether there is any BoC loot there), as they would be sending their higher level loot, that doesn't have a level restriction to their level 1 toons ending up twinking them big time.

Delera's is already BtA, and there's better twink loot out there.

REALb0r3d
05-15-2010, 06:33 PM
/not signed

Therilith
05-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Make the game easier... why?

This is clearly working as intended, and you have provided no convincing reason as to why it should change other than "Because it would benefit me".

Lorien_the_First_One
05-15-2010, 06:58 PM

This is clearly working as intended, and you have provided no convincing reason as to why it should change other than "Because it would benefit me".

I know you're new, but the Devs agree with this one at least to some degree. How do I know? Around when you joined they changed HUGE amounts of BtC stuff to BtA.

So is there an argument for one or two more items to change to BtA, sure. It's the same argument the Turbine Devs used when they moved most items that were BtC to BtC.

Sleepingcap
05-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Delera's is already BtA, and there's better twink loot out there.

I believe I checked the Voice of the Master today and it was still Bound to Character. Isn't that the main reason for running Delera's ^^.

hydra_ex
05-15-2010, 07:09 PM
I believe I checked the Voice of the Master today and it was still Bound to Character. Isn't that the main reason for running Delera's ^^.

True, but many of us either TR, or have vet status, so either way, we have the voice from the get-go. In other cases, though, 5% xp early on is hardly a game breaking reason not to allow BtC -> BtA conversion.

However, I'm still against it for the raid loot reasons described above.

Failedlegend
05-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Translation: If raid loot was bound to account they wouldnt give THEIR loot to ME as much anymore...so its a horrible idea

Ok first off I have no problem putting up bound loot that I cant use for roll or just to the first request or w/e but I can't stand people who EXPECT it...you should go in hoping YOUR loot is good and if someone offers up an item you wanted you should thank your lucky stars that they did...so saying somethings a bad idea based on people giving away THEIR stuff less is completely invalid.

Besides If you could share raidloot with your alts you would have more of chance of getting something you could use.

Lorien_the_First_One
05-15-2010, 07:16 PM
However, I'm still against it for the raid loot reasons described above.

I agree, raid loot should be left as is. But no reason for the rest not to be BtA. (I can sort of see the logic for the Voice and Cloak, but not much else)

Trillea
05-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Ok first off I have no problem putting up bound loot that I cant use for roll or just to the first request or w/e but I can't stand people who EXPECT it...you should go in hoping YOUR loot is good and if someone offers up an item you wanted you should thank your lucky stars that they did...so saying somethings a bad idea based on people giving away THEIR stuff less is completely invalid.

Besides If you could share raidloot with your alts you would have more of chance of getting something you could use.

I am sorry but I take MUCH exception to this. I have put up MANY pieces of raid loot for roll. I have pulled personally 4 ToD rings, and only kept one. If they were bound to account, most likely I would not have put 2 of those up for roll as some of my alts could have used them yes. This is why it should remain BtC. It removes a lot of the "greed" temptation from what I believe should be Need before Greed.

Uska
05-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Not for raid loot that should be earned plus noone would ever share again.

Uska
05-15-2010, 07:29 PM
No one would pass raid loot anymore, even if they were very unlikely to use it.
Good luck ever pulling a decent TOD ring.

I don't see any real reason to change this. If they were smart they'd sell an unbind token in the DDO store to make a BTC a BTA item.

That would proably have the same result as his idea people would pull all just incase they decided to buy one your bind changers

Uska
05-15-2010, 07:33 PM

wrong you would have less of a chance as you would only have your characters pulls forever more after

Hokiewa
05-15-2010, 07:37 PM

You don't get it.

Failedlegend
05-15-2010, 07:43 PM
I am sorry but I take MUCH exception to this. I have put up MANY pieces of raid loot for roll. I have pulled personally 4 ToD rings, and only kept one. If they were bound to account, most likely I would not have put 2 of those up for roll as some of my alts could have used them yes. This is why it should remain BtC. It removes a lot of the "greed" temptation from what I believe should be Need before Greed.

I never said you didnt do that actually quite the contrary because most people who believe that raid loot is essentially a pool for everyone who participated include their own loot in that pool I only meant that is your desicion but you shouldnt EXPECT other people to do the do the same nor should you "blacklist" people who dont share your loot for all policy and if raidloot becomes BtA than you wont require other peoples loot anyway.

In short I'm not accusing you of anything I'm just saying you should hold everyone to your playstyle nor should it be a valid reason for something not to happen in the same way that Permadeath rules shouldnt be imposed on all because some people play that way.

Hokiewa
05-15-2010, 07:55 PM
You still don't get it. A caster could simply solo most collectible quests, most raids, and simply gather gear and materials for the rest of his account. It takes away from group play, which is a design goal of this game.

Trillea
05-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I never said you didnt do that actually quite the contrary because most people who believe that raid loot is essentially a pool for everyone who participated include their own loot in that pool I only meant that is your desicion but you shouldnt EXPECT other people to do the do the same nor should you "blacklist" people who dont share your loot for all policy and if raidloot becomes BtA than you wont require other peoples loot anyway.

In short I'm not accusing you of anything I'm just saying you should hold everyone to your playstyle nor should it be a valid reason for something not to happen in the same way that Permadeath rules shouldnt be imposed on all because some people play that way.

I would not expect to make many raiding friends with a philosphy like that.

Rabbi_Hordo
05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
/not signed

Yes.
Ftw.

Hokiewa
05-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Lol, it's pretty clear that.....he.....well, you know....:D

Lorien_the_First_One
05-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Lol, it's pretty clear that.....he.....well, you know....:D

When consdering "failedlegand" I can't help but think some people picked their online names well.

Hokiewa
05-15-2010, 08:03 PM
When consdering "failedlegand" I can't help but think some people picked their online names well.

Lol, regardless this will never happen. I'd love to run particular collection quests on my sorc and pass out the results to all my toons on every server.

Trillea
05-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Lol, regardless this will never happen. I'd love to run particular collection quests on my sorc and pass out the results to all my toons on every server.

*cough*EyeOfTheTitan*cough*

Failedlegend
05-15-2010, 08:21 PM

Wow you really dont read do you I said "I have NO problem putting things up for roll that I can't use but I cant stand when people EXPECT it (ie. starting to roll before I even offer it for roll or someone going in thinking ok I have 12 chances for the item I want)"

IRL if I do a friend a favor hes probably gonna do me a favor in return but I'm not gonna get angry if he doesn't.

@Howieka - Nice point on the soloing to twink out toons that would be a problem

Trillea
05-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Wow you really dont read do you I said "I have NO problem putting things up for roll that I can't use but I cant stand when people EXPECT it (ie. starting to roll before I even offer it for roll or someone going in thinking ok I have 12 chances for the item I want)"

IRL if I do a friend a favor hes probably gonna do me a favor in return but I'm not gonna get angry if he doesn't.

@Howieka - Nice point on the soloing to twink out toons that would be a problem

The problem for you here is that like it or not, it IS expected by probably 85% of the raiding community (if not more) that if the character you are on when the *insert random raid loot here* drops for you, if the character that you are oncannot use it, it will be put up for roll. Whether this is rolled to guildies 1st, rolled to the group in general, or what have you if you cannot use it, it should be put up for roll. This is understood by most raiding people. If the BtC was to be changed to BtA, this longstanding tradition of putting others' need before your short-term need for cash with something that would be vendored would be dead and gone. This is what should be prevented.

TheJusticar
05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Would it be possible to get rid of the bound to character, and just make items bound to account?

Thanks,

Steve

/negative not signed.

There is a reason why items are bound to character. Each character EARNS it. It's soulbound, so to speak. Why should any of my other characters get access to GS weaps or items that one of my other characters had to sweat to get? Why should my up-and-coming sorc get a +4 CHA tome that my Monk raid looted instead of putting it up for roll for someone who can use it? Why should a character that has never stepped in the shroud get a pair of LighningII Kopeshes I was able to craft with my other toons? It simple makes no sense. What makes those items special is that each character needs to get them. A lot of people would right out stop raiding if something like this is ever put in place.

Therilith
05-15-2010, 08:52 PM
I know you're new, but the Devs agree with this one at least to some degree. How do I know? Around when you joined they changed HUGE amounts of BtC stuff to BtA.

So is there an argument for one or two more items to change to BtA, sure. It's the same argument the Turbine Devs used when they moved most items that were BtC to BtC.

And that argument is?

Failedlegend
05-15-2010, 08:55 PM
The problem for you here is that like it or not, it IS expected by probably 85% of the raiding community (if not more) that if the character you are on when the *insert random raid loot here* drops for you, if the character that you are oncannot use it, it will be put up for roll. Whether this is rolled to guildies 1st, rolled to the group in general, or what have you if you cannot use it, it should be put up for roll. This is understood by most raiding people. If the BtC was to be changed to BtA, this longstanding tradition of putting others' need before your short-term need for cash with something that would be vendored would be dead and gone. This is what should be prevented.

Ok random statistic aside...if i ever raid with one of your toons ill put up anything i dont need for roll (which i always do) and than i will roll on everything you looted that I want...and you'd have zero problem handing it ovet to me or whoever won the roll....so say by some crazy luck all the raid loot that pertains to a my toon drops and its 3 items and I somehow win all three and it was the only non vendor trash loot that would be ok....it should be according to your playstyle.

Uska
05-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Ok random statistic aside...if i ever raid with one of your toons ill put up anything i dont need for roll (which i always do) and than i will roll on everything you looted that I want...and you'd have zero problem handing it ovet to me or whoever won the roll....so say by some crazy luck all the raid loot that pertains to a my toon drops and its 3 items and I somehow win all three and it was the only non vendor trash loot that would be ok....it should be according to your playstyle.

yes if you won the rolls it would be fine I saw someone win rolls for the thane set in VoD and noone was crying about and the person was happy to win their set in their first run through and no they werent a rogue.

Trillea
05-15-2010, 09:01 PM

You are STILL missing the point. I specifically said loot THAT YOU CANNOT USE. If your character can use it, and it falls to you, you take it. IF YOU CANNOT USE IT PUT IT UP FOR ROLL.

Edit: In your example, if the people put it up for roll, and you won all 3 rolls, then yes you can get all 3 items. Some may disagree with me here but that's the luck of the dice.

Failedlegend
05-15-2010, 09:15 PM
You are STILL missing the point. I specifically said loot THAT YOU CANNOT USE. If your character can use it, and it falls to you, you take it. IF YOU CANNOT USE IT PUT IT UP FOR ROLL.

Edit: In your example, if the people put it up for roll, and you won all 3 rolls, then yes you can get all 3 items. Some may disagree with me here but that's the luck of the dice.

Hmmmm.....I give up I guess seems like I'm a peasent addressing the high council...I guess I'll just have to bend to your way than.

Oh and because of Howikes (and a few others) comments about twinking I /sign the OPs idea except for raid loot

Note: I just want to again clarify I do put up things for roll I cant use I just thought it was wrong to look at others loot as my own...but theres no point nothing I say will change your minds

Note2: You may have missed me saying this earlier but I was mostly complaining about people who roll even b4 an item is offered or roll because they belive they can utilize a drop "better" than you ie. a wiz/rog gets kundarek delving goggles and a rog immeadiatly claiming he needs it more

Skirmish
05-15-2010, 09:16 PM
I am the example people are mentioning in many posts.

I still give away a lot of gear that anyone else in the party can use if they need it. (example being the Mindsunder, where your mindsunder chest rewards are BtA) But, I still hoard far more gear I 'might' use later or that I can use for an alt when I do my solo/farming runs than I used to. I looted the Phoenix Regalia twice now I gave one away and kept another as I have use for it on an alt once they are leveled up about 10 more levels.

I'm fine with many rewards being BtC. The first thing I did when hitting the new quests in the Market for favor was to take all that BtA loot that had no minimal level and hand it down to my low level toons. First new toon created after than had Feather Fall, Proof Against Poison, nicked weapons, several resist casting items, and more as soon as she stepped off the boat. Seriously turned the low level game into nothing but a quick slaughter.

I still remember when almost all the end loot from chains was BtC and you didn't start the game with more than some rusty gear. It was actually something just to loot anything better than a masterwork weapon in the first set of Goodblade quests. (back when they were a challenge/you could fail them on normal if you didn't have a party)

The game has gotten far easier over the last couple years (with the Korthos/DDO:EU relaunch especially) to keep those that came over from all the big Monty-Hall games interested as they are used to everything being a cake walk. It's the same kind of thing that happened to SW: Galaxies. They realized they had a complex game that took more than 2min to fully understand and dumbed the game down repeatedly until they finally turned it upside down, torqued off their primary player base, and drove off most of their business in favor of hoping to get a quick influx of younger newer players. Many of which still thought it was hard and didn't hang around.Hopefully, turbine will not follow their example to the same extreme.
(By comparison the DDO:EU relaunch is far different from the Galaxies NGE debacle. DDO was tweaked a bit quest-wise with Korthos added and the F2P option being made available. It was nowhere near as bad as the NGE changes that not only destroyed the entire player-driven economy. But, altered the entire game from top to bottom including wrecking the character creation system and most of the game mechanics.)

I always believed that BtA was added simply because it was hard to loot a lot of named items once with a single character, much less for all of them. So it's a benefit, that like many, was a gift from the dev's that now everyone wants to be everywhere. Anytime the players of any game are given the slightest perk, within a week it's not good enough and has to be expanded on.

Some dumbing down was needed in this day and age where almost everyone expects instant gratification and everything to just be handed to them when they are on the street, much less in a game. But, there is a point where they should stop adding more to the easy button.

Dragonhyde
05-15-2010, 09:36 PM
COMING SOON!

To a DDO store near you! A bound item removal crystal..... YOU, YES YOU, can now change any bound to character itme to bound to account for the nominal fee of 3,000 Turbine points! :eek::rolleyes::D

you forgot the small print...will only be bound to acocunt before it is transferred once the new character has the item back to bound to character.....that way you have to keep coming back to the store:eek:

Hokiewa
05-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Hmmmm.....I give up I guess seems like I'm a peasent addressing the high council...I guess I'll just have to bend to your way than.

Oh and because of Howikes (and a few others) comments about twinking I /sign the OPs idea except for raid loot

Peasant.....Passive aggressive much? You have missed the entire point over and over and over again. You don't have to bend to anything, it will not change.

stormarcher
05-15-2010, 09:48 PM
If They Were Smart They'd Sell An Unbind Token In The Ddo Store To Make A Btc A Bta Item.

Great Idea!