PDA

View Full Version : Questing like this is what permadeath is all about.

~Zornochio
05-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Over in The Sublime on Thelanis we have a static group of 6 called The Sitting Ducks, we try to push oursleves as far as we can go and have been having a blast doing it. We just lost 4 of the 6 tonight but It was an amazing run that will be hard to forget

The Sitting Ducks were heading into The Necromancer's Doom but the recently re-rolled Urbanlegend was still only level 4 and couldn't get in, so we decided to run Delera's Elite. At level 4-5 . Part 1 went well but part 2 was level 9 and very long.

First we lost Tupe's cleric to a cloudkill cast by a named CR 14 Arcane Blackbone, he came back with a 3 cleric and we pushed on. Next to fall was Ur's wizard to an acid arrow and two lightning bolts. Command Undead was the main reason we had gotten as far as we did but we decided to keep going.

With no CC we tried to range the next Arcane. We took it out but lost Roubaix to a critical hit when the other skeletons caught up to him. He switched over to Picardy (another 5 Bard) and we pushed on.

We got to the 2nd to last room and things were looking good for us. Then the last door opened up and..... o.O CR 18 named wraith! What the hell, we made it this far lets go for it. We managed to get Delera out of her room but were spotted by her friends during the fight. Things were a little chaotic then We managed to clean up the skeletons but Tupe and Picardy were killed by Delera, spawning two more wraiths for us to deal with.

Dillinger got Delera's agro and ran around like a chicken with it's head cut off hoping Arch and Vinney could take care of the other wraiths in time. "Jump over the edge if you are in trouble" said Dillinger. Then he plummeted 3 stories to his death because he missed the platform below . Vinney and Arch made it to the safety of the water water, but we're not done yet!

Instead of counting their blessings and recalling to safety, Arch and Vinney jumped back into the fight to kill Tupe and Picardy's wraiths. Then Arch poped a Tasty Ham and they KILLED DELERA A level 5 Fighter and a level 5 Ranger vs a CR 18 Wraith.

Ok, so it may be an extreme example :), but permadeath makes every quest an adventure.

parvo
05-13-2010, 11:55 PM
That's awesome. It's even better when those brutal runs end in victory but when they don't you learn so much. You react faster and better the next go. A character dies but the player grows. Good luck with the challenge group.

Ghirmeshk
05-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Incredible. Those are the moments I love the most!

Loki
05-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Over in The Sublime on Thelanis we have a static group of 6 called The Sitting Ducks, we try to push oursleves as far as we can go and have been having a blast doing it. We just lost 4 of the 6 tonight but It was an amazing run that will be hard to forget

Ok, so it may be an extreme example :), but permadeath makes every quest an adventure.
Awesome. +1 to you. +1 for the rest of the group if they stop in here

Yazston_the_Invoker
05-14-2010, 01:26 PM

VERY cool... This is what makes me want to try permadeath on a toon or two, but for someone who is still learning life past lv10, it's probably not the best idea...

dominp
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
VERY cool... This is what makes me want to try permadeath on a toon or two, but for someone who is still learning life past lv10, it's probably not the best idea...

Always a good time to try permadeath....if you have a slot clear on Argo you should roll up a new toon and send someone in MV a tell. You can check out our guild rules at http://www.mortalvoyage.com/rules.php

JustWinBaby
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM

PnP D&D was all about Permadeath, and we had no idea what the quests/dungeons we're gonna be like :)

Chai
05-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Copy / paste from a previous thread with a few minor additions.

I had just looted the featherfalling ring about 10 minutes earlier, and I used it to jump to safety after everyone else was far enough away from the CR 18 wraith.

After eating a ham, and pulling Delera out of the room and running her down the stairs to fight her alone, and jumping into the water to recoup, we made the decision to jump back into the fight, do or die style. The two of us that were alive could have easily ran all the way back to the exit and left. Instead, we had a bone to pick with the monster that just wiped out more than half the group.

I had to time my heal potion consumption for times when the wraith did her disappearing act. We fought her scorched earth style. When one of us got to low health, we gave ground in order to drink heal potions and stay alive. We finally killed her on a staircase roughly halfway back to the quest entrance.

My comment in chat previous to pulling Delera stands as a perfect explanation of the challenge we faced. "Thats a CR 18 mob? Did we jump into the @#$%ing shroud by accident? I thought we were running Deleras."

Yazston_the_Invoker
05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
PnP D&D was all about Permadeath, and we had no idea what the quests/dungeons we're gonna be like :)

Ahh, but PnP is a different beast entirely...there, you could actually use tactics and feats/abilities that are useless in DDO. Plus, imagination plays a part, and you can take time to think about things if necessary.

You are correct, however, and in fact, one of my favorite 3.5 settings, Midnight, is permadeath, period. No raising or resurrection at all...only thing that you CAN do is, if the DM allows it, come back as Fell (intelligent zombie-like undead), but if you die as Fell, that's it, and since healing is rare anyway, healing as an undead creature that does not regen is almost impossible. ;)

Yazston_the_Invoker
05-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Always a good time to try permadeath....if you have a slot clear on Argo you should roll up a new toon and send someone in MV a tell. You can check out our guild rules at http://www.mortalvoyage.com/rules.php

Definitely intriguing, but for now, I'm focusing on capping at least one toon and learning the ins and outs of healing/casting, which I'm still not good at. Perhaps if MV and DDO are still around when I do so, I'll give it a try. I definitely like the idea, the rules appeal to me, and I DO like Parvo's posts when I see him on the forums. ;)

only thing that scares me is the "no consumables" rule...my melees live and die by their pots...but I DO like the group-think mentality that probably creates.

Temko
05-14-2010, 05:09 PM
My comment in chat previous to pulling Delera stands as a perfect explanation of the challenge we faced. "Thats a CR 18 mob? Did we jump into the @#$%ing shroud by accident? I thought we were running Deleras."

Make me giggle.
i love running insane stuff.

Delera at 6,
Gianthold at 10,
Daemon Queen at 9,

preferably elite on top of that of course. sometimes we get lucky, sometimes i get my a$$ chewed out... but damn it's a lot of fun.