PDA

View Full Version : High AC giving damage reduction

Seliana
05-13-2010, 08:43 PM
So it is generally accepted that high AC is basically pointless when you reach end game, and this is especially true for epic. Most people feel that damage mitigation through DR, Shield-blocking, and Healing is how many raids and epic dungeons were designed to function and that AC was thrown out the window. It is also commonly accepted that building for AC is only useful up to about level 17 or so, possibly less based on who you ask. Which brings me to an idea...

What if AC was removed as a design feature that made enemies miss on occasion, and was changed to a form of passive damage reduction instead?

This system could allow higher AC to scale giving increasing amounts of damage reduction as you placed more into it. This system could be designed so that high AC based damage reduction would not surpass the DR of characters designed for DR such as shield-blocking Paladins or Warforged Barbarians. This would give characters that have AC as part of their class features(Monks & Fighters) meaning again and not simply be a joke at level 20. The system could even scale AC based on level as well so lower AC scores on level 5 characters could still have meaning in early game.

Survival in Melee should not be limited to only DR based character classes.

xEthreal
05-13-2010, 08:50 PM
This would make me cream my pants but the odds of it happening are far beyond worse than seeing a mouse and horse make babies.

Uska
05-13-2010, 09:10 PM
NO ac and dr are seperate and should remain so you want dr build for it.

sgtcatfish
05-13-2010, 09:22 PM
NO ac and dr are seperate and should remain so you want dr build for it.

yes its true they are separate but i agree with the OP on this AC as it now is useless and whats the point of AC giving a miss chance only if the enemy mob rolls low enough. I totally agree that AC could be better than it is and giving high AC builds a passive amount of DR would make it well worth it especially for high end content other wise AC will remain useless.

also on a side note its pretty cool to see another person from Oklahoma on here

GhoulsTouch
05-13-2010, 09:32 PM
It should not be instead of...
it should be give a bonus to damage reduction every interval of (X) AC.
Players and monsters need to occasionally miss. Even at endgame.

Vinne
05-13-2010, 09:49 PM
It should not be instead of...
it should be give a bonus to damage reduction every interval of (X) AC.
Players and monsters need to occasionally miss. Even at endgame.

Agree

Retsam
05-13-2010, 10:01 PM
go grab your old D&D 3.5 books.

Unearthed arcana is the one you're looking for.. flip to page 111-112

This section that is literally titled "Armor as Damages Reduction"

Its a rule variant but its a cool idea.. though it doesnt fall under the
Open Gaming license (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Gaming_License), so i doubt Turbine or DDO will ever be able to use it as described.

Books that currently fall under that category are:
* Player's Handbook
* Dungeon Master's Guide
* Monster Manual
* Epic Level Handbook
* Deities and Demigods
* Expanded Psionics Handbook

^_^

QuantumFX
05-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Its a rule variant but its a cool idea.. though it doesnt fall under the
Open Gaming license (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Gaming_License), so i doubt Turbine or DDO will ever be able to use it as described.

Turbine can use it. DDO is a fully licensed D&D based product. Otherwise we wouldn’t be in Eberron, or have Beholders.

As to the OP: I would rather Turbine take a good, long look at how their house rules have totally taken the AC/to Hit arms race to absurd levels.