PDA

View Full Version : Add a Thievery Ability.

Ode1st
05-08-2010, 02:50 AM
I really wish some kind of steal ability existed for rogues. I guess due to how the game is set up, it'd steal treasure bags from mobs and possibly a bit of copper/silver/gold/play/whatever.

How I'm thinking it could work would be the thief has to be sneaking and unnoticed, then he/she could just walk up to the mob, press the steal icon on the hotbar, and there'd be a higher chance to nab a treasure bag from an NPC.

One thing I always loved about pen and paper D&D was being able to steal or pull of heists. Would add a nice little extra layer to the game here.

DoctorWhofan
05-08-2010, 02:56 AM
I'm ok not having it here. It would cause too many problems.

Purgatory
05-08-2010, 03:13 AM
If rogs could pick pocket mobs then i would role up a rog to play!

It wouldnt be a good idea to beable to pick pocket other players, this not a pvp game. But those mobs that drop keys when killed? Why can't they just be pick pocketed for the key instead? let mobs drop stuff when killed besides just collectables like barrels drop and then let that loot be able to be pick pocketed also, with out killing the mob.

Rogs would be a ton of fun if you could sneak threw a dungeon pick pocketing mobs as you go :). offcourse if you fail your pick pocket you got a fight on your hands.

Make bluff usefull! bluff then pickpocket to increase your modifier

Ellistran
05-08-2010, 03:25 AM
I've always thought that was somethong missing from DDO. It would be fun to be able to go into sneak mode and "Attack"/ "Pick Pocket" a monster like the assassinate abilty but have him drop a tresure bag where all parties could click on it and get a collectable or instead get just a few gold pieces. Not having this fun little ability really Grinds my Gears.

Dandonk
05-08-2010, 03:30 AM
I can see the attraction of pick pocketing, but it would really lead to a lot more strife than the value of anything the pick pocketing would bring. Especially if it was to work from sneak only/better from sneak. Noone would want rogues in their party since all they'd do was sneak around and no contribute to killing mobs.

Purgatory
05-08-2010, 03:44 AM
I can see the attraction of pick pocketing, but it would really lead to a lot more strife than the value of anything the pick pocketing would bring. Especially if it was to work from sneak only/better from sneak. Noone would want rogues in their party since all they'd do was sneak around and no contribute to killing mobs.
On the contrary, If a rog could get keys that are required to continue on a quest with out wasting resources on a elite/epic fight I would want one in my party

Dandonk
05-08-2010, 03:59 AM
On the contrary, If a rog could get keys that are required to continue on a quest with out wasting resources on a elite/epic fight I would want one in my party

Good point. What I read from the OP was that he wanted to steal collectable item sort of things, and cash, though. Which was what my post was against.

Arcticwarrior
05-08-2010, 08:38 AM
It would make it good for the rogue, but at the same time people would start playing all rogues for free money. Sure it could be like 10pp per elite (lvl 14-18) creature but that would be alot considering how many quests you would have to do to get lvl 20. Once level 20 with pickpocket skill you would be rich and thus unbalance the game. Also it would cause alot of glitches for the game.

calavel
05-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Pick pocket would be great in an RP game.

This game is 99.99% hack 'n' slash though...

dunklezhan
05-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Pick pocket would be great in an RP game.

This game is 99.99% hack 'n' slash though...

yes. but its still Dungeons and Dragons. Constant disappointment to me how much DDO actually prevents decent roleplay when you consider its origins. That's by the by though. We're talking about pickpocketing. They were able to manage it in Baldur's Gate, I find it hard to beleive it couldn't have been implemented in DDO.

Do I think its a priority? No, of course not. Would I like it added to the wish list for Rogues to be able to PP mobs - hell yeah.

AdahnX
05-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Constant disappointment to me how much DDO actually prevents decent roleplay when you consider its origins.

You know, I've been thinking that just about since I got here. In fact it seems like RP is a bad word here, despite it being a MMORPG. Wondering if that's primarily because of player attitudes or game design.

Anyway, as to the OP, I was never a big fan of Pickpocketing in other D&D games, but I can still see the appeal. Maybe the equivalent of breakables, or slightly less, otherwise I think it would imbalance things in favor of Rogues, who are already a leading DPS class, and as Dandonk stated, it would annoy party members if all they did was sneak around and pick pocket. But on the other hand, it would help give sneakers back some of the money that they lose out on by not smashing breakables.

I think, personally, that it would work best if they changed it so that every mob had a chance for a drop equivalent to a breakable or collectible, and pick pocketing just allowed you to access these items without defeating them. Yes, it means that someone who kills every monster and smashes every breakable would walk away from a quest with significantly more money, but it takes time and resources to do all that and I think that people who are thorough in their exploration of a quest should start getting rewarded as opposed to gearing everything towards Zergers.

In any event, I think that it should work through either the Bluff or Stealth skills, or be an ability inherent to the rogue class, or perhaps an enhancement, rather than introducing the pickpocket/slight of hand skill.

Maitland
05-08-2010, 10:10 AM
I remember another game where you could pick
the pockets of mobs...was like this game but not
half as good..cant remember the name of it though.
You could pick the monster dry then kill him..
Be a fun thing to have i think...

Bluntt Roller

GhoulsTouch
05-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Maybe incorporate a few "pickpocket" quests which tests one's bluff and sneak skills in order to retrieve a key or something along those lines. The choices would be to sneak and try to retrieve the key, or fail and have to face the brute, maybe after he throws or swallows the key.

Leighter
05-08-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree with most of you. The rogue lacks something in this game. The rogue is not a great combatant so up to a certain point solo is pretty much out of the question. So its follow along with a group to disarm and unlock.

Being able to pick pockets would add alot more suspense to the game for rogues. I would like to be able to pick the pockets of monsters and NPC's anywhere. C'mon admit it their theives! You should be able to go to theives and get loot that most can't get. Stealing from NPC's and monsters would be great! Theives could come up with some interesting loot for people to use.

The last MMORPG that I played was ULTIMA Online. The theif was able to pick players pockets in the PVP side of the world. Pick chests in game (though the loot was not very good). There was alot of suspense in that game for theives. I like DDO but it is mostly hack and slash and that "grind" is getting a bit old.

The game is still fairly new so I hope that it expands into something that has many more facets to explore that just hack and slash.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Rav'n
05-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Pick pocketing Items needed to complete a quest (Pass Codes, Rings, Keys etc).../SIGNED!!

Pick pocketing treasure/items to sell...etc /Not signed.