PDA

View Full Version : confused about "what is gimped"

Darconeious
05-06-2010, 01:51 PM
as i read through the threads on good/great DPS in the ranger fourm the obvious is that ranger DPS is only as good as the build depending on prestiege - char. type - stat points, gimped or not. looking at AC, as a ranger its going to be tough to get good AC, and a must to stay light to even maintain decent DPS. unless a tempest? but as with any char.especially rangers haveing TWF / ITWF and so on, you would think DPS would not be a probem but it seems that it is. is that true for any char?
1- so what is good/great str?
2- so what is good/ great dex?
3- so what is good/ great con?
4- what is considerd gimped in any of these 3?
i would think that str. and dex. would be equally as high as you coud get them but some are saying the high str just gimps the char. what does that mean?
if your end gm st 35 and dex is 35 is that good,bad,ugly?
i started a human ranger and always got hit and couldnt hit anything even using a bow at lv 5 dumped him for my now dwarf. my concern is that it seems that nobody likes to play with rangers cause the bow DPS is weak, and certain stratagy game play. so i thought to build a str base good fighter, stay in line as a AA cause i like the whole arrow/embue thing, but just focus on better melee and the ranged will just fall into place.
is there a limit to str where it no longer does any good and the same for dex?
just wandering how these things will work out?
maybe should have been a fighter shooting a heavy repeater BUT i like the whole arrow/embue thing,want to stay pure AA.
guess i want all my eggs in one basket.
any comments/advise welcome
thanks

karnokvolrath
05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Q. confused about "what is gimped"
A. Any Charicter thats not teh uberest.

On a serious note, if you want a TWF the general thing i stick to is get around a 15 starting dex (if you plan on the +2 tome), then get STR at about 16, im not a big fan of 18str because it streatches everything else out so thing, namely con and int.

Edit, What they mean about Gimping it, is that the last two points of STR from 16 to 18 actully cost 6 build points. Hence "gimping" his other stats.

KingOfCheese
05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
The answer will always be: "it depends." This unsatisfactory answer is the result of a very satisfactory part of the game: there are a gazillion different ways to make a character--many of them good.

Here's my general answers.

1) STR

If it is an STR build--start at at least 16 with the goal of ending up in the 30s. If it is a dex-based build, you still want to get the STR eventually in to the mid to high 20s with gear.

2) DEX

If it is DEX based--as high as you can get it. Start at at least 16. If it is STR based, you still want to get your dex into at least the mid 20s to boost your reflex save and give you a decent to-hit when using a bow.

3) CON

12 should be the minimum. Ideally at least 14.

If you end up at 35 STR and 35 DEX--that is wicked good.

Ultimately, whatever stat your to-hit is based on (STR or DEX) should be as high as possible. And then the other one can be lower--but shouldn't be skimped on.

grodon9999
05-06-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm a broken record but you CANNOT go wrong with this: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=168687

Darconeious
05-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm a broken record but you CANNOT go wrong with this: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=168687

that is an awesome build ! on a secondary note thats pretty weak comparitively speaking i picked up some + 2 AC braccers for cheap cheap thinking it would increase my AC BY 2 which for some reason didnt do sh__! the hope to hit 30 w/o a shield was intreaging , but never happed i just got rid of the stinking things . was the game just slow? or do bracer not stack with any thing ?

grodon9999
05-06-2010, 02:55 PM
that is an awesome build ! on a secondary note thats pretty weak comparitively speaking i picked up some + 2 AC braccers for cheap cheap thinking it would increase my AC BY 2 which for some reason didnt do sh__! the hope to hit 30 w/o a shield was intreaging , but never happed i just got rid of the stinking things . was the game just slow? or do bracer not stack with any thing ?

Bracers do not stack with armor, both give an "armor" bonus.

Emili
05-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Armour bracers and Armour are the same type ac so do not stack. You wew most likely wearing armour at the time?

Darconeious
05-06-2010, 04:44 PM
The answer will always be: "it depends." This unsatisfactory answer is the result of a very satisfactory part of the game: there are a gazillion different ways to make a character--many of them good.

Here's my general answers.

1) STR

If it is an STR build--start at at least 16 with the goal of ending up in the 30s. If it is a dex-based build, you still want to get the STR eventually in to the mid to high 20s with gear.

2) DEX

If it is DEX based--as high as you can get it. Start at at least 16. If it is STR based, you still want to get your dex into at least the mid 20s to boost your reflex save and give you a decent to-hit when using a bow.

3) CON

12 should be the minimum. Ideally at least 14.

If you end up at 35 STR and 35 DEX--that is wicked good.

Ultimately, whatever stat your to-hit is based on (STR or DEX) should be as high as possible. And then the other one can be lower--but shouldn't be skimped on.

when i rolled the present char starting stats
str-15 / dex-16 / con-16 / int-10 / wis-12 / car-6
now at lv 9
str-22 (+3 enchancment/2 lv up pnts/+2 tome)
dex-21 (+2 enchantment/+1enhancment/+2 tome)
con-19 (+1 enchantment/+2tome)
int-12 (+2 tome)
wis-14 (+2 tome
car-8 (+2 tome)
the goal is to hit str and dex around 34-36 hope i can make that happen "wicked good" sounds very good!

Rydin_Dirtay
05-06-2010, 05:30 PM
You started at 15 STR, +5 levelups, +6 item, +2 rage, +2 rams, +2 tome = 32 STR easily obtainable w/common items
Sounds like you are ok.