PDA

View Full Version : Can we please get a projected spell targeting reticule for the CLIENT

Chaosprism
05-04-2010, 05:24 AM
This should be optional in the gameplay or ui options.

But it'd be really helpful to have a spell targetting disc. where your mouse pointer is, showing yoiu where the spell will be cast.

SOmthing like a radar target, with 3 different colours showing 10', 20', 30' radius.

It would be turned on automatically when you get spellpoints of some sort.

people who dont like it, would turn it off, but i'm sure most would love this.

Aesop
05-04-2010, 05:43 AM
This should be optional in the gameplay or ui options.

But it'd be really helpful to have a spell targetting disc. where your mouse pointer is, showing yoiu where the spell will be cast.

SOmthing like a radar target, with 3 different colours showing 10', 20', 30' radius.

It would be turned on automatically when you get spellpoints of some sort.

people who dont like it, would turn it off, but i'm sure most would love this.

If its got a range radius on it ... Rogues would like it too. no Spell Points needed

Aesop

Depravity
05-04-2010, 06:06 AM

One small problem - your mouse pointer has nothing whatsoever to do with where your spell is going to hit. If you use mouselook (either "t" or click and hold a mouse button, which button changes depending on input scheme) you'll get a tiny little circle in the middle of the screen. Wherever a line drawn from your viewpoint through that circle hits a solid object is where your spell lands, assuming you don't have something targeted. That point persists even when not in mouselook, there's just no circle on screen.
If you've been expecting your mouse pointer to have something to do with targeting beyond clicking on an enemy, that may be the source of some of your frustration.

That aside, this would be a very handy tool for many people. We might want one that's centered on self, as well, for the intim/diplo/ranged sneak attack crowd. Since that point is easy to compute on client end, it wouldn't even cost server cycles.

The big question is whether the devs will be willing to be pinned down on exactly what "30 feet" is. :) That, and it would be a handy tool for sniffing out the edges of level geometry, revealing the full extent of all the "invisible walls" hidden throughout Stormreach and environs.

/signed (well, I would have had it been all petition-y)

Chaosprism
05-04-2010, 08:55 AM
The reticule is where your spell hits I guess, but i'd like to see the icon resized etc based on distance, actually projected on the scenery.

Sure rogues could have it also, especially if they add throwable grenades in future.

Make it simply a UI option. Turned off by default except for mana pool guys, rogues could just go turn it on.

Depravity
05-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Sorry, saw an error, put on my pedant hat and leapt for it. Bad habit of mine.

I do agree that it would be an incredibly nice thing to have for casters.
A potential refinement: have it center on any creature you're currently hard targeting, so that you know where that fireball/mass suggestion/etc is going to hit when you aren't firing something off line of sight.

Chaosprism
05-05-2010, 08:03 AM
The reticule SHOULD always reflect where the next AREA of effect spell you cast will go.

SO yeah if a buddy gets in the way and the fireball will detonate on your friends face then the reticule (radar projection) should be there :)

DracoRhys
05-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Something else that would be nice for aimed spells is to be able to select a spell like a weapon, and have the action/attack mouse button fire it off rather than having to click the spell slot or corresponding number.