PDA

View Full Version : Main Storyline: A suggestion

vettkinn
05-04-2010, 05:00 AM
Comrades, DDO needs to have a good "main storyline". I know that all quests have a story in them: The infiltrators from Sharn, Mummy man and his ambitions for godhood, the Xoriat Cult, etc. The most noticeable of these is the Stormreaver storyline, which is referenced a lot in the lower and mid levels and continues .

However, these storylines are actually too short and they hardly control the events in the game. If someone is to summarize the game's story for others, they would probably say:

People got stranded in some village and started killing fishmen, then kobolds, then orcs, then hobgoblins, then giants, then dragons, then demons, and they grind happily ever after and stuff

The devs (or the writers, if any) can either make an ubervillain or turn one of the current villains into an uber villain. If the current main storyline revolves around the Giants, Dragons and the Stormreaver, then it should get more "candy" such as cutscenes or movie clips like the intro.

mediocresurgeon
05-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Hmm... doesn't Sor'Jek count as a BBEG (Big Bad Evil Guy)? He's a recurring enemy, and I don't think we've seen the last of him... or the Truthful One (the most-anticipated raid boss to-date).

Kriogen
05-04-2010, 05:22 AM
DDO has so called main storyline. It actually has more then one. Or maybe it's just one and i can't spot the connection.

It has something to do with the some sort of Prophecy. Something about acient invasion from outer space and how dragons and giants wanted to stop it, plan worked, but with side effects. Has alot to do with Velah reading some old books in Kundarak vaults, old titanic machines from that old war, Stormreaver, undead giants and undead dragons.

Im not sure about all, but "raids" and flaging for raids have a lot to do with main storyline.

Unfortunately this is not marked in quest journal. Story is there, just not "marked".

rossiza
05-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Ok, Scene 1:

Your an adventurer, adventuring for loot and gold.

Fin.

Tada. :)

Lorien_the_First_One
05-04-2010, 06:24 AM
You aren't paying enough attention. There is definately a main storyline. There are several threads that continue to weave and interweave starting at Korthos and moving all the way up to L20.

Not everything is connected to it, but if you are reading the quest stories its hard to miss.

Here is a quick outline, I'm missing several of the related sideplots:

The Necropolis storyline starts at low level (L6 I think) and takes you through to a L16(?) raid where you face off against the Black Abbot who is trying to achieve godhood.

At level 8-10 you will run the Tempist Spine raid, where you will face Sorjek, a pretender to the Storm Reaver who is bent on evil domination and whom you must kill.

At L8-12 you will run the Vault of the Night series which ends in fight where you kill a red dragon who insists she came to save Eberson

At L10-12 you will encounter the Giant Hold, where you will learn that you probably shouldn't have killed that red dragon as she really did come to save us. Her student, a blue dragon who comes to you in humanoid form, engages you to continue the fight that the Red Dragon started. During the quests you will encounter two chars you first met in the VON series and eventually face off against the real Storm Reaver, a hero from past stories who for some reason seems bent on destroying Stormreach.

At L14-16 you will enter the Vale of Twilight where you will discover that your kiling of the Black Abbot has actually provided an opportunity for an invasion force from the plane of Shavarath. You will face three raids to defeat this invasion, and you will only be able to banish two of the raid bosses to their home plane, not kill them.

Also at L14-16 another dragon will arrive in humanoid form and after hearing about your previous work against the Reaver they will recruit you and you will discover that the Storm Reaver has retreated to the Reavers Refuge where you will aid him in saving stormreach by facing off against a now more powerful Sorjek. You will see the Korthos white dragon make another appearance in this quest chain.

L16-20 you will take the battle to save Eberon to Shavarath itself. Two of the raid bosses from the invasion will appear again, along with new more powerful enemies

vettkinn
05-04-2010, 06:32 AM
DDO has so called main storyline. It actually has more then one. Or maybe it's just one and i can't spot the connection.

It has something to do with the some sort of Prophecy. Something about acient invasion from outer space and how dragons and giants wanted to stop it, plan worked, but with side effects. Has alot to do with Velah reading some old books in Kundarak vaults, old titanic machines from that old war, Stormreaver, undead giants and undead dragons.

Im not sure about all, but "raids" and flaging for raids have a lot to do with main storyline.

Unfortunately this is not marked in quest journal. Story is there, just not "marked".

Indeed, I'm pretty sure that the main storyline made by the Turbine comrades is the Stormreaver one.

But I wonder, since (I think) Eberron is owned by Wizards of the Coast, I wonder if they need to have some sort of permission to add lore or change lore in the world. As opposed to WoW, Blizzard can do whatever they want with their game (kill Ilidan, then make Ilidan alive again, introduce aliens, spaceships, motorbikes, etc.).

Talon_Moonshadow
05-04-2010, 06:42 AM
I don't think we need one main sorty line. I think we do already have a few good ones going on.

I do wish there was a consolidated source of the story lines that was viewable somewhere.

One of my complaints about the game is that I can do a quest and never know what the NPCs actually told us to do...especially the ones inside the quest.
Party leader talks to NPC and it all happens so fast that we never get to even read what is going on. Plus we miss the options that the party leader chooses in the dialog. Even if we did have time to read it.

I would love to see a place on the forums to read up on the story lines.....like when I'm somewhere I cannot actually get in game to play.

Syrophir
05-04-2010, 08:44 AM
I don't think we need one main sorty line. I think we do already have a few good ones going on.

I do wish there was a consolidated source of the story lines that was viewable somewhere.

One of my complaints about the game is that I can do a quest and never know what the NPCs actually told us to do...especially the ones inside the quest.
Party leader talks to NPC and it all happens so fast that we never get to even read what is going on. Plus we miss the options that the party leader chooses in the dialog. Even if we did have time to read it.

I would love to see a place on the forums to read up on the story lines.....like when I'm somewhere I cannot actually get in game to play.

Agree.

I think it's not that people have to pay more attention maybe it's that sometimes it's almost too hard.
Quest log skips all sort of things especially what these NPC-chars say and if people have to suggest a main story then the current stories are too well hidden even it's definately not on purpose.
People can see the places pretty easily but not all parts of the story.

Memnir
05-04-2010, 08:59 AM
The game has several main narratives going - not just one. They also weave into one another, build off each other, and intersect. Which, I prefer - as it gives the Devs flexibility on what narrative to advance and give us variety in terms of adversaries and objectives.

Also, were they to add just one main storyline, it would reach a natural ending - and then we'd be left without anything left to pursue as a "main" objective. We'd be left with either lame attempts to artificially extend the story that just ended via a "surprise twist" subplot- or a disappointing attempt at bringing the main bad guy back to keep things going.

As a DM, I try to create worlds that can sustain more than just one adventure's worth of plot - and the players in the game can continue on in that setting as long as interest remains. I'm glad Turbine did likewise.

Besides, the game has little enough "endgame" content as it is - it would be a shame to reach a literal "end of game".

grodon9999
05-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Harry's story isn't over after ToD, he needs to make a comeback.

Expand on "In the Demon's den." More Amrath stuff in the Demon area would be awesome.

MalakRevan
05-04-2010, 09:08 AM
At L10-12 you will encounter the Giant Hold, where you will learn that you probably shouldn't have killed that red dragon as she really did come to save us. Her student, a blue dragon who comes to you in humanoid form, engages you to continue the fight that the Red Dragon started. During the quests you will encounter two chars you first met in the VON series and eventually face off against the real Storm Reaver, a hero from past stories who for some reason seems bent on destroying Stormreach.

Nicely done tying everything in together :) +1 for that.

Question tho, what two characters do you run into in GH from the VoN series? Haven't noticed any that I have ran into before, unless I am just being blind and ignorant.

vettkinn
05-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Also, were they to add just one main storyline, it would reach a natural ending - and then we'd be left without anything left to pursue as a "main" objective. We'd be left with either lame attempts to artificially extend the story that just ended via a "surprise twist" subplot- or a disappointing attempt at bringing the main bad guy back to keep things going.

Lol, sounds just like that other game. WoW, I mean.

Well, according to some posts in here, the longest chain / storyline apparently is the Stormreaver one. Turbine should make some ice candy out of that in the form of a cutscene / movie thingy (like the intro).

AZgreentea
05-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm not really familiar with Ebberon compared to The Forgotten Realms, so I looked it up in Wikipedia. Wikipedia actually helped me see the overall plot in the game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Eberron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warforged#History)

After I read that, I began to understand the significance between the story lines in all of the major quests. I looked back to things that NPC's had said and they all began to connect. For example, the Dragon in Misery's Peak orders the Illithid to release him (her?) because "this is not my role in the prophecy!". The important thing is to not just pay attention to the plot of the Quest, but catch all of the comments the NPC's and Monsters make when you see them in the quest.

Lorien_the_First_One
05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Nicely done tying everything in together :) +1 for that.

Question tho, what two characters do you run into in GH from the VoN series? Haven't noticed any that I have ran into before, unless I am just being blind and ignorant.

In the Cruicible you run into a little kobold (the one you can convince to break out a floor) who was the gatekeeper in Von1. It's not a big roll, more of a guest appearance.

Hmm...now I'm blanking on the second, but I could have sworn there was another...

Qzipoun
05-04-2010, 09:43 AM
In the Cruicible you run into a little kobold (the one you can convince to break out a floor) who was the gatekeeper in Von1. It's not a big roll, more of a guest appearance.

Hmm...now I'm blanking on the second, but I could have sworn there was another...

Grogan... Even if we killed him :eek:

Lorien_the_First_One
05-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Grogan... Even if we killed him :eek:

Ah, thank you! I knew there was another lol.

And killing doesn't matter, haven't you noticed all those spirit binders around town? I imagine he just remembered to bind before we killed him and he rez'd out to a tavern somewhere.

vettkinn
05-04-2010, 10:00 AM

What? I don't remember this. I'll go check once I have the time.

Lorien_the_First_One
05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
What? I don't remember this. I'll go check once I have the time.

The DM text even tells you he looks familiar when you meet him after the agility test.

MalakRevan
05-04-2010, 10:06 AM

Huh, never caught that before.....Thanks for the info. I love how all the quest storylines in DDO tie in together and also fit the lore of Eberron with the Draconic Prophecy and everything. Can't wait for more Dragonmarks and other Eberron goodies to be added. :)

Waukeen
05-04-2010, 10:18 AM
The story lines in DDO simply non-linear with web connections and options of order of completion, and whether to complete at all. This is the essence of D&D.

It seems to me through the series of you latest "suggestions" Vettkin that you might be better served either watching a movie, playing through a Final Fantasy Title, or reading a fantasy novel. All of these will have the ranged one shot kills and linear story line progression that needs to be obvious for you.

Might I suggest FF VII?

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9656/finalfantasyfuturama.jpg

Hey they look familiar too.

vettkinn
05-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Might I suggest FF VII?

Hey they look familiar too.

Oh, I was able to finish FFIX but not FFVIII. I can't recall why...

Grecan
05-04-2010, 10:39 AM
One of the things i love about soloing, is that i can take my time to read the dialogues with the NPCs (and generally take my time about everything)

However, if you consider that i haven't soloed everything i've done so far, and that i'm premium with many packs, but not all, and that i didn't purchase those packs in the right order, and that i've been doing quests randomly among those packs, you can understand that the storyline(s) have been a mess inside my head, which i don't like...

Luckily, in one of my recent visits to Reaver's Refugee, i tried to reach Thear using the steam jets... and i discovered a cave up there, where a kobold was telling a story to two other little kobolds. I sat with them and 'listened' to it, and it helped me put together many pieces of the puzzle about the dragons, the giants, the Stormreaver, the prophecy, etc...

Mister_Peace
05-04-2010, 06:26 PM
We definitely need some interaction between agents of Khyber and agents of Siberys. Also, aside from jelly cakes and PoP, there aren't any references to Syrania, Mabar, Daanvi, etc.
What about those Siberys flying kobold things?

Ranmaru2
05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh, I was able to finish FFIX but not FFVIII. I can't recall why...

It probably had to do with the fact that FF VIII is one of the WORST final fantasy games EVER made while FF IX is one of the most brilliantly made FF games that does such a great job at explaining its story that there's almost nothing left to guess at, other than how Zidane originally got onto the planet anyway, but yeah :p

Oh and bad suggestion at Final Fantasy VII...That story has more plot holes than craters on the moon. I've played most of the things surrounding FF VII, but frankly the story is still a blood boiling swamp of confusion. Its ok to start in the middle only if you have an idea what you're going to do with your prologue and epilogues, not revisit them 5 years later and attempt to come up with something to explain everything!

I'm still a little confused on all of the storyline in DDO, but Turial did have a good explanation in another thread in the past:

Story line:
Ages ago in the time of the 3 dragons there was great conflict. One is imprisoned, one guards and one flies above. The dragon below, the dragon between, and the dragon above. Kyber, Ebberon, and Sybris (sp). The draconic prophesy tells, among many things, of the stormreaver and the time of the dragons rekindled. This is what the red dragon from von was studying in the shards of sybris in the vault of night. During the original invasion of Ebberon by the Dalkeyr (sp) the giant known as the stormreaver used an ancient device to blast the moon representing the Dalkeyr plane out of the sky (leads to the 13-1 theme in Ebberon). The stormreaver was betrayed by a dragon known as "the truthful one" or something similar.

The boss from TS is who we see rising from the waters in the opening of DDO. He is a false pretender to the mantle of the stormreaver. We discover this when he is originally killed in TS. In mod 4 the stormreaver is discovered but is under the control of another force (likely the truthful one) and tries to destroy the world. Just prior to killing him the stormreaver breaks the enchantment over himself and realizes what he has done and teleports away while opening the dooms day device chamber.

Now the stormreaver is on our side and we face off against the truthful one and his undead minions.

Side note: the draconic prophesy is also written on the ebberon and kyber shards as well as the bodies of lesser races when they manifest dragonmarks.

The Vale of the Twilight series comes in as a connection to the Abbot series, while the titan is loosely connected to the Shavrath invasion series via the discovery of the Twilight Forge, which is later brought back in the Inspired Quarter.

Though the one thing that always leaves me confused is Xoriat. I realize that Xoriat uses every attempt it can to bring chaos/madness to the world, but how exactly the hound comes in and why there's a beholder on the plane of battle (New Invasion) is kind of confusing. Also, Did we slaughter every hobgoblin on Xendrik, as you would figure that after all the attacking we do of the Hobgoblins in Stormreach you'd see the goblins wanting some sort of revenge. The Threnal series just kind of dies as if it completes itself like the DQ series, so there's not much there, just like Whisperdoom.

oberon131313
05-04-2010, 09:02 PM
You aren't paying enough attention. There is definately a main storyline. There are several threads that continue to weave and interweave starting at Korthos and moving all the way up to L20.

Not everything is connected to it, but if you are reading the quest stories its hard to miss.

Here is a quick outline, I'm missing several of the related sideplots:

The Necropolis storyline starts at low level (L6 I think) and takes you through to a L16(?) raid where you face off against the Black Abbot who is trying to achieve godhood.

At level 8-10 you will run the Tempist Spine raid, where you will face Sorjek, a pretender to the Storm Reaver who is bent on evil domination and whom you must kill.

At L8-12 you will run the Vault of the Night series which ends in fight where you kill a red dragon who insists she came to save Eberson

At L14-16 you will enter the Vale of Twilight where you will discover that your kiling of the Black Abbot has actually provided an opportunity for an invasion force from the plane of Shavarath. You will face three raids to defeat this invasion, and you will only be able to banish two of the raid bosses to their home plane, not kill them.

Also at L14-16 another dragon will arrive in humanoid form and after hearing about your previous work against the Reaver they will recruit you and you will discover that the Storm Reaver has retreated to the Reavers Refuge where you will aid him in saving stormreach by facing off against a now more powerful Sorjek. You will see the Korthos white dragon make another appearance in this quest chain.

L16-20 you will take the battle to save Eberon to Shavarath itself. Two of the raid bosses from the invasion will appear again, along with new more powerful enemies
this is a good, quick overview.

SolarDawning
05-04-2010, 09:38 PM
The game does indeed have a core storyline, which covers quests at every level of the game.

In Korthos Island, you find that the island is threatened by a white dragon, Aussircaex, who is being controlled by an illithid using an ancient Quori device called a "mindsunder". More on the Quori later.

The Seal of Shan'to'Kor questline revolves around retrieving an ancient artifact of the Giant Empire, before the giants themselves are able to recover and use it to overcome their differences and combine forces.

The Sharn Syndicate pack introduces you to the dragons of Argonessen (Kear, specifically), and the Prophecy, part of which you are duped into stealing, and then recovering for Kear so that he may study it.

Quests such as Redwillow's Ruins (level 6) and Stormcleave Outpost (level 8) show the giant armies (ostensibly under the command of the Stormreaver) moving to attack Stormreach.

At level 10, you discover that the Storm Giant sorcerer, Sor'jek Incanni, has been using the legend of the Stormreaver and claiming to be that legendary hero of giantkind returned, in order to amass an army of giantkin for his own purposes. You dispatch him in the Tempest Spine raid.

In the Vault of Night series, you find that the Red Dragon Velah has captured House Kundarak's Vault of Night, a mystical bank vault in orbit around the planet, in order to study a fragment of the original Prophecy contained therein. (Presumably Velah was sent to locate it as an extension on Kear's studies of another prophecy piece from Sharn Syndacate) You find out that Velah was claiming that she needed to save Ebberon from some sort of oncoming harm.

In the Restless Isles, you are introduced to the Quori, evil outsiders from the plane of dreams who tried to conquer Ebberon tens of thousands of years ago, as they invaded and made war against the Giant empire that ruled the world.
As you eventually uncover an ancient Quori warforged factory, you dispatch their greatest surviving weapon from the war, the Warforged Titan.

In Gianthold, you discover the danger that Velah was trying to prevent: The Stormreaver himself is back! You find out that he was the legendary Giant hero who drove the Quori back and prevented them from conquering the world, however, when the Giant empire was weakened by fighting the Quori, their Elven slaves rose up and destroyed them, ending Giant rule. You also hear about the Truthful One, a dragon who allied with the Stormreaver to fight the Quori. More on him later.
The Stormreaver is uniting the different clans of giants under his banner, and has formed a gigantic giant (pun intended) army intent on destroying Stormreach (a city built on the ruins of the ancient Giant capital).
After defeating (but not killing) the Stormreaver, and disarming his doomsday bomb, you find out that he was raising this army to combat yet another dangerous threat, believing that only he could save Ebberon from the return of the Quori.

In the Reaver's Reach pack, you are asked again by the dragons of Argonessen (through their ambassador in Stormreach, Cydonie), to help them. They send you to the lair of Tearnathear, the Celestial One, a blue dragon who is acting as prison guard to the Stormreaver since you defeated him in Gianthold.
Sor'jek Incanni, the Storm Giant Sorcerer from Tempest Spine, was one of the Stormreaver's lieutenants, but now has been risen from the dead by the dracolich, The Truthful One. Sor'jek is trapping the spirits of dragons and intends to animate them into an undead army serving the Truthful One. The players are able to confront and destroy Sorjek, but the Truthful One is still at large.

In the Inspired Quarter questline, you find that the Quori have taken over the distant city of Dar'Quat by controlling the minds of it's leaders. They are trying to enter Stormreach and covertly take over through spreading a phony religion, called "the Path of Inspiration", through which they weaken people's minds and control them with a Mindsunder. The Quori themselves are possessing and controlling the minds of powerful people, as they cannot physically enter our world by themselves without a host.
The players are able to destroy the Mindsunder, thus saving Stormreach from their control.

In the following "Dreaming Dark" story, you discover that the reason the Quori cannot physically enter our world is because of an object called "The Interdiction Lens", created together by the Stormreaver and the Truthful One to bar them from our plane of reality, thus ending the Giant-Quori War, and saving Ebberon. They discover the location of the Lens and send their Inspired agents to destroy it, but the players are able to repair it, and defeat the leader of the Quori in their native plane, the Dreaming Dark.

There you have it. One single story from quests of level 1 (Korthos) to 20 (Dreaming Dark).

And the story still continues, as the Truthful One is still at large.

How do people miss this? I have no background knowledge about Ebberon. This game, having started several months ago, was my first experience with the setting. I've read nothing more about it than I've found in game, yet all of this was pretty clear to me, just from reading quest descriptions.

SolarDawning
05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
For completeness' sake, I should also mention that many of the other low level quest lines tie in with the Stormreaver plot as well, but on a more subtle level.

Information is Key and the Baudry Cardamon line lead you to the Bugbear Smuggler, Haskill, who leads you to the quori in the Restless Isles.

Waterworks gives clues about the Seal of Shan-to-Kor, leading you there and then on to fight the re-forming giant armies.

Cerulean Hills is your first introduction to the Sharn Syndacate, who are behind encouraging the orcs to move there. Sharn Syndacate, as mentioned earlier, is your introduction to the dragons of Argonessen.

SolarDawning
05-04-2010, 09:51 PM
There is also the aforementioned secondary storyline of Necropolis-Black Abbot-Vale of Twilight-Shavarath, which ends leaving the Devil's power on Shavarath shattered with the death of First General Horoth, and with Arraetrikos escaped from his imprisonment at Horoth's hands.

I expect that these two major storylines will be tied together in the future, by throwing Arraetrikos together with the Truthful One in some future content. ;)

vettkinn
05-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Excellent comrade, I read the summary and was enlightened. +1

The Turbine peeps should expand on the YarrYarr storyline or the Sharn badguys, and will eventually allow us to go to Sharn, our (possibly) 2nd main city in the future :D

Morningfrost
05-05-2010, 02:05 AM
There you have it. One single story from quests of level 1 (Korthos) to 20 (Dreaming Dark).

Excellent description. I usually read NPC dialogs (some of them are well written, indeed). I'm new to Eberron, and I got many of this storylines.

If I understand correctly, Delera, Threnal, Sorrowdusk and Catacombs (and the new Sentinels, too) are separated storylines? They are quite cool anyway, very PnP style.

I leave Demon Sands out, because I guess it will be linked to some future Shavarath - Demons pack.