PDA

View Full Version : Since everyone is making a thread.....

ironfistvk
05-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Am gonna make one to and what more you cant stop. Well not everyone but meh I want to make a thread so am making it :P.

I wonder how many people on orien or ddo remember or even played games on the 8bit systems. Yup for the oldies (like me) its a blast from the past.....commodore 64 or for more newer generation windows 3.1x and for console people atari. Remember the games on those. Boy were they fun. Remember showing off the skills when you played them to your friends and having them go oh hey thats cool let me try too?

Games have evolved a lot since then to the current generation.

Crann
05-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Leisure Suite Larry.....FTW

bartosy
05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Am gonna make one to and what more you cant stop. Well not everyone but meh I want to make a thread so am making it :P.

I wonder how many people on orien or ddo remember or even played games on the 8bit systems. Yup for the oldies (like me) its a blast from the past.....commodore 64 or for more newer generation windows 3.1x and for console people atari. Remember the games on those. Boy were they fun. Remember showing off the skills when you played them to your friends and having them go oh hey thats cool let me try too?

only stuf worth replying too from my point of view. It started good tho in my opinion skip the rest its not worth it to make another flame war..

I had to admit tho,i had my laughs about it the first day but now it gets really old fast to the point it gets really annoying..

It's a computer game most people play, to forget about the drama and the daily boring routine in their lives.

Since you're one of the old guys who still remember the c64 i'm gonna show you something wich might bring a smile to your face if you don't know it yet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5_ZiNXsA5c

And yea what that stuf is about can only be understood by the old people who actually owned a c64. Where you actually had to load a game for 10~15 minutes before it was loaded up. These games weren't made by multi million dollar companies but just by 1 or 2 persons in general.The pioneers of video games would turn in there graves to see it eventually turned into some kind of bad rerun of beverly hills 90210..

- gwen

ironfistvk
05-03-2010, 09:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5_ZiNXsA5c

And yea what that stuf is about can only be understood by the old people who actually owned a c64. Where you actually had to load a game for 10~15 minutes before it was loaded up. These games weren't made by multi million dollar companies but just by 1 or 2 persons in general.The pioneers of video games would turn in there graves to see it eventually turned into some kind of bad rerun of beverly hills 90210..

- gwen

Rofl thats so true....aah commando......I loved that one....dang only one person for c64......mmmm how about win3.1x? Am sure we have people that played there. Dave, pyramid quest, prince of persia, Indy jones series.

LunaCee
05-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Lets see... TRS-80 Model III & IV. Monochrome and Green screen (known as the Trash 80 to a few of you), a TI-94A (I lost a LOT of time to Parsec!)

First actual x86 computer for me was a 286, on which the game I put the most time into was Wing Commander II Deluxe Edition. Dang thing took up almost all of the hard drive, but hey the game had speech synthesis and all kinds of neat features!

Crann
05-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I can't remember the model number, but I had a TI with a cassette player to load programs. Those new fangled C-64's where out of my price range back then.

JohnRove
05-03-2010, 12:51 PM
First, thank you for not making this what I thought it would be when I clicked the thread. Second, I love my old Win 3.1 games, I have several installed on my current comp I run in DosBox and I even have a win 3.1 machine that i am just waiting to get a monitor for, then I can play the games in their original glory.

Vanshilar
05-03-2010, 01:30 PM
The game I used to obsessively play when growing up was called "Space Rogue". I did a lot of messing around with it like renaming files and stuff to see what would happen, and inadvertently discovered stuff like how to walk through walls and play as other ships, neither of which you were able to do in the original game.

Anyway, eventually I wrote a walkthrough for it after the advent of the Internet, which is still around and (in my opinion) the most thorough one for the game out there.

I also played Curse of the Azure Bonds a lot, where a year or so ago I figured out how to change the saved files so that I could play as a fighter/thief/cleric/mage/paladin/ranger...expensive to level (although, of course, how much gold a char has is also in the saved file), but way overpowered, especially since classes that the game wasn't expecting a race to play (such as dwarf cleric) didn't have the racial level caps. This was done using Matlab of all things, because I don't have a true compiler or anything like that.

Since then, playing DDO for a bit over half a year now, I don't have any intentions of creating a walkthrough or anything like that for DDO (since there's just too many aspects to this game), but focus on what I like to do with any game I play, namely, figuring out little quirks and details that wouldn't be readily apparent. In terms of DDO, it would be stuff like figuring out proc rates and monster fort and stuff. A guildie was joking with me that when I got the lightning 2, the greatest thing about it was that I could finally test the lightning damage proc rate.

Cupcake
05-03-2010, 03:50 PM
My games were atari/NES... zelda the adventures of link and FF 3 when it was final fantasy 3.

Also liked a car racing game that I can't remember the name of, a pick up the crystals game that came out after being in Chuckie Cheeses for a while and Miss Pacman. Oh and Tetris.

Hellllboy
05-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Dude! Bards Tale 3 FTW! :)

REALb0r3d
05-03-2010, 07:13 PM
First system was a C-64. Had a 1200 baud modem, but since I was 8 I had no idea how to set it up :D

Xeriphim
05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
if were going to go retro , we need to talk about Atari and Pong . That's retro :P .

Mythal
05-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Dude! Bards Tale 3 FTW! :)

I know it came later and on a different platform but Kings Quest totally rocked and put out a whole new genre IMO. Hands down beats bards tale with hands tied behind back ;p

anyone ever play ADOM on c64?
hardly any graphics, mostly a text based MUD ported over from running on 8080 boards ;)
with the whole 64kb memory, it was improved so much it seemed like a whole new game! haha.
i found a recent redo of it that you can run on windows a few years back but i gotta say i am really enjoying the progression of games right now in the modern world ;) ...honestly I loved those days of gaming, its how i still see gaming (which is maybe more of a crutch for me than anything in the big wide MMO world), but something is just much more fascinating with what you can do nowadays with computers. its whats kept me in gaming development for 10 years now.

it definitely was fun to be an amatuer gamer and mucking around with game code/hardware being common practice just to load/play your game though. just to see a few dots on the screen, too...hehehe

3E..Stumagoo..
05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
lol atari 2600 then vic 20 then C 64 (or 3) then onto a 286 with dos and TURBO pumping out a huge 15mhz missed the 386 altogether and had a 486dx100 then a couple of p166's with a mixture of 3.1 3.11 and win 95. then AMD duron 800 and onto the machines we are more familiar with.

In the mddle years I also had a few sega master systems and an original PS with 2 video outputs so instead of split screen you used 2 TV's

Old games.
PAC MAN -atari
Tennis - atari
some sort of early street fighter I am sure - Atari ??? come on this was the early 80's I wasn't even 10
a few other games too long ago to remember - Atari

need for speed C64
Trek Star c64
aztec challenge c64
paper boy c64
720 degrees c64
and another 300 or so games some on cassette tape some on disc

wing man 286
prince of Persia 286
falcon 286
elite 286 (also available on many other platforms of the era)

the list goes on especially on the 286 and newer

Hi my name is Stumagoo I am a 36 year old gaming addict