PDA

View Full Version : New (I think) PVP Idea?

Joseph
05-01-2010, 06:23 PM
So - I personally do not like PVP, but there are many I encounter who either like it, or constantly ask about it (tell, etc.).

Would it be possible to sell a PVP flag for Turbine Points? Basically, it would mean that if you bought, for example, Tangleroot, and then also bought the PVP flag for Tangleroot, you would have the option to enter that area in PVP.

It also opens up many possibilities for drastic changes to gameplay (which some of us would enjoy) where self cast spells could damage (oops, cast that fireball too close - wall of fire cause you much damage?). I think some PD players would particularly enjoy this type of change, as would many hard core D&D players.

Alternatively, if DDO was considering it, they could announce a server with these conditions that required a Turbine Point purchase to access (players could buy 'interest' tickets for 10 or 100 TP to show interest, and then for 1,000 or something to that effect to actually be able to play on that server).

Just a few thoughts - maybe someone else wants to run with it?

Stermlin
05-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I would be all for it if I didn't think DDO PvP was so unbalanced. In PvP casters rule. There are some rare exceptions but overall a Wizard/Sorc will dominate with a wide variety of one shot kill spells to choose from. And that's if they don't dance you first.

Zuldar
05-01-2010, 06:44 PM
The only real form of pvp that would be balanced would be more of a competition; so for example, there could be specific quests that make use of raid mechanics and splits a full group into two teams. Each team would race through a quest full of monsters, traps, and puzzles to beat the other team to the end. The faster team could hit levers along the way making it more dangerous for the other team.

infernalmagiks
05-01-2010, 07:08 PM
The only real form of pvp that would be balanced would be more of a competition; so for example, there could be specific quests that make use of raid mechanics and splits a full group into two teams. Each team would race through a quest full of monsters, traps, and puzzles to beat the other team to the end. The faster team could hit levers along the way making it more dangerous for the other team.

Now personally I have no iterest in PvP in DDO... but I do like the idea of this.

It would negate the balance issues already mentioned and, in my opinion, actually be fun.

Memnir
05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I like it. Make all the PvP zones included in one pack, and price it pretty cheap. It'd still keep the new players out of the pits, where they are not quite prepared to venture.

Jendrak
05-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I like it. Make all the PvP zones included in one pack, and price it pretty cheap. It'd still keep the new players out of the pits, where they are not quite prepared to venture.

How about this?

Put each area seperatly for fairly cheap or a "bundle" with all of them for say 100 Tp cheaper than the cost of all of them seperatly.

jomonkey527
05-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I agree with the competition part. Maybe borrow from WOW, but ave cross server competition. Just a thought. But also with something that is a "world changing event."

Leighter
05-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I played Ultima Online for 5 years or so and it was set up this way.

One server was called Trammel and on this server there was no PvP. Theives could not pick your pockets and only after a time limit no one could loot your dead body.

Another server was called Felluca and was almost a mirror image of the other server and on this server PvP was allowed 100%. Theives picking pockets could happen anywhere and if you died your body was up for looting by anyone at anytime. If you did not want your good items picked or looted you had to find a bless deed(scroll) and use it on that item then when you died it went with your ghost. This would be similar to binding/bound to account(character) items.
This was very excitting because in Ultima Online there were not instances of open area like searing heights or instances of dungeons where you are guarenteed to be the only one/party. If you went in a dungeon there could be 50 other people in there competing for the same monsters. If you were on the Felluca side and in a dungeon a PvP'er could attack you and kill you and loot your pack or a theif could pick your pocket/backpack and get your loot.
However characters who did these things continually got a bad Reputation score in the game and were eventually killed on site from the town guards. So not being able to buy food or sell most of your average goods to make money was a negative for them. They have to rely on getting gold from their victims.

If you wanted to play in the PvP world you went there. If you just wanted to play the game without being bothered by PvP'ers you stay on the PVP side.

To balance out the point between mages insta-killing people all anyone had to do was hit them while they were casting and it interupted them and then a fighter had almost a clean kill ahead of him. But some spells took longer to cast than others helping the mage.

The people in charge of game balance in Ultima worked that one closely.

If DDO created a PVP server they would have to recraft the system a bit to give better game balance, especially since there is a concentration skill to keep spell interuption from happening.

If there was a PvP server I would make a character there if I thought I could have more things to do than the non PvP servers.
Pick pockets for Rogues on players, NPC's and monsters.
PvP anywhere(intown guards would interact with the unrulely maybe jail time)

The list could go on just look at Ultima one of the earliest if not the first MMORPG to come out.

If we had a PvP server where you could do more than the non-PvP server and were taking your chances at being the winner amongst other players or the loser amongst other players would you want to go there and make a character?