PDA

View Full Version : Monk Fists of Light/Darkness

Brother_Solar
04-29-2010, 11:01 AM
In my opinion, the three second cooldown should be reduced to a one second cooldown for Fists of Light and Fists of Darkness.

Here's my reasoning:

1. The ki cost is so high that there should be no concern about continuous spam of these abilities.

2. The damage added from these abilities (vs. undead for light) is not so great than anyone would try to spam them continuously. When using elemental strikes, you get two attack rolls due to GTWF, but with Fists of Light/Darkness, you only get one attack roll. Fists of Light/Darkness are not worth using over the elemental strikes for damage purposes.

3. There are no "higher levels" to these abilities. There is no Fists of Light II or III, just the plain-jane version you get at monk level 3. This means you can't expedite your finishing moves like you can with the elemental/buffing/debuffing finishers. Ten seconds dedicated to casting one heal or debuff is a bit extreme.

For these reasons, I hope the developers will consider changing the cooldown of these two abilities. They work currently, yes, but this small change would make them so much better without unbalancing them. Please give it some thought.

AylinIsAwesome
04-29-2010, 11:31 AM
/signed

Kyrn
04-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Alternatively, have new upgraded ki strikes at lv 18 or 20: Cost is 20 ki, 2d20 (to match grandmaster elemental ki strikes), with 1d50 crit (as opposed to vorpal). FoL base healing increased to 3. FoD Attempts to inflict fear (with the non-running-around fear change applied to Turn Undead), shaken on failure.

(technically, they can be spammable, but only in situations where the mob is likely very dead: crane or fire stance against stunned mob would generate 5/6 ki per hit, with TWF giving 2 hits per attack)

Brother_Solar
04-29-2010, 12:15 PM
(technically, they can be spammable, but only in situations where the mob is likely very dead: crane or fire stance against stunned mob would generate 5/6 ki per hit, with TWF giving 2 hits per attack)The greatest abuse I can think of for Fists of Light would be in Epic where you stun a mob and are beating it down for an extended period of time. You could heal up the melee in your party while you're all whacking away.

However, for end bosses and red-names, you wouldn't be able to do this (and would likely want to use your elemental strikes for DPS anyway), so the monk couldn't take the place of a real healer. It could save the healer a little mana in-between high stress fights, but I wouldn't consider that unbalancing.