PDA

View Full Version : Mario Bros SUCKS and so does your attempts at it

Leaveblank
04-28-2010, 05:23 AM
ENOUGH ... the Pit was bad enough ... now trying the Spies in the House from the new pack. It is @#%!%#$ stupid. After an hour of trying a jump at one spot, I quit and will NEVER play it again. Which of course means I will never get to see the rest of the new stuff from this module. I dont want to play jump at the tiny dot at just the exact right angle or fall all the way down and do again. I want to play Dung n Dragons NOT f-in Mario Bros. You need to fire the clowns that devised this **** and get in someone who actually played DnD. Dont worry about the persons you let go, I hear that Sonic the Hedgehog is being updated.

Arkat
04-28-2010, 05:24 AM
Hola Bienvenido

Borror0
04-28-2010, 05:37 AM
Different strokes for different folks.

lazylaz
04-28-2010, 05:44 AM
I enjoyed it. But then I also don't think Mario Bros sucks.

Kriogen
04-28-2010, 05:46 AM
If Super Mario would be the only available quest, I would not be here.

But if Super Mario is just one in 100 quests, Im fine. I don't like Super Mario, but if its an option in a small number of quests, thats good.

Allways just hack&slash is also damn boring.

Docta_PoPo
04-28-2010, 05:50 AM
OH NO!... Turbine made a dungeon where you have to strategically navigate... I CANT USE A PUZZLE SOLVER TO GET THROUGH THIS EASIER... MAKE IT EASIER OMG!...

And if your going to play the pnp card, dont just ... dont

flynnjsw
04-28-2010, 05:55 AM
Ok so your first post you decide to talk about 2 quests out of how many total? How about you take a look around the rest of the game before commenting on how 2 quests suck.

Calebro
04-28-2010, 05:55 AM
First of all, some people like that stuff.
Secondly, that's not part of the chain, it's entirely optional, which is why it will drop any of Goat, Lion or Dragon, unlike the others which only drop a specific one.

If you don't like it, you don't have to do it.

Stop crying please.

(sorry, that came off as a little more harsh than I intended)

sirdanile
04-28-2010, 06:01 AM
IF I could neg rep you I would, I love the pit, this new quest is pretty good, lag does affect the air vents though which hurts it a bit... besides you're bashing one of the classics.

RATRACE931
04-28-2010, 06:13 AM
The Pit is perhaps the best designed Dungeon in the entire game, and one of only a few that could even begin to represent PnP. Spies in the house was a good attempt by our "New" Dev team to recreate the geniusof The Pit, to which the only comment i think acceptable is, Mad Props Turbine. (Pun intended of course)

And in response to the OP, quests like Spies in the House and The Pit and a few others are for those of us who get extraordinarily tired of the boringly linear hack&slash dungeons that make up this great game.

Durion
04-28-2010, 06:34 AM
:D Wait until he tried to upgrade any Mindsunder loot he gets.

He reminds me of that thread a few months back when that guy quit because there was a puzzle *GASP* in his quest and he said that it was un-pnp like. So what do people actually do in pnp nowadays??

Rasczak
04-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Oh no you made something I can't do and don't like...

The reason we like DDO, it's diversity...including types of quests.

The fact you mention the Pit as being a bad quest though says it all.....I think a vote would show the odds to be in favour of it since it's one of the best.

MorningStarSE
04-28-2010, 07:02 AM
Ok so your first post you decide to talk about 2 quests out of how many total? How about you take a look around the rest of the game before commenting on how 2 quests suck.

And i bet he never tried to upgrade his IQ-item in the fountain of dream...

flynnjsw
04-28-2010, 07:05 AM
since he's talking about mid level quest i guess he never tasted the last IQII quest :rolleyes:

Or 2 of the Necro3 quests (we all know of which ones I spek...lol)...

Lorz
04-28-2010, 07:09 AM
ENOUGH ... the Pit was bad enough ... now trying the Spies in the House from the new pack. It is @#%!%#$ stupid. After an hour of trying a jump at one spot, I quit and will NEVER play it again. Which of course means I will never get to see the rest of the new stuff from this module. I dont want to play jump at the tiny dot at just the exact right angle or fall all the way down and do again. I want to play Dung n Dragons NOT f-in Mario Bros. You need to fire the clowns that devised this **** and get in someone who actually played DnD. Dont worry about the persons you let go, I hear that Sonic the Hedgehog is being updated.

Mmmmm. The newb stew is almost ready.

Way to make an entrance.

/nobody cares
//let me suggest you go play My Little Pony it's great for newbs
/// and to point out i think your full of "Dung n Dragons"

Durion
04-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Wow, he's only at one post and has earned the ire of the forumites.

Ever post something and wish you could take it off. :D

Alot harder to do now that its been quoted a few times.

Just sayin'.

Kepli_Moonshadow
04-28-2010, 07:17 AM
I ARE TEH UBER!!

I appreciate your rant. No I don't, justy kidding! :D

Do coal chamber, you'll wipe- I promise. Then you'll post about that.

Then you'll tell us how broken Harry is in the shroud, and how you should AT LEAST be able to 3 hit him.

OR, maybe you should switch out your dice.

Or, buy a jump pot.

Or, learn how to mouse-view jump.

Nah, just quit. This game sucks.

rimble
04-28-2010, 07:27 AM
IF I could neg rep you I would, I love the pit, this new quest is pretty good, lag does affect the air vents though which hurts it a bit... besides you're bashing one of the classics.

Yeah, I'm fine with the Mario stuff, but the latency of the game can't keep up with the air jets and those parts are pretty much always a frustrating pain in my ass. I wouldn't mind a little something there to smoothe out those parts.

Calebro
04-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Yeah, I'm fine with the Mario stuff, but the latency of the game can't keep up with the air jets and those parts are pretty much always a frustrating pain in my ass. I wouldn't mind a little something there to smoothe out those parts.

Don't try to aim during the air-jet throw. Nine times out of ten it will push you exactly where you need to go if you simply let it.

Lorz
04-28-2010, 07:31 AM

Try getting a better Internet connection. If you have latency issues all the time....it's on your end.

rimble
04-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Don't try to aim during the air-jet throw. Nine times out of ten it will push you exactly where you need to go if you simply let it.

Well, not just here, anywhere. Pit, Monastery, etc. You stand there, jet goes off...then you suddenly blip ahead and you missed the ledge and you're falling...

Try getting a better Internet connection. If you have latency issues all the time....it's on your end.

You really think so? It's not 'all the time'. My connection isn't ghetto, but do you see your character actually travel smoothely along the distance every time you use an air jet? You never blip ahead to see you've missed your landing? Is your internet connection fairly standard or are you lording your FIOS over me?

Girlbrush
04-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Sometimes that can't be helped, especially if you happen to live outside the US.

ArloOne
04-28-2010, 07:40 AM
OP I totally hear where your coming from. I was lucky, I found that part of the quest to be super easy. So, I went back and tryed again. Yep, not to bad atl all. Have not failed in 4 attempts. I am not trying to be mean, but maybe you just don't have the skills for this. I reccomend trying out "Donkey Kong" you will find it can teach you how to time your jumps. And you can most likely relate to one of the words in the title. ^

flynnjsw
04-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Yeah, friends will tell you that my Mario-Fu is not up to par either, but I get by, and certainly do not come here to rant about it...lol

Lorz
04-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Well, not just here, anywhere. Pit, Monastery, etc. You stand there, jet goes off...then you suddenly blip ahead and you missed the ledge and you're falling...

You really think so? It's not 'all the time'. My connection isn't ghetto, but do you see your character actually travel smoothely along the distance every time you use an air jet? You never blip ahead to see you've missed your landing? Is your internet connection fairly standard or are you lording your FIOS over me?

Nope just Comcast. Usually 40~60ms lat. I suspect you've got other issues on your end. Realize latency is usually between you and them. Occasionally I have lag..but for the most part its smooth. It just bugs me how people always blame turbine for lag....when most lag is enroute...and this is not the fault of Turbine. But they are the easy target....and most people have no clue how the Internet actually works.

Just saying analyze the connection next time your getting lag....I'll bet you a coke it's between the two points and not on their end. They got a lot more bandwidth.

Tumarek
04-28-2010, 08:00 AM

Since i'm based in europa the jets are very frustrating. Nothing i can do about it. But still had a blast playing the jump and run levels in ddo. and they are all optional... So OP has nothing and should go in hiding :)

rimble
04-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Nope just Comcast. Usually 40~60ms lat. I suspect you've got other issues on your end. Realize latency is usually between you and them. Occasionally I have lag..but for the most part its smooth. It just bugs me how people always blame turbine for lag....when most lag is enroute...and this is not the fault of Turbine. But they are the easy target....and most people have no clue how the Internet actually works.

Just saying analyze the connection next time your getting lag....I'll bet you a coke it's between the two points and not on their end. They got a lot more bandwidth.

No idea what my latency numbers are, don't really care since aside from raids and air jets the game is fine. Again, it's just the air jets. I'm not blaming Turbine for any other random spurts of lag I may have (well, ok, they can suck it on raid lag too). It always seemed to me the air jets accelerated me too quickly that by the time my client and the server sync'd up again I was already farther ahead than my client knew. Sometimes amidst the lag my character grabbed the ledge or whatever, so that works.

Anyways, there aren't enough air jets for me to really care about going into troubleshooting mode and I'm not paying another $10-20 a month for the bandwidth to make an air jet jump or two on the first try. I miss the jump a couple times, curse at the screen, make the jump, and move on.

Still interesting to hear people have completely smoothe air jet experiences. You're right in that I assumed it was on Turbines end since the game runs fine any other time. Well, and it's not so much as they have a problem necessarily, just that I thought the air jets accelerated me too quickly for the client/server to keep in sync. Heck, could just be my graphics settings are too high, never tried lowering them at those times either.

Sirea
04-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Well, looks like everyone else took care of the trolling. So, OP, let me tell you a little story.

Short after I started this game now over two years ago, I did my first Pit run on my second character ever. It was probably one of the worst experiences in my time in this game. The party leader absolutely refused to slow down or come back for me, even tho I stated I hadn't done the quest before. My husband, who was also in the group, finally managed to get me to a shrine (I'd died, obviously), but by then we were so hopelessly lost I was nearly in tears, and by then the party leader had probably squelched me because he completely ignored me the rest of the quest. I didn't do the Pit for months afterward. I also had very strong sentiments towards Coalescence Chamber when I ran that for the first time and fell down nearly every shaft. Also, our first Inferno of the Damned took probably close to 2 hours to complete. I developed a distaste for the Titan raid because all I was told to do was sit like a good girl and wait for the puzzles to get done. At any point I could have come on the forums and whined and complained and threatened to quit because there were a couple of quests I didn't like, merely because I didn't know them well enough.

My husband however, took it upon himself to learn Pit, CC, and Inferno, and get good at running them. So now at least I could follow him around. Slowly I started to pick up where to go and what to do. I found guides and walk-throughs and read them to better understand the quests. I asked questions when I ran the quest with others. I completely took it upon myself to learn the Titan puzzles (and now feel comfortable enough teaching them to others).The crux of my lessons with these quests was when I decided to hike up my big girl panties and solo them (or in the case of Titan, do as much as I could solo). I cannot tell you how empowering it was to go into quests that once brought me to tears with frustration, be able to solo them, and succeed. Maybe not the cleanest victories at the time, but I still did it. And now quests like these are among my favorites.

TL;DR Version: Try to at least learn these quests before you stomp off in defeat and claim Turbine messed up. Learning, and conquering, a quest you once hated can be an awesome feeling. If anything, I think the game needs more of these opportunities for players to actually use their brains and engage in some problem-solving to get it done.

Therilith
04-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Mario Bros SUCKS

You automatically fail at everything ever and your mother possesses many undesirable traits.

Lorz
04-28-2010, 08:28 AM
No idea what my latency numbers are, don't really care since aside from raids and air jets the game is fine. Again, it's just the air jets. I'm not blaming Turbine for any other random spurts of lag I may have (well, ok, they can suck it on raid lag too). It always seemed to me the air jets accelerated me too quickly that by the time my client and the server sync'd up again I was already farther ahead than my client knew. Sometimes amidst the lag my character grabbed the ledge or whatever, so that works.

Anyways, there aren't enough air jets for me to really care about going into troubleshooting mode and I'm not paying another $10-20 a month for the bandwidth to make an air jet jump or two on the first try. I miss the jump a couple times, curse at the screen, make the jump, and move on.

Still interesting to hear people have completely smoothe air jet experiences. You're right in that I assumed it was on Turbines end since the game runs fine any other time. Well, and it's not so much as they have a problem necessarily, just that I thought the air jets accelerated me too quickly for the client/server to keep in sync. Heck, could just be my graphics settings are too high, never tried lowering them at those times either.

Yeah it could very well be a graphics issue. Try doing it with them turned down. Also are you on a home network or running anything else on the machine. I run a dedicated pc for gaming. It runs nothing but this game. I don't even run a browser on it...just ddo. Are you on dsl or cable? Usually cable is more problematic with local loads..but if yout at the edge of a dsl (dslam). Then this can greatly effect performance. Anyways hope this helps. Lag sucks.

azrael4h
04-28-2010, 08:30 AM
In Spies in the House, I found that you have to place yourself perfectly, or the jets will fling you into a wall/platform. Stand at the very back of the grate instead of the front. That said, I only had troubles once I got past that point, and the jets; whether they were firing or not, kept flinging me back onto the ground off of a pipe. Past that point, there was nothing.

My internet is fine, usually under 50ms. It's probably just server lag. A few thousand players on at once is not exactly going to be conductive to a lag-free environment.

If you want to complain, complain about the quests like in 3 Barrel Cove or House P (I think) that require 2 or more people to finish, yet make no mention of it. I hate getting halfway or even further in, only to find out I need someone to open a valve for me while I do something else.

And SMB3 and SMW rocked. The rest I could do without but those two rank as some of the best platforming you can get.

Memnir
04-28-2010, 08:43 AM
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx86/EnPsyane01/Mario-1.jpg
Mario the Hedgehog?

Anyways - I quite enjoy Spies, and think it is a fine addition to the game. It is different, but different does not mean it's bad.

OP, if you found it not to your liking. then don't run it again. I promise, the quest won't feel bad. Find something else to run, unclench the jaw, and have fun with it.

Rasczak
04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Well, looks like everyone else took care of the trolling. So, OP, let me tell you a little story.

Short after I started this game now over two years ago, I did my first Pit run on my second character ever. It was probably one of the worst experiences in my time in this game. The party leader absolutely refused to slow down or come back for me, even tho I stated I hadn't done the quest before. My husband, who was also in the group, finally managed to get me to a shrine (I'd died, obviously), but by then we were so hopelessly lost I was nearly in tears, and by then the party leader had probably squelched me because he completely ignored me the rest of the quest. I didn't do the Pit for months afterward. I also had very strong sentiments towards Coalescence Chamber when I ran that for the first time and fell down nearly every shaft. Also, our first Inferno of the Damned took probably close to 2 hours to complete. I developed a distaste for the Titan raid because all I was told to do was sit like a good girl and wait for the puzzles to get done. At any point I could have come on the forums and whined and complained and threatened to quit because there were a couple of quests I didn't like, merely because I didn't know them well enough.

My husband however, took it upon himself to learn Pit, CC, and Inferno, and get good at running them. So now at least I could follow him around. Slowly I started to pick up where to go and what to do. I found guides and walk-throughs and read them to better understand the quests. I asked questions when I ran the quest with others. I completely took it upon myself to learn the Titan puzzles (and now feel comfortable enough teaching them to others).The crux of my lessons with these quests was when I decided to hike up my big girl panties and solo them (or in the case of Titan, do as much as I could solo). I cannot tell you how empowering it was to go into quests that once brought me to tears with frustration, be able to solo them, and succeed. Maybe not the cleanest victories at the time, but I still did it. And now quests like these are among my favorites.

TL;DR Version: Try to at least learn these quests before you stomp off in defeat and claim Turbine messed up. Learning, and conquering, a quest you once hated can be an awesome feeling. If anything, I think the game needs more of these opportunities for players to actually use their brains and engage in some problem-solving to get it done.

Perfect example of most complaints.

Perfect example of a leader who should not lead.

I have a similar situation, most quests when released, I jump into to learn and normally wipe first few times & I expect this. My gf on the other hand is riding my coattails being a completely new player to DDO and games in general. Because of this, she now asks the right questions and when jumping into any quest with her I am confident that she fills up the party slot and may not get the best kill count or do the most solving. But she will be a beneficial player to a group even with her newbie status and lack of knowledge of those quests.

Adding to those same examples you have given; All Necro quests, Titan Flagging quests and Raid, Pit, ToD Flagging, Coal, Dust, Enter the Kobold, Tempest Spine, Threnal etc etc.

You generally find it's the quests that need a bit of thought to complete or are quite difficult without a person who knows them inside out but every time you get into it the party charges off and you get lost, completely confused and definitely not in a situation to enjoy yourself. People have been zerging these since they came out so why should they stop to help a new player out? Well for me helping those newbies out means we all have a good time.

After you get past the hurdle of learning a quest you'll find they become part of your favourites ;)

Lorz
04-28-2010, 08:46 AM
In Spies in the House, I found that you have to place yourself perfectly, or the jets will fling you into a wall/platform. Stand at the very back of the grate instead of the front. That said, I only had troubles once I got past that point, and the jets; whether they were firing or not, kept flinging me back onto the ground off of a pipe. Past that point, there was nothing.

My internet is fine, usually under 50ms. It's probably just server lag. A few thousand players on at once is not exactly going to be conductive to a lag-free environment.

If you want to complain, complain about the quests like in 3 Barrel Cove or House P (I think) that require 2 or more people to finish, yet make no mention of it. I hate getting halfway or even further in, only to find out I need someone to open a valve for me while I do something else.

And SMB3 and SMW rocked. The rest I could do without but those two rank as some of the best platforming you can get.

Almost everything you think requires more than 1 player....have been soloed. No guest in 3bc requires more than 1player.... What quest in house p requires more than 1player? Pretty sure I've soloed them all.

And latency is only one small part of lag. But hey i realize this is about as complex as most users can comprehend. Realize it can be any where enroute to Turbine...and that routing is based upon your connection.

/ why do I even bother ....

rimble
04-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Almost everything you think requires more than 1 player....have been soloed. No guest in 3bc requires more than 1player.... What quest in house p requires more than 1player? Pretty sure I've soloed them all.

And latency is only one small part of lag. But hey i realize this is about as complex as most users can comprehend. Realize it can be any where enroute to Turbine...and that routing is based upon your connection.

The uh...I dunno, undead one outside the lower tavern...when you turn the lever you get locked in a cage...the release lever is outside of it. Of course nowadays you can just sacrifice a hireling in the cage, I always cackle at that one.

Drakos
04-28-2010, 08:49 AM

What server you on? I can help, I've done this quest many times and it isn't that bad once you find a decent path through.

Chai
04-28-2010, 08:50 AM

Yeah, I agree the jump mechanic sucks, but DnD is more than just a hack and slash game with a few fireworks thrown in.

I love the pit. Its the perfect quest to take all the whiners and min maxers who used to play WOW and EQ to, in order to illustrate the differences between a tank and spank oriented game and having a dynamic that requires you to think once in a while.

Drakos
04-28-2010, 08:56 AM

I don't get any latency with the air jets.

epochofcrepuscule
04-28-2010, 08:58 AM
:D Wait until he tried to upgrade any Mindsunder loot he gets.

He reminds me of that thread a few months back when that guy quit because there was a puzzle *GASP* in his quest and he said that it was un-pnp like. So what do people actually do in pnp nowadays??

Hack and slash? Ill bet its all kobold wizards with 8 int as well. Yet they still need DM interference to keep from wiping.

What happened to real D&D? *sniff* *sniff*

Drakos
04-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah, friends will tell you that my Mario-Fu is not up to par either, but I get by, and certainly do not come here to rant about it...lol

I suck at Mario Brother type games, but I really didn't have a problem with this quest. As someone said, the jets prety much send you where you need to go and you only need to use them what 3 times. All the other places you can get to without them if you have any kind of jump score at all.

Tovenar
04-28-2010, 09:08 AM

You sir have never played a good game of PnP. Dungeons and Dragons is superior to any game because it is EVERY genre of game, it is an Action-Adventure-Shooter-Construction and Mangement and Life and Vehicle Simulation-Role Playing-Strategy-Music-Party-Puzzle-Sport-Trivia-Board-Political Game.

I don't like EVERY genre of game, but most people like at least a few. So guess what, there will be quests that are oriented around a certain genre that you don't like. Such as platforming for you, or Sport games for me.

Don't get upset that every quest isn't tailored to your every like. Instead relish the fact that there is so much variability within the game.

Thorzian
04-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Sometimes that can't be helped, especially if you happen to live outside the US.

yer kidding right? i'll take my non US internet anyday over their craptacular comcast garbage.

Girlbrush
04-28-2010, 09:14 AM
yer kidding right? i'll take my non US internet anyday over their craptacular comcast garbage.

You can have my 300ms then and crappy ISP customer service.

Drakos
04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
First I'd ask, Soloed, or Soloed but used a henchman?

Secondly, There is a quest in the Necropolis where you need to unlock two levers using a single red gear that cannot be done with a henchman. I run a monk who moves fairely fast than cannot get from one lever to the other fast enough. You need to have two people, you unlock one lever and hand the gear through the bars to the other player. How do you solo that one?

Drakos
04-28-2010, 09:21 AM
The uh...I dunno, undead one outside the lower tavern...when you turn the lever you get locked in a cage...the release lever is outside of it. Of course nowadays you can just sacrifice a hireling in the cage, I always cackle at that one.

No real need to sacrafice a hireling. You go ther first, hit the switch, kill the spawn, hit the switch again then place the Hireling then leave the aera and have him interact. Once you hit the switch past the gate that he opened his gate opens as well.

Dagone
04-28-2010, 09:29 AM
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx86/EnPsyane01/Mario-1.jpg
Mario the Hedgehog?

Anyways - I quite enjoy Spies, and think it is a fine addition to the game. It is different, but different does not mean it's bad.

OP, if you found it not to your liking. then don't run it again. I promise, the quest won't feel bad. Find something else to run, unclench the jaw, and have fun with it.

+1 for the nickname reference

Rasczak
04-28-2010, 09:29 AM

Rest for the Restless.

Either way my idea of soloing and other people's idea are different. I'm pre-hireling so soloing is still for me only one character in the quest, it can be argued hirelings don't count but meh....solo as in one, not one and a half.

rimble
04-28-2010, 09:33 AM
No real need to sacrafice a hireling. You go ther first, hit the switch, kill the spawn, hit the switch again then place the Hireling then leave the aera and have him interact. Once you hit the switch past the gate that he opened his gate opens as well.

What's the fun in that?

Drakos
04-28-2010, 09:38 AM
What's the fun in that?

Ohhh, well I never said it was fun not to watch them be ripped to shreads, just that it wasn't compleatly required. YMMV :)

Angelus_dead
04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
ENOUGH ... the Pit was bad enough ... now trying the Spies in the House from the new pack. It is @#%!%#$ stupid.
It is true that Turbine's network update software design cannot effectively handle the sudden bursts of acceleration from the air jet elements, leaving them often unsatisfying gameplay even to people who like that kind of thing. They'd be well advised to stop trying to use them as if players all had as responsive connections as the developers to (or to instruct programmers to implement a higher order of client-side prediction).

Which of course means I will never get to see the rest of the new stuff from this module.
No, it does not mean that. Spies in the House is not a prerequisite for any other quest. If you don't do it, you don't do it.

Angelus_dead
04-28-2010, 09:44 AM
most lag is enroute...and this is not the fault of Turbine.
Nope. Accounting for latency of the network you will be using is part of the responsibility of a software developer. If the designer knows that X% of customers have Y latency and continues to build content that calls for <Y, that's her fault.

Missing_Minds
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Hack and slash? Ill bet its all kobold wizards with 8 int as well. Yet they still need DM interference to keep from wiping.

What happened to real D&D? *sniff* *sniff*

Well.. before it was 4.0, it was all about kobold sorcs and naming them pun pun actually.

rimble
04-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Well.. before it was 4.0, it was all about kobold sorcs and naming them pun pun actually.

Meh, only if your DM was a complete putz.

rest
04-28-2010, 09:48 AM
First I'd ask, Soloed, or Soloed but used a henchman?

Secondly, There is a quest in the Necropolis where you need to unlock two levers using a single red gear that cannot be done with a henchman. I run a monk who moves fairely fast than cannot get from one lever to the other fast enough. You need to have two people, you unlock one lever and hand the gear through the bars to the other player. How do you solo that one?

Unlock your lever and step back before you pull it. It will stay unlocked. Call you hireling to the unlocked lever and park him. Wait for the gates to open up. Go to the other locked lever, leaving your hireling at the first lever. Unlock the second lever and step back before you complete pulling it. Then target the lever by your hireling and click the "use" button, then immediately pull your lever.

VoilĂ*!!

Rasczak
04-28-2010, 09:50 AM

First we need kobolds as a playable race and add fast wildshape...hmm......

Missing_Minds
04-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Meh, only if your DM was a complete putz.

*points at the op post* Now it makes sense, doesn't it?

rimble
04-28-2010, 09:51 AM
*points at the op post* Now it makes sense, doesn't it?

Oh snap! No you din't!

azrael4h
04-28-2010, 12:21 PM

The one where you put the turtle icon back together. All I've read says that the last piece cannot be gotten without two people.

The other is either House P or J, can't recall. There's a valve you turn that locks you in, but opens the gate you need to move forward. You need one person to pull that one, then another to go to the next valve which opens the trap back up.

Neither is a problem to do solo, except those two parts. BTW, I didn't use hirelings. Never do either, since then it's no longer soloing. It's more like a bad pug. Except not as bad as a pug. ;)

I don't care if any quest is not soloable, just let me know BEFORE I enter and complete half of it. That annoys me more than anything else, as it means I've just completely wasted my time. In the case of the 3BC quest, I spent an hour and a half trying to find a workaround before going to the forums and searching. All for a few pieces of loot that I had no use for.

rimble
04-28-2010, 12:35 PM
The one where you put the turtle icon back together. All I've read says that the last piece cannot be gotten without two people.

That's not true, after you pull that valve for the last piece you just have to run all the way back around through the quest. No hirelings or second player or fancy tricks required. (I'll admit it's been a long time since I've done that quest, so I'll concede something may have changed.)

The other is either House P or J, can't recall. There's a valve you turn that locks you in, but opens the gate you need to move forward. You need one person to pull that one, then another to go to the next valve which opens the trap back up.

Well, I guess the only totally-solo valid way is via Dimension Door. Just because you lack that tool doesn't make the quest broken though. I don't think the quests need to be made aware of every permutation of every ability and then warn you accordingly. "WARNING: This quest can only be REALLY solo'd if you have Dimension Door, or this, or that...or, well, if you're a Human you might have..." However, you could always recall and re-enter and take the XP hit, or just accept that there are some things in this world you can't do alone and bring a hireling for that one bit.

Do you really not run Delera's (extra pair of hands required)? If so, that makes pandas sad. =(

Drakos
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Neither is a problem to do solo, except those two parts. BTW, I didn't use hirelings. Never do either, since then it's no longer soloing. It's more like a bad pug. Except not as bad as a pug. ;)

You don't have to use them for anything except the "need to people" part. You still fight all the mods/traps/etc... But to each his own.

cdemeritt
04-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Lol... your first post and already 2 red boxes... Hi and welcome....

P.S. My twitch skills suck, never was able to get past lvl 4 of Super Mario Brothers... But, there are pleanty of quests that don't need jumping skills to run...

Ithrani
04-28-2010, 12:59 PM
The OP overreacts but yeah this quest does suck, the design it not good for many players with any type of lag issues and the air bursts can send you in the wrong direction very easily. Overall it is also poorly designed, I also thought of the pit when running this. I don't have lag problems typically but a 2nd run in here I hit some server lag that made me very frustrated with the constant miss shots from air bursts or missing the ledge that should be right there for me to grab or land on.

It is poor quest design when hitting your head while jumping for a ledge makes you miss, but you have no choice but to jump like that because the Devs didn't think to move the ceiling up a touch. Also shows how poorly the QA team explores these quests and finds these flaws.

azrael4h
04-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I didn't say it was "Broken". Reading comprehension FTW! I said it can't be completed solo. "Broken" is a far cry from not being able to complete it solo. Unless you have no sense of perspective. In which case, I feel sorry for you being on the internet.

Pit certainly warns you. So does Gwylan's IIRC, and even Redwillow has a warning, despite being able to be soloed at normal with a level 5 Cleric (easily, until the Giants). It doesn't have to say anything other than "This quest may require 2 or more people". Then I'll know to hit 'o' or see if a guildy is on with enough levels that we won't have an xp hit. Rather than spend time better spent elsewhere for no reward. If I liked that kind of gameplay, I'd play Doom 2.

I did a google search on the 3BC one, and all I could find was that you needed two people. *shrug* I take no responsibility for the accuracy of it, just what I found. Since I can't hardly find anyone running it, I took it at face value and haven't been back. My guild is planning on it soon I think though. We're running Delera's now. Though I soloed the first part without trouble until the end, when the massive spawning of skeletons lagged everything. Been trying not to get too far ahead of my guild with that character, since I'm the main healer. Basically, other than a broken weapon, that was the extent.

I try to run stuff a level higher quite often. I first tried the Pit solo with a level 6 Paladin. :P Needless to say, it was fun in the Dwarf Fortress sense. Didn't help when I fell down into a pit. Can't convince my guild to run it, since half the players aren't good (to be mild) at jumps. Getting the adventurer's pack in WW3 is a challenge for one of them. I remember Necro's Doom standing around for a while waiting for that one to make it to the arcane skelly's chest.

Drakos
04-28-2010, 01:07 PM
The OP overreacts but yeah this quest does suck, the design it not good for many players with any type of lag issues and the air bursts can send you in the wrong direction very easily. Overall it is also poorly designed, I also thought of the pit when running this. I don't have lag problems typically but a 2nd run in here I hit some server lag that made me very frustrated with the constant miss shots from air bursts or missing the ledge that should be right there for me to grab or land on.

It is poor quest design when hitting your head while jumping for a ledge makes you miss, but you have no choice but to jump like that because the Devs didn't think to move the ceiling up a touch. Also shows how poorly the QA team explores these quests and finds these flaws.

For me the most infuriating part if fighting the elementals, which ineviatably move out over the electrified floor were you can't melee them. Yeah, you can still lure them back into a melee position, it's justt a pain. I still enjoyed the quest.

rimble
04-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I didn't say it was "Broken". Reading comprehension FTW! I said it can't be completed solo. "Broken" is a far cry from not being able to complete it solo. Unless you have no sense of perspective. In which case, I feel sorry for you being on the internet.

Really have no idea why you'd bust an attitude. Stopped reading after that. Stopped responding after this.

Bowser_Koopa
04-28-2010, 01:23 PM

As the one and only Bowserkoopa, I must address this.

Yes OP the Mario Bros do suck, I totally agree with you here, however I do have to protest something. My plan to kill them using various platforms and traps is nothing short of genius!!!

How else could I possibly deal with these annoying plumbers? My minions the Koopa Troopa's while great and cool looking have failed to get the job done time and time again. So what do I do, I come up with a brilliant scheme, if they can't get to me they certainly can't rescue the princess.

Genius I tell you pure genius. So you keep crying about "platforming" and twitch skills, and I'll stick to what I'm good at, kidnapping the Princess being the baddest Koopa around and developing more and more creative ways to finally kill those accursed Plumbers.

Lorz
04-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Ok seems I'm gonna have to enlighten a few here on a few of the quests mentioned.

House p - believe it is purge the heretics...but the one with the lever that locks you in..as noted by previoous poster use a hirelings..or DD out.....or recall out and jump back in...sure you take xp hit....but you can solo it without casting or hirelings.

3bc. All can be done solo. Name it and I'll explain it if needed. Doesn't require any special tricks

The turtle one may require...honestly haven't spent any ,time yet trying to solo.

But if you search the forums most everything has been soloed...even raids....even on elite........

Part2 deleras needs 2 or a hirelings for a switch. Part 1,3,4 all can be done solo.

Sirea
04-28-2010, 01:30 PM
As the one and only Bowserkoopa, I must address this.

Yes OP the Mario Bros do suck, I totally agree with you here, however I do have to protest something. My plan to kill them using various platforms and traps is nothing short of genius!!!

How else could I possibly deal with these annoying plumbers? My minions the Koopa Troopa's while great and cool looking have failed to get the job done time and time again. So what do I do, I come up with a brilliant scheme, if they can't get to me they certainly can't rescue the princess.

Genius I tell you pure genius. So you keep crying about "platforming" and twitch skills, and I'll stick to what I'm good at, kidnapping the Princess being the baddest Koopa around and developing more and more creative ways to finally kill those accursed Plumbers.

/waves

Hi Nick :D

I actually thought of you while reading this :p

Sirea
04-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Pit certainly warns you. So does Gwylan's IIRC, and even Redwillow has a warning, despite being able to be soloed at normal with a level 5 Cleric (easily, until the Giants). It doesn't have to say anything other than "This quest may require 2 or more people". Then I'll know to hit 'o' or see if a guildy is on with enough levels that we won't have an xp hit. Rather than spend time better spent elsewhere for no reward. If I liked that kind of gameplay, I'd play Doom 2.

Spies can be soloed, husband did it the day it came out (AFAIK, without hirelings). Pit can be soloed, I've done it several times (without hirelings). Gwylan's certainly can be soloed, and I don't know why the in-game text would lead you to believe otherwise. Running through the quest mentally ATM, and can't think of anywhere where you need 2 people in Gwylan's. :confused:

Linenoise2
04-28-2010, 01:43 PM

I just wanted to echo this. I first did The Pit about 2 years ago. It was the single worst in-game experience I ever had. I did not do The Pit for another 18 months. Then one day a friend of mine expresses an interest in doing it. I start on my doomsaying, telling him good luck, count me out, etc. Finally one day I break down and agree to do The Pit with him. It was terrible the first run but the experience points were too good to ignore. So we decided that we would keep running The Pit until we knew it inside-out. Our goal was to be able to zerg thru it in as little time as possible. It did not take long to get the hang of it and now we run it on a regular basis. Plus we now have an inside joke anytime someone asks if we want to do The Pit. :)

Bowser_Koopa
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
/waves

Hi Nick :D

I actually thought of you while reading this :p

Yeah well someone had to defend the great invention of platforming into a seemingly bottomless pit to kill off the plumbers.

I tell you no one respects genius around here.

cdemeritt
04-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I just wanted to echo this. I first did The Pit about 2 years ago. It was the single worst in-game experience I ever had. I did not do The Pit for another 18 months. Then one day a friend of mine expresses an interest in doing it. I start on my doomsaying, telling him good luck, count me out, etc. Finally one day I break down and agree to do The Pit with him. It was terrible the first run but the experience points were too good to ignore. So we decided that we would keep running The Pit until we knew it inside-out. Our goal was to be able to zerg thru it in as little time as possible. It did not take long to get the hang of it and now we run it on a regular basis. Plus we now have an inside joke anytime someone asks if we want to do The Pit. :)

I had similar feeling after running Coal chamber... I frequently solo this now when bored... And Same with Prey for the Hunter... The first time I ran that one, I swore I'd never do it again... combo of all my most hated dungeons in the game... now, I look forward to it... 3 runs of prey better than 1 SoS... Getting upset about 1 or 2 dungeons that you don't know inside and out, well, that's just silly.

Kheledon
04-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I agree with the sentiment expressed by the OP. All the jumping is silly, and it is not D&D.